Anyone else with a 2nd gen Sienna? Shift quality?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: TheKracken
Oh another thing that will help is to disconnect the battery for a while. Since the Sienna transmission issues are mostly ECU related, resetting it with new fluid will usually help it relearn.

This is very true, BUT - it has potential drawbacks. Some without experience have done it and fried the PCU, or blown the 100a main bus (which is $5 but a serious hassle to replace). Plus you loose all car presets, which are many. There is a better way.

I have found just changing driving habits will re-set it in short order (heavy braking habit. She drove it daily. I could take the car for the weekend and drive smoothly, and the PCU would re-learn and smooth out the harsh shifts within 100 miles (distance to my parents and back). Then it would re-learn the bad habits by Wednesday after she put about 100/150 miles on it for work and errands.

We went through this totally obvious cycle for two years. She gradually got a lot smoother and the swings disappeared. She grew up in Russia/Moldova and did not really start driving until 2003/4 after immigrating. So until recently, she was the equivalent of a lead-footed 18 year old.

I've had the unique experience of seeing how this car works as a daily driver/shared driver, and researching it on dedicated forums. It's really a great powertrain, really actually fantastic, but has it's quirks.

This is a excellent point and i'm starting to think learning logic may be 95% of the issue. My wife drives the van 99% of the time until recently. She started a job at the same place I work a few weeks ago. We swap cars now at the end of the day so I can pickup the kiddo's on the way home. That means the van is seeing two different driving styles per day, each for ~15 miles. Before this I drove it so infrequently I never really payed attention to it's shift characteristics.

I drove the van Friday-Sunday this week, running around town and on the highway etc. It shifted great the whole time, especially Sunday after I had driven it 100+ miles over the weekend.

Now that it's Monday and she drove it to work, it'll be interesting to see how it drives for me on the way home. She has a much more aggressive driving style than I do. Hard on the gas and brakes. I'm much more easy going when I drive. I can see how it would be confused.

Good experiment anyways... I'm going to leave the Maxlife in until the next oil change in a thousand miles to see how it does. I can say that when it's shifting well like this weekend, it does shift much better than it ever did on T-IV.

I'll follow up later this week.

Just wanted to post a update. I did 3 evacuate (using my oil vacuum tool) and fills with Toyota T-IV. Transmission is definitely more sluggish compared to the Maxlife ATF, but has been shifting great. No more long delays so I'm happy and feel better that the correct fluid is in there.

I'm thinking the fluid was just dirty to begin with and that clean OEM fluid did the trick.

I have also noticed that if I drive it a bit more aggressively (come up to speed faster, shifts ~3K RPM) the trans shifts better overall. Has to be something to do with the logic...

My parents had some funny shifting in their Sienna, when they took it in for the unintended acceleration recall the PCM was flashed and there was one firmware/calibration that included some shift tweaks but according to the dealer required the van to run on premium. I noticed a small change.

Right now, the van has 90% ML low-viscosity ATF. The shifts feel a little weird - I plan on swapping that out for OEM T-IV at the next oil change. The filter has been changed once and I plan on installing a Magnefine in it.

I'd say I experienced the same thing. Switched to Maxlife to try and solve the laggy shifting. While it worked initially, I got some other weird shift quality issues. It almost felt like fluttering at lower RPM's. Also a slight whine between 30-35MPH and the smell of trans fluid through the air vents a few times. Maxlife is stinky stuff...

Swapped back to OEM fluid and it shifts great now. Think it was a combo of half dirty fluid and the PCM trying to learn multiple driving styles.

Good luck in your fluid swap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back