Discount Tire snapped off my wheel stud

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in for a rotation/balance and when I got my car back, I was told what happened. They cross threaded the lug nut and of course it was at closing time. They gave me a repair voucher for a Tuffy down the street that was also closed. I have never had this happen before, but will take it easy until I get this repaired.

Last edited:
mad.gif

It happens, not necessarily their fault...sometimes wheel studs just wear out and snap. It'll be fine to drive on, just get it fixed asap.

I snapped one in my daughter’s Camry. I just went to the Toyota dealer the next day and got a new one. I recommend u get it replaced first thing tomorrow

Discount Tire has done that twice to me. Both were found not when it was done, but when I went back for the next service.

The first time they explained that they had a service tech that wasn't following the policy of hand starting nuts, and that he no longer worked there. That was a very reasonable explanation to me. It could happen anywhere.

The second time I didn't get any such explanation. It kind of ticked me off when it happened the second time. As much as I like the service that Discount Tire gives me, I made a mental note - third strike and I'll find a new tire store. I sure hope that doesn't happen.

They did make it right both times. Just like you said, they gave me a voucher to get it fixed at a local shop. The repair was super quick both times, but it was still an inconvenience.

It happened to me a long time ago in the Diesel truck on my sig.

They ordered the stud for me.
But to save time, I bought a stud myself from the part store (getting ready for a long distance trip).
Went to the place where they pointed to do the work with the voucher.
The place installed it.
I went by the DT shop and get a reimbursement of the stud with the store receipt.

Case closed.

I know it was a hassle because I have to do it but it took less than 1 day for 2 hours.

Last edited:
As posted/noted recently for a member who works at WM TLE and had an error using an oil extractor, suction straw broke in dipstick tube, [censored] happens even to the best. Yep, not ideal.

But, they reported it to you immediately and are going to make it right. In a similar circumstance, as a customer about the most one can expect.

Been buying tires at DT since 04, never had a similar experience. If I did I'd hope to be treated similarly.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
It happens, not necessarily their fault...sometimes wheel studs just wear out and snap. It'll be fine to drive on, just get it fixed asap.

Umm... It WAS their fault, if they cross threaded the lug when it happened.

The timing was unfortunate, but at least they owned up to it.
I guess the OPer has to decide if his general service experience at DT makes it worth forgiving them and returning or he should move on and try someplace else. There is a local indy shop I like, pretty close to home but the opposite way that work is and sort of inconvenient as a result. They have screwed up for me a few times, but they always own up when they catch it and do whatever they can to make it right. The worst was when I bought some new summer tires that I was really excited about and drove away thinking I had bought the worst ones since stone was the preferred material. A panicky sounding manager called me later in the day and asked me to check my car immediately...turned out I had three of the tires I had ordered and one of a different brand and SIZE. They would often have 4 guys working on one car for speed and I guess they had a communication breakdown. They took care of me immediately and with a million apologies, but I was worried about damage to my AWD system.
I decided to try a chain store not too far from the indy shop when it was time to get my winter tires swapped on, I made a point of getting there early but there was already a good line ahead of me. I waited about half an hour and no progress was being made because the first customer leaving kept coming back in and saying their car was making a horrible noise, so that car kept going back on the lift. I finally punted and went back to the indy shop and have been using them ever since.

I'm glad the guy owned up to breaking your stud and told you.

I bought new tires June 29th from Walmart and returned last month after 7,000 miles for my first ever lifetime rotate and balance. I've always done rotations myself so this was a new experience for me. What happens? The tech cross threaded one of the rear studs and didn't say a word. The cashier stapled and folded the $0.00 receipt to the invoice and I walked out. Five days later, my wife is straightening up the pile of papers on the desk and says, "Did you see this?" The lower left corner reads "Rear driver side stud damaged." OMG, I can't repeat what I said on this site but I headed straight to store and talked to the manager. I wanted them to remove the tire and show me the damage. The nut wouldn't even come off with an impact gun. I had two options, 1) leave the car and they take it someplace to fix it or 2) I take care of it and they reimburse me. I choose option 2 'cause I didn't want them touching my car again. My previous three sets of tires have been installed at the Subaru dealership so that's where I went to get it fixed. They charged me for 1/2 hour labor and it came to $71. Got my money back and I'll be doing my own rotation again for now on.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger

How do you cross thread a lug nut? The threads get weak and stretch after 13 years of cranking the lugnuts on and off.

Originally Posted By: 6starprez
... I've always done rotations myself ...

I rotate the tires when I change to snows and then back to all seasons. I do about 30K miles a year between the two. If the alignment is proper then this should be enough.
smile.gif

Last edited:

How do you cross thread a lug nut? The threads get weak and stretch after 13 years of cranking the lugnuts on and off.

Try starting a bunch with an air gun and you'll cross thread one eventually.... It's easy to tell too as the gun impacts before the nut hits the rim.
Torqued properly studs don't wear out with normal tire rotations, as lots of guys doing autocross swap tires 40 times a year or more. None of my cars that I've autocrossed for several years ever had a stud issue as I always finished torquing with a torque wrench.

OP said it I didn't, believe they said they cross threaded it and it broke?

At least they owned up to it.

I took in a wheel and tire from a family members brand new Toyota Avalon because it had a nail. They fixed it and carried the wheel out to my Jeep. I noticed the wheel was filthy and full of grease. I started to wipe it off with the guy there and found a scrape in the clear coat, totally unacceptable. After complaining he said they could send it out to get repainted. So what are we supposed to do in the meantime? Drive on the donut? Uh, no. Plus it won’t match. I left and won’t go back to that store.

I’ll happily go back to another store though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back