Who produces diesel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Recently, I filled up at a Shell station and saw a sign on the pump that stated: Diesel sold here is not a Shell product.
If it isn't is there an independent diesel fuel manufacturer? Are there many manufacturers?

The story is that fuels (gasoline) come from a local refinery and have proprietary additives added based upon brand.

I can't see why diesel would be different.

CountryMark.
16-CM-1395%20Construction%20410x90.jpg

Quote:
Four CountryMark terminals are strategically located along the pipeline in Mt. Vernon, Switz City, Jolietville and Peru, Indiana. State-of-the-art ethanol and biodiesel blending technology can be found at each CountryMark terminal. Here, CountryMark member companies have access to both proprietary, and non-proprietary fuels, while non-members have access to non-proprietary fuels.

From the terminal racks, fuels are trucked to retail fuel stations, end users and/or bulk fuel facilities.

Last edited:
I believe if your refining crude you will get some number 2 fuel oil which is diesel and gasoline and other distillates.

I have seen the same sign about diesel at a Excon/Mobil station.

I'm pretty sure it's nearly impossible to refine crude oil without making something close to diesel. And for the most part base fuel is a generic commodity.

It could just be "branded" as some generic that's not distributed through Shell. Maybe the station has some special contract with Shell that allows them to purchase diesel on the spot market. Shell definitely has branded (and generic) diesel. The EPA website lists 5 different Shell entities, and all but Shell Puerto Rico list "Shell Branded and Unbranded Diesel" as registered fuels.

https://www3.epa.gov/otaq/fuels1/ffars/web-fuel.htm

As said many times. Gasoline and diesel is the same. The only thing that makes it different is the additive package added in at the terminal.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
As said many times. Gasoline and diesel is the same. The only thing that makes it different is the additive package added in at the terminal.

No. There is a difference on some things.

What is most likely happening is that Shell just doesn't market diesel to that particular region. It could be that they are swapping barrels and the gas isn't even from a shell refinery just a shell additive. Could be a number of other causes.

Originally Posted By: jhellwig

No. There is a difference on some things.

What is most likely happening is that Shell just doesn't market diesel to that particular region. It could be that they are swapping barrels and the gas isn't even from a shell refinery just a shell additive. Could be a number of other causes.

Well - I'm pretty sure that gasoline and diesel aren't literally the same.

There are of course going to be measurable differences. However, the vast majority of gasoline sold in the United States is a commodity that meets certain requirements for its classification. It's still a fungible commodity, where it's effectively interchangeable to the point where any base fuel meeting the requirements that's finished with the additive package can legally be marketed as a branded product. And often the base fuel is commingled with equivalent fuel from multiple refineries.

And for the ironies of ironies, Shell has a distribution terminal in Southern California, which is probably the largest local market for gasoline and diesel in the United States. But they have no refinery in Southern California.

I found a picture of one of these pumps:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=364070

shell.jpg

I don't have that much experience with diesel, but I was under the impression that they deal with far fewer additives than with gasoline. What makes it "branded" would seem to be less specific than the detergent additive packages used in branded gasoline.

A lot of things are said many times. That doesn't make them true:
Differences Between Diesel and Petrol

Diesel is a heavier fraction of crude than gasoline. They are both carbon chains and diesel can be converted into gasoline by cracking it, but they are not the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back