Blackstone's new postage paid service is slow...

Status
Not open for further replies.
So as many now know Blackstone has started to pay the postage for samples. (they will send you labels for any old bottles you have)

The problem here appears to be USPS. When you check the tracking (or scan it with the app on your phone) after the sample is picked up you will get what seems to be a normal priority mail like estimated delivery date, but after it departs the major cup for your area all you will get is an entry approximately the same time each day saying:

Quote:
The item is currently in transit to the destination as of October 14, 2017 at 9:25 am. It is on its way to FORT WAYNE, IN 46806.

It will take longer than they say at the beginning.

Echo! It took almost two weeks (13 days) for BlkSt to receive my sample recently. I was getting worried. I have friends in Louisiana and they normally get packages within 3 days, First Class delivery from New Mexico (1000 miles) Holidays, being the exception. I commend BlkSt for processing it on the same day and sending me notification.

But, I've noticed that the quality of the USPS is getting worse. Only branch of government that is authorized to profit and backed by the govt, unlike other providers, who are SOL if something happens. I had a large box with OEM parts go missing for three years and then one day it gets delivered. Government at it's finest. Rant over.....

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Off topic, but since Pajero brought it up... the United States Post Office established in the early days of the republic is NOT the USPS... and that is why they can turn a profit. The two entities actually operate simultaneously... They just don't want you to know about the USPO. Don't believe me? Try this out:

A first-class stamp is what, 45 cents? Well, the USPO was originally authorized to mail letters at the rate of 2 cents per half-ounce, and this was never changed IN LAW, meaning the average letter requires 3 cents to mail ANYWHERE. (Why else would they still make 3 cents stamps in the days of forever stamps and electronic postage??) The only caveat is you must write out the full state name and NOT use a zip code, and the letter must be dropped in the slot inside the post office proper. I have personally used this many times, and it works every time!

Originally Posted By: SubieRubyRoo
Off topic, but since Pajero brought it up... the United States Post Office established in the early days of the republic is NOT the USPS... and that is why they can turn a profit. The two entities actually operate simultaneously... They just don't want you to know about the USPO. Don't believe me? Try this out:

A first-class stamp is what, 45 cents? Well, the USPO was originally authorized to mail letters at the rate of 2 cents per half-ounce, and this was never changed IN LAW, meaning the average letter requires 3 cents to mail ANYWHERE. (Why else would they still make 3 cents stamps in the days of forever stamps and electronic postage??) The only caveat is you must write out the full state name and NOT use a zip code, and the letter must be dropped in the slot inside the post office proper. I have personally used this many times, and it works every time!

Yep, I have received this type of mail....IT COMES POSTAGE DUE!

I ran a medical laboratory with a prepaid postage mailer for specimens over 4 decades. I can tell you the post office people HATE to touch or process any mailer like ours OR Blackstones. Our mailers were paid first class mail which can not sit overnight in a facility without being moved on its way in the journey to us....yet a mailer could take three weeks from Dallas to Houston. Often the Houston office would say, "Roger was on vacation for two weeks and his stand in did not want to touch your mail"! This is the post office in the 4th largest city in the US...maybe 800 employees and one missing guy would stop our mail dead for days.

They will fear those Blackstone mailers like they have liquid EBOLA cultures inside!

Originally Posted By: Pajero

But, I've noticed that the quality of the USPS is getting worse. Only branch of government that is authorized to profit and backed by the govt, unlike other providers, who are SOL if something happens. I had a large box with OEM parts go missing for three years and then one day it gets delivered. Government at it's finest. Rant over.....

I have had more issues with UPS than I have ever had with the post office...and I use UPS much less often!

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Echo! It took almost two weeks (13 days) for BlkSt to receive my sample recently. I was getting worried. I have friends in Louisiana and they normally get packages within 3 days, First Class delivery from New Mexico (1000 miles) Holidays, being the exception. I commend BlkSt for processing it on the same day and sending me notification.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

It was a couple years back, but the last sample I sent to Blackstone took 2-3 weeks to get to them as well.
It's only an Hour Drive from here to Blackstone. I likely could have WALKED it there faster... actually yeah, according to google, it's 18hrs of walking time from A->B.

My first (and only) pre-paid postage took about a week longer between dropping it into the mailbox and getting my results than before when I had to pay for postage. Not sure if that’s USPS’s fault or a backlog at Blackstone. The extra week kind of sucks, but I don’t mind saving the $5 and not having to wait in line for postage. If you want faster service, pay for upgraded shipping...

Here's something many of you Blackstone users may not know. If they've gone to a "paid" label, actually it is done via a Postage Due Trust Account that Blackstone has to keep and replenish regularly at the local post office. If the money balance in the account approaches zero, the postage due containers will arrive at the post office but they won't be processed and delivered until more funds are deposited in the account. No tickee, no washee.

Thanks for the heads up. Maybe the USPS knows about the oil sample bottles so they put it on a slow boat or slow train to Fort Wayne, IN. I may put the sample in a small flat rate priority mail shipping box and pay for 3-5 day service.

I guess I'm lucky. It took me about 9 days to get my report from when I dropped it in the mailbox.

