Contents of Motorcycle Tire Repair Kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I totaled the Ducati I lost a nice kit I had put together.

It was:

- Nealey sticky ropes and the insert tool ($15)
- Aerostich mini compressor ($50)
- Petzl E+Lite E02 led forehead light - work hands free @ night ($29)
- Leatherman REV multitool ($29) (Object removal + cut excess rope after repair)
- Pencil type analog tire pressure gauge (had on-hand already)

Those components were carefully chosen for compactness and barely fit in storage compartment under Ducati's pillion seat. Pretty similar storage limits on the Guzzi (with panniers off), probably stick with the same components.

I run what is essentially the same thing on my bikes. A small compressor and a rope/plug type patch kit. Just enough to hopefully get you moving again.

Toss some nitrile gloves into the kit as well unless you want to ride with dirty/greasy hands.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
I run what is essentially the same thing on my bikes. A small compressor and a rope/plug type patch kit. Just enough to hopefully get you moving again.

Toss some nitrile gloves into the kit as well unless you want to ride with dirty/greasy hands.

Good call on the gloves, adding that to the list.

"Contents of Motorcycle Tire Repair Kit"

With my spoke, tube type wheels...My AAA platinum card
wink.gif

I carry bike specific tools on each of my Harleys and, after reading your post, I'm hitting my forehead as to why I never considered packing tire repair parts. I do in my cars but not the bikes so now I want to pack a tire repair kit on the bikes.

Ok let me ask a somewhat stupid question...my Ultra Classic has wire spoke rims so the tires have tubes. My softail has a solid rear tire and spoke front, so 1 tube and 1 tubeless tire. No problem plugging the rear softail tire but what type of repair can I carry for a tube tire?? I can't plug a tube on the road side so am I stuck with the only option of a can of fix a flat or slime??

Looking for recommendations based on your experiences.

Last edited:
Cheap tubeless tire plug kit, small compressor (most times) and ALWAYS a can of fix a flat.

Between a tubeless plug kit and a can of fix a flat to inflate and seal (or equivalent) Im sure would be enough to keep me going, though I hope never to have to use it. Compressor, mostly I only take on long trips.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GMBoy
I carry bike specific tools on each of my Harleys and, after reading your post, I'm hitting my forehead as to why I never considered packing tire repair parts. I do in my cars but not the bikes so now I want to pack a tire repair kit on the bikes.

Ok let me ask a somewhat stupid question...my Ultra Classic has wire spoke rims so the tires have tubes. My softail has a solid rear tire and spoke front, so 1 tube and 1 tubeless tire. No problem plugging the rear softail tire but what type of repair can I carry for a tube tire?? I can't plug a tube on the road side so am I stuck with the only option of a can of fix a flat or slime??

Not much you can do with inner tube tires when punctured. Can of Fix-a-flat is a gamble for that.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Originally Posted By: GMBoy

Not much you can do with inner tube tires when punctured. Can of Fix-a-flat is a gamble for that.
X2 I’ve seen pics of what the Slime and Fixaflat will do to the inside of a wheel as well. They might be OK now, but years ago they would rust the inside of a wheel.

No question Fix A Flat (or equivalent) is something you prefer not to use as it will gum up the inside of the rim and need to be cleaned up.
BUT you will be darn glad you have a can if your sitting on the side of the road someplace, stuck with a flat who knows where, then with some luck, the Fix a flat gives you a chance to get going again, possibly out of danger where you are and hopefully home or to a place who can properly fix the tire, at that point the rim can be cleaned up and the tire repaired.

I dont want to say any more as I dont want to be jinxed :eek:) ... but I always carry a can and over the years put a can in my wife car truck and daughters car in case of emergency and stuck in some scary place, rather then them try to jack up the car or call for help the can would inflate the tire and get them going to a safe place.

Last edited:
In my car I carry a pair of dikes (to remove nail, screw, bolt or whatever and also cut ends of plug), a small compressor, plugs, lube for plugs, round tool for spreading the hole and insert tool. A smaller version of all this would fit in a fork bag along w/screwdrivers and a select few sockets.

I haven't had the best of luck with the rope style plugs in motorcycle or ATV type tires.

I bought a stop n go mushroom plugger a few years ago and it's awesome. Just something else to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back