Toyo vs General tire vs Cooper

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking am new tires for my 20 inch wheels. 245/35/20. I am trying to stay away from a performance summer tire because I do not need that. Also. I do not want a directional tire, so I can do proper rotations. I do not think I need to spend top dollar either, Discuss.

Brand new General G-Max AS-05
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp...XL&i1_Qty=4

Toyo Proxies 4 Plus
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0089D0500/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Brand new Cooper Zeon RS3-G1 255/35/20
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp...L&tab=Sizes

All priced with in dollars of each other with rebates from tire rack

I couldn't answer for a single tire in your list. However, each have some(quick view) advantages for themselves compared to one another...

The General G-Max have some decent siping and are the lightest weight at 24 lbs/ea

The Toyo Proxies have even better siping for inclement weather & a the longest wearout(TW 560), however are the heaviest at 31 lbs/ea

The Cooper Zenon have a higher Load Rating at 97W compared to 95W for the others however, they are the slightly larger 255mm compared to the others 245mm.

Other than a quick view of these tires and no reviews on them, If I were to shoot from the hip, I'd go for the Toyo's.

I just put a set of 20" Zeon RS3-G1's on my Taurus SHO. Have about 1000 miles on them so far. Replaced a near bald set of Michelin Primacy's that I had 60k on.

Really liking the Coopers. They are quiet, handle GREAT, have good wet and dry traction. They did firm up the ride a little bit but that's fine as I like a firm ride. Could also be that this application requires the Extra Load version.

With the $100 rebate on a set of 4 and paying $164/ea at Walmart it was a no-brainer. Time will tell how they wear but I think they will do fine.

Originally Posted By: dan_erickson
20 inch wheels

I do not think I need to spend top dollar

Hate to break it to you, but you already did. Those wheels are huge, and aside from looks (which is dubious) they are worse than pointless. Either you have the money to spend on the safety and quality of good tires, or you're in a situation where it makes sense to trade the boat anchors for better-sized wheels and some cash.

If you insist on the 20s for whatever reason, "top dollar" for a tire in this size means the Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06. Average out the extra cost of that tire over the length of time you'll own it, and you'll see it's not even a dent in your car's total operating budget -- a tiny price to pay for a MASSIVELY better tire. It'll still stop you in the rain at tread depths where those other tires would start to get scary.

There are places where you can cut corners on a car. Tires ain't one.

I've had both the Cooper Zeon and the Toyo Versado (not Proxes) on our M35. I got much better wear and ride comfort from the Toyo's. Handling was also at least as good as the Cooper's. But mine were a 45 profile.

2 of the 3 are performance tires. You will get better performance from the generals and Coopers than the Toyo's but the Toyo's appear to be more of a touring tire. I have the Cooper RS3A's (older model) and I really like them. A few reviews seem to imply they wear faster than others but that is the case with higher performance tires. Better grip or longer lasting, you need to decide, however I have been impressed with the Coopers I have.

I should have said that I am looking for a quiet smooth tire and that I don't drive a performance car. That's another reason what I am staying away from summer tires and directional tread tires. It's a Honda Accord not a high performance german car so that is why I don't feel the need to spend $1000 + on a set of tires

Summer tires will generally be smoother and quieter than an all season.

Give the Sumitomo HTR Z III a look. The HTR AS version is a great tire as well.

I should have said that I am looking for a quiet smooth tire and that I don't drive a performance car. That's another reason what I am staying away from summer tires and directional tread tires. It's a Honda Accord not a high performance german car so that is why I don't feel the need to spend $1000 + on a set of tires

You may want to look also at the Cooper CS5 touring. Not sure of the price in the size you need. The Zeons were a great price in the 20" size I needed.

I put a set of the General Gmax AS05's on my car two weeks ago. They favor performance over lengevity; so far they stick quite well. My previous OE tires were Conti Contacts. I'd consider them similar. now, if only the installer had balanced them properly the first time around. I'm getting "tired" of weekly appointments at the tire shop for them to fix their own mistakes and repair/replace wheels that they have damaged. 4 wheels total. It's getting expensive for them - and me.

I am slightly hesitant on the Generals because I had the older version of the G-max on my old Accord and they work really bad causing a ton of road noise. Same thing happened with Falken tires on the same car. Installed Cooper Zeon RS3-A tires and they wore great, on the same car.

On my current 2015 Accord the OEM Michelin tire are wearing great, no complaints. The cheap Nanking tires on my 20's are wearing bad just like the Falkens and Generals on my previous Accord.

I called the Tire Rack and spoke to a rep there. He recommended the General G-Max 05 or the Conti DWS 06. He said that I can't go wrong with either and that the General is a watered down Conti DWS 06. That being said I can get either of those tires on the Discount Tire Direct sight for cheaper because I would not have to pay for shipping and tax.

Neither stores sell Toyo so I do not have any extra info on that tire

Tire Rack sell the Cooper tire but the rep told me that it is a very new tire and no testing has been done. So, no information on that one either.

245/35-20

The Falken Azenis FK450 is also worth considering
smile.gif

I looked up your car, and they list the size 215/55-17. So that means you can use 17-inch wheels/tires because they will clear the brakes. You should be able to get a set of OEM 17's at your local junkyard or on eBay. Tires will cost much less/ In fact, you may even be able to get a set of 17-in rims *and* tires for less than the cost of only the tires in your current 20-in size
smile.gif

Here are the smaller stock tire sizes for the 2015 Accord

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
245/35-20

smile.gif

I looked up your car, and they list the size 215/55-17. So that means you can use 17-inch wheels/tires because they will clear the brakes. You should be able to get a set of OEM 17's at your local junkyard or on eBay. Tires will cost much less/ In fact, you may even be able to get a set of 17-in rims *and* tires for less than the cost of only the tires in your current 20-in size
smile.gif

That's not going to happen.

You've had good experiences with Cooper so I'd get those. Headquartered here in Ohio and I like the tread design. Plus AA for Traction. Second would be the Generals imo, they're a good tire as well.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
245/35-20

smile.gif

smile.gif

That's not going to happen.

Because?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back