Jacking/ramping a car on a gravel driveway?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our new house has a gravel driveway. The good is that any leaks/spills will be disguised. The not so good is that it'll make working on a vehicle a little trickier. Since I've always had pavement to work on previously, I'm wondering what you all do. I thinking that for using jack stands, a chunk of 2x6 under the stand will suffice, no? As far as using ramps, that seems a bit more tricky. The gravel/stone isn't completely level, and my plastic Rhino ramps may not agree with being twisted while carrying the weight of a vehicle. Thoughts?

Put a good sized piece of plywood down where you need to put your jack / stands to distribute the weight properly. Make sure it's good and seated as level as possible.

Exterior grade 3/4 inch plywood is what I use. Gravel does not dig in your back side either.

I use Rhino ramps on gravel and grass all the time.
27.gif
I've used the old metal ramps before, but they sink into the ground and don't really inspire a lot of confidence when under a car. I don't have any pavement or concrete to work on. When I have to jack the car up, I put a floor jack on a 3/4 inch think piece of plywood so the jack can roll under the car the way it's supposed to. For using stands (always, always, always when lifting the car), I found a set of front brake rotors off of a '99 Subaru Outback make the perfect base to set my jack stands on. I always give the car a little shake before getting under it.

My personal opinion, I would use something a little wider than a 2x6 for the jack stands. You want a very solid base that won't move at all in any direction. I've even thought of making some custom ramps out of 2x10s but they would be extremely heavy for what I have in mind.

Last edited:
If the gravel is dry then I just use my metal ramps directly on it. If its soft at all I'll throw a board under the weight bearing ends of the ramps.
I have a 1x10 8' white oak board that I use for that and also I slide it under the car to let a regular jack roll. Keep some cardboard from a large appliance box to lay down and you can slide under the car pretty comfortably and acts as a clean "floor" to put parts and tools on.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
They are indeed heavy … a little exercise never hurts …

For metal ramps, just weld a piece of angle iron across the front (vertical) leg. More footing area ...

For plastic ramps, I'd try them and shake the car pretty hard before I got under them.

Gravel is what is used as road base. It will hold quite a load if done properly
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 4WD
4WD said:
They are indeed heavy … a little exercise never hurts …

So true! That's about what I've had in mind if I ever need anything more heavy duty than the Rhino ramps. In my case, I'd put a wider board on the bottom to give me a little more footprint when working on softer ground.

I use something similar to what 4WD shows in his pictures. With mine I can use them not only for the front and rear of the car, but I can use them on one side of the car. This helps for things like fuel filters and muffler work.

Dont use rhino ramps on gravel if they skid at allor arent supported well... they may self destruct

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back