New Volkswagen warranty

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw a commercial for Volkswagen last night.
6 years/72K miles bumper to bumper.
That's impressive.

Is this a desperate attempt to sell cars after the recent emissions scandal?
Seems like it to me.
If only their vehicles were not so plain jane boring.
I could be tempted.

I drove a Passat last year. One of the best vehicles I've ever drove. It didn't look great, but the handling was exemplary. Enough that I am very interested in purchasing one, but I want a turbo diesel. The forward collision saved me from a crash. Someone told me that he gets 49MPG in the TDI on highway. However; VW haven't mitigated the pollution issues.

I suggest renting one for a few days. That's what my brother does.

Respectfully,

Pajero!

That is impressive. Seems they think they need to regain trust. Id buy a very again, but a diesel. How's that for wanting their product?!?

I think it's part the scandal and also partly that with the Koreans undercutting everyone on price and offering long warranties of 100,000. It has been stealing their "value" market share.

Looked at Passats several times and I thought they were the "bomb.com". I was amazed at how much you got for the asking price and it was a great driving car. Was very close to pulling the trigger but in the end cheaped out and bought the Lincoln used for less than half the price.

Still want the Passat although I am hardly suffering in the Lincoln.

My dealer seemed to be having no trouble moving cars. Not everyone cares about the "scandal". Lots of VW faithful will stay so, and I for one kinda admire that they gave the EPA the bird. I doubt I am the only one. The industry is way over regulated.

Most Americans don't care about emissions scandal, they have a short memory.

I do agree with other poster about other manufacturers having a 100K warranty.

We loved our TDI Passat 6MT. It handled well for a big car, but that's about all the handling praise I can throw its way. The stability nanny was a bit intrusive at times (let me have a little fun, doggone it!).

VW came calling and wrote us a fat check for a 4 year old car with 60k miles, so there was really only one option.

Thought about picking up a new Jetta TSI last month, but didn't pull the trigger. There are some smoking deals out there on them.

I'm looking for a manual transmission station wagon. I don't have many options.

I was looking closely at the Jetta ... Golf ... wagon. I had tried to put past VW reputation aside. Unfortunately, it seems that they use the exact same gearing in the 5 speed as my Focus has. Too bad as I really like it!

They are on my list, and I was seriously considering buying a 2016 CPO Passat earlier this year. I am sure if I drove it I would be a lot closer if it hadn't been for the deductibles. It looks like their new warranty does not have any deductibles.

I was looking at a new Passat with the 1.8T (not a diesel guy) until I saw that motor has issues with main seal leaking. VW makes some nice cars but reliability seems low and part prices seem high.

IMHO, 'tis much better to focus on the product rather than the length of the warranty. Or, to put it in more practical terms vis-à-vis V-Dub's new warranty, is there any real advantage in knowing you now have the potential for sitting around in a customer waiting room drinking bad coffee for six years rather than five (the length of the prior warranty for the mechanical bits)?

Now, lest you think I'm being critical of Volkswagen, I'm not. If you want to go reasonable quick in a well-manufactured automobile (IMHO, of course) in near invisibility -- which some of us consider a real plus -- it's hard to beat a V-Dub GTI Sport for, say, $25k all in.

I leased a '17 Jetta 1.4t and it's been flawless so far. The reality is, it only has to be flawless for 3 years in my case, and chances are, it will be. My dealer is also a VW-Audi-Jaguar-Range Rover-Porsche store, so I get treated much better than I would expect to at a "normal" standalone VW store.

I think the 1.4t is tuned to behave a lot like a tdi without the diesel headaches, I get 42-44MPG on all highway runs at 78 MPH with the a/c blasting, low to mid 30s in the city. It has lots of low RPM torque and runs out of breath at higher RPMs just like a diesel. Anyone who has driven an 80s era BMW with the "eta" version of the M20 inline six will understand...that engine was tuned to mimic the BMW M21 turbodiesel that they used in the 524td and some Lincolns...lots of torque, low redline, not real eager to rev.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep

My dealer seemed to be having no trouble moving cars. Not everyone cares about the "scandal". Lots of VW faithful will stay so, and I for one kinda admire that they gave the EPA the bird. I doubt I am the only one. The industry is way over regulated.

+1

There are Jettas/Passats everywhere in my area, and I can see why. My sister just purchased a cream puff 2013 Jetta 2.5L. It has the fake leather, heated seats, sunroof, good driving dynamics, etc. We looked at similar year Civics (she was replacing an 05 Civic) but they just didn't compare. All of the Civics were much higher in price but felt cheap inside. Cheap plastic dash, interior rattles, no heated seats or sunroof, cloth seats, etc. The Civics all seemed in rough shape too. A lot of them had uneven tire wear, worn brakes, paint issues and loose steering. The dealers didn't seem to care about the condition of the cars because they knew they would sell "because it's a Honda".

Since VW lowered the pricing on the Jetta's there have been a ton near me too.

They are like German Cavaliers!
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: jeepman3071
Originally Posted By: KCJeep

+1

There are Jettas/Passats everywhere in my area, and I can see why. My sister just purchased a cream puff 2013 Jetta 2.5L. It has the fake leather, heated seats, sunroof, good driving dynamics, etc. We looked at similar year Civics (she was replacing an 05 Civic) but they just didn't compare. All of the Civics were much higher in price but felt cheap inside. Cheap plastic dash, interior rattles, no heated seats or sunroof, cloth seats, etc. The Civics all seemed in rough shape too. A lot of them had uneven tire wear, worn brakes, paint issues and loose steering. The dealers didn't seem to care about the condition of the cars because they knew they would sell "because it's a Honda".

All Civics are boring econoboxes, even the 'Vtec' econoboxes.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Since VW lowered the pricing on the Jetta's there have been a ton near me too.

They are like German Cavaliers!
lol.gif

I think they are popular simply because they are fun to drive and a bargain for what you get.

Leather heated seats and a relatively quiet ride in an economy car makes them attractive. I was impressed when I drove it, the door shuts with a nice solid thunk.

My mom has a 2011 Honda Fit, and even with nice tires it still has a ton of road noise inside. Driving down the street it sounds like it has knobby mud terrains on it.

I will say that Honda manual transmissions shift much nicer though.

If my knees, hips and ankles weren't so arthritic I'd love to drive a manual transmission car...alas, I think those days are over for me.

I have become a fan of newer VWs while at the same time the last 2 Honda products we leased left everybody in the household cold...when my wife's extended family has a party it looks like a Honda/Acura dealer convention and we're the outliers now with the VW. If I could swing a deal on a Sportwagen or AllTrack the '16 CRV would be gone by now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back