On Monday August 28th I mailed Blackstone's prepaid container back, I dropped it off at the Post Office counter. I got confirmation that it was received at Blackstone's mail room on Friday Sept 1st at around 9:15 am. This was Labor Day weekend. I received the e-mail results Thursday the 7th. I can't complain about the USPS or Blackstone in my case. Especially since Labor Day fell in there. I'm in the boonies of NW NJ so the mail has to pass through numerous Postal facilities.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: anndel
Thanks for the heads up. Maybe the USPS knows about the oil sample bottles so they put it on a slow boat or slow train to Fort Wayne, IN. I may put the sample in a small flat rate priority mail shipping box and pay for 3-5 day service.

I put the Blackstone sample in the USPS padded flat rate shipping envelope. The double bottle Blackstone sample (both bottles required) does not fit in the small flat rate box but the padded late rate envelope works and is almost as cheap as the little box.

Originally Posted By: ammolab
Originally Posted By: anndel

I put the Blackstone sample in the USPS padded flat rate shipping envelope. The double bottle Blackstone sample (both bottles required) does not fit in the small flat rate box but the padded late rate envelope works and is almost as cheap as the little box.

That works fine, and you can get more than one bottle in a flat rate envelope.

We are talking about the bottles with the merchandise return system label already on them.

Mine has not been updated since SAT.
smirk.gif
and the last one took over a week...

Some of the things I read here, I have to question.

While I never dealt much with the shipping department at Tribologik, I do lots of shipping at my new job, since we now outsource UOAs to Testoil. NEVER had a problem with USPS, First Class is 3 days tops. No delays, nothing. I LOVE USPS. I've been using postal for years now.

Originally Posted By: danielLD
Some of the things I read here, I have to question.

While I never dealt much with the shipping department at Tribologik, I do lots of shipping at my new job, since we now outsource UOAs to Testoil. NEVER had a problem with USPS, First Class is 3 days tops. No delays, nothing. I LOVE USPS. I’ve been using postal for years now.

Tracking Number: 4204680645319216290191543300*redacted*

In-Transit
Product & Tracking Information

See Available Actions
Postal Product:
First-Class Package Service
Features:
Merchandise Return Service
USPS Tracking®

DATE & TIME STATUS OF ITEM LOCATION
October 14, 2017, 9:25 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
The item is currently in transit to the destination as of October 14, 2017 at 9:25 am. It is on its way to FORT WAYNE, IN 46806.
October 13, 2017, 9:25 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
October 12, 2017, 9:25 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
October 11, 2017, 9:25 pm Departed USPS Regional Origin Facility ATLANTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
October 11, 2017, 9:25 pm Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility ATLANTA GA DISTRIBUTION CENTER
October 11, 2017, 5:16 pm Departed Post Office *redacted*
October 11, 2017, 4:44 pm USPS picked up item *redacted*

And from the previously linked results

Tracking Number: 9216290191543300*redacted*
Delivered

Expected Delivery on: Tuesday, October 17, 2017 by 8:00pm
See Available Actions
Postal Product:
Features:
USPS Tracking®

Date & Time Status of Item Location
October 17, 2017, 9:01 am Delivered, Left with Individual FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
Your item was delivered to an individual at the address at 9:01 am on October 17, 2017 in FORT WAYNE, IN 46806.
October 17, 2017, 8:07 am Arrived at Post Office FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
October 17, 2017, 3:42 am Departed USPS Regional Destination Facility FORT WAYNE IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
October 15, 2017, 2:57 am Arrived at USPS Regional Facility FORT WAYNE IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
October 14, 2017, 10:50 am Departed USPS Regional Facility DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
October 14, 2017, 9:09 am Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
October 2, 2017, 9:04 am In Transit to Destination On its way to FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
October 1, 2017, 9:04 am In Transit to Destination On its way to FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
September 30, 2017, 9:04 am In Transit to Destination On its way to FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
September 29, 2017, 5:04 pm Departed Post Office *redacted*
September 29, 2017, 1:53 pm USPS in possession of item *redacted*

and from a prior shipment:

Tracking Number: 9216290191543300*redacted*

Delivered
Expected Delivery on: Friday, August 25, 2017 by 8:00pm

See Available Actions
Postal Product:
Features:
USPS Tracking®

DATE & TIME STATUS OF ITEM LOCATION
August 25, 2017, 9:27 am Delivered, Left with Individual FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
Your item was delivered to an individual at the address at 9:27 am on August 25, 2017 in FORT WAYNE, IN 46806.
August 25, 2017, 8:02 am Arrived at Post Office FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
August 25, 2017, 4:19 am Departed USPS Regional Facility FORT WAYNE IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 25, 2017, 3:16 am Arrived at USPS Regional Destination Facility FORT WAYNE IN DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 17, 2017, 9:21 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
August 16, 2017, 9:21 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
August 15, 2017, 9:21 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
August 14, 2017, 4:21 am Arrived at USPS Regional Origin Facility MEMPHIS TN NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER
August 13, 2017, 9:13 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
August 12, 2017, 9:13 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
August 11, 2017, 9:13 am In Transit to Destination ON ITS WAY TO FORT WAYNE, IN 46806
August 10, 2017, 5:13 pm Departed Post Office *redacted*
August 10, 2017, 1:11 pm USPS picked up item *redacted*

I’m lucky if a priority mail envelope makes it in 3 days honestly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back