2016 Traverse M1 0W40 5k miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
First UOA and was curious how the M1 0w40 would do considering how these engines are hard on oil. Driving habits are 50/50 and is wife’s DD so wanted to see how it was holding up at 5k. Current fill is Schaeffers 9000 5w30.

Didn’t loose any MPG with the M1 and engine ran fine. Also didn’t have any makeup oil added. This was the 4th OC and the first 3 were all PP 10w30 and had to add 1/2 qt on the same interval.

Yes I know these have not been the reccomended grades but I don’t care. Never ran the specific grade in any vehicle as you can tell from my signature and have never had any issues with the engines. So I’m sure they’ll be comments made about that and wanted to go ahead and save y’all the trouble and explain.

Like I said texting the 9000 so see how it does since I can get it for a good price.

Not sure why the TBN is flagged as Caution. I’ll be extending to 6k then do a UOA on the 9000 then go from there.

51EB708E-C9B1-4F2B-91D5-0D75E9D74654_zps0ukuvfeb.png
>>

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
Why so thick on a brand new engine? Just curious

Viscosity 11.0 ?

That's the same as a 5W-30.

Seems that M1 0W40 is well regarded on here and have seen alot of people using it so I figured I'd try it especially in an engine that shears oil like this one. With only 20k I think everything came out pretty good.

Will be curios to see how the Schaeffers does for the next OC.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4

Viscosity 11.0 ?

Yep, Started out and sheared to that range. Crazy in only 5k miles.

Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Yeah, I was going to mention something about that visco. Is there any fuel dilution?

It wasn't listed on the report. I was hoping it would have it so I'd know. Will have to sue another lab next time I guess.

Looks like a good report all around. Starting viscosity at 12.8 and getting down to 11.0 makes good sense if the mfg spec is a 30 grade.

It is unfortunate they didn't provide you with at least a flash point reading, which would give a hint as to whether there was fuel dilution or not.

Originally Posted By: chevman4life

Viscosity 11.0 ?

Yep, Started out and sheared to that range. Crazy in only 5k miles.

I saw a similar final viscosity of 11.05 after 7800 miles on the Volvo. This particular oil starts out on the thin side of SAE 40 and seems to end up just a hair below it. Given that both of us are using it in vehicles that spec Xw30, is there really anything to worry about?

See https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4283079/Mobil_1_0w40__7708_miles_'01_V#Post4283079

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chevman4life
First UOA and was curious how the M1 0w40 would do considering how these engines are hard on oil. Driving habits are 50/50 and is wife’s DD so wanted to see how it was holding up at 5k. Current fill is Schaeffers 9000 5w30.

Didn’t loose any MPG with the M1 and engine ran fine. Also didn’t have any makeup oil added. This was the 4th OC and the first 3 were all PP 10w30 and had to add 1/2 qt on the same interval.

Yes I know these have not been the reccomended grades but I don’t care. Never ran the specific grade in any vehicle as you can tell from my signature and have never had any issues with the engines. So I’m sure they’ll be comments made about that and wanted to go ahead and save y’all the trouble and explain.

Like I said texting the 9000 so see how it does since I can get it for a good price.

Not sure why the TBN is flagged as Caution. I’ll be extending to 6k then do a UOA on the 9000 then go from there.

So question.

Why don't we just stick a 20W60? I mean grade doesn't matter, and BITOGers all recommend going to a heavier weight, always.

1. An engine doesn't continue to break in for 20,000 miles. You either break them in right before 5,000 or you don't.

2. This UOA is not accurate, at all. The MicroLab's were originally decided for mobile use, think like a US Coast Guard cutter or small vessel. Without going into too many details, the US Navy has many of these, to test many vehicles, like the SDVs that are mounted on subs. When the SDVs go out, they're interested in one thing, is this going to fail on us today and are the SEALs going to make it to their target. They will send another sample to us (takes about 30 days from a sub or carrier) for interpretation and lab work, but in the meantime, they need to know if it's about to fail then and there. Think of it this way. The MicroLab is a portable ICP with some all in one features, depending on how it's configured by Spectro. It is not meant to be very accurate, it's about 80% accurate. PE, Thermo and the rest are meant to be used in a through put lab focused on accuracy, those deliver 97% accuracy. Then there's the research level ICP machines that take 3-4 hours to churn out a sample, those are 99% accurate and cost a buttload of money to get a sample processed. So for all you know, your iron is really 20. How do I know? I have one right next to my computer, that I use for field work. You can test a sample 5 times and you never get the sample result. 11 microns, 5, or 25 does't make a difference to the people who those machines. They want to know 100PPM differences.

3. Due to the way that the MicroLab works, it's actually decent when it comes to catching chromium. Chromium at 20,000 is a very bad indicator. As a professional UOA analyst it tells me one of two things. A. You did not break this engine in properly at the beginning or B. it's straining somewhere along in the EP area. I find most people never break in their engines properly as it usually involves speeds that will get you a nasty ticket or a quick trip to jail.

4. I could say "good report" but I would be lying to you.

Viscosity 11.0 ?

Thanks.

Maybe things have changed, but I thought "thin was in" on BITOG
sick.gif

most on here automatically recommend a thicker oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back