Are thinner oils damaging MB Bluetec engines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: veryHeavy
Originally Posted By: Tomcat728
Is it possible that extended OCI combined with the move from 229.5 to 229.51 for the DPF equipped Bluetec can be contributing to these failures?

It's more-likely that Mercedes lacks V6 experience.
These cars used to be equipped with Inline-6s which were perfectly balanced (and won "best engine" awards). Now suddenly they have V6s that shake & vibrate. The engineers failed to account for things they are not used to, and that led to engine faults.

BTW they used to recommend 5W-40 on their I-6s. It might be worthwhile to return to the old standard, to gain extra protection.

Loads of S Class with the 3.0 v6 diesel that have done huge miles. I have not heard of any camchain failures in the 3.0 v6 diesel, the 2.2 diesel is a different matter

We have had DPF equipped vehicles on the market since early 06.

Biggest problem is diesel contamination leading to excessive engine wear.

At my old job we had 2.7 diesel Sprinters (earliest 2003, last 2006) were all retrofitted with DOF systems due to Transport for London mandating it for emissions.

These are on a 6 week or 3000 mile service interval.

The 2.2 diesel was fitted on vehicles bought in 09/10/11. They were less reliable but are extremely underpowered and the engine revs hard all the time.

The newest Sprinters are the 3.0v6 diesel and they have been reliable, again 6week or 3000 miles service intervals

These are Emergexy Service Ambulances so driven 24/7 most of the time, lots of idling and hard driving.

Extended oil change intervals and a DPF are just bad news imho

I intend to change the oil and filter every 5/6k miles then take it in for scheduled maintenance as per Assyst Plus.

Shell list Shell Helix ECT C2/C3 0w30 as the premium choice sump is 8 litres

Though alternative recommendations are as follows (not all of them)

Helix Uktra ECT 5w30 C3

Helix Ultra Professiona AM.L 5w30

But interestingly Shell Rimula Ultra 5w30

Rimula R6 LME 5w30

And Rimula R6 LM 10w40

Are also listed.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Alfa never had problems with their engines, you as a European should know that. Alfa/Fiat engines are well known for their longevity, diesels having almost cult status.

My friends e46 330d dumped fuel info a crankcase via high pressure pump and caused engine to overrun at 200K. He had kid and a wife in a car, and thankfully he is mechanically inclined so he stopped the engine before it run over. What would happen if the missus was driving?
BMW is getting to stupid for its own good.

I am going to have to pull you up on the statement that Fiat Diesels having cult status for their longevity

It turns out that in early 2006 the Fiat 1.9 CDTi Lump was fitted to the 300 or so Vauxhall Zafira autos bought by the London Ambulance Service

The quickest engine failure was under 2000 miles if I remember correctly. Oil was like black baseline.

Constant Limp Modes, EGR problems, inlet manifold problems, engines losing power and when stripped the cam was on the verge of seizing in the head.

They aren't a bad engine, fairly smooth and the 150bhp version can be remapped for nearly 200bhp

But cult status?

Reliable?

Well not going by the number of broken ones in the UK

And not going by the number of breakdowns and engine failures in the LAS vehicles. Reliability as far as fuel contamination goes was improved when adopting the usual 6week 3000 miles service interval, they initially were advised that telnet could run them on the same interval as civilian vehicles......

Maybe the UK gets badly built Alfas

Because they are regarded as high maintenance vehicles in the Uk with a poor reliability record. They do have character though.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Acording to BMW problems with chain stretch/snap in their 2.0D engines here in EU...

More then anything (viscosity or additives used)....it is important that you do not follow OEM recommended long drain OCIs...

If you do....engine get sludged so bad that affect oil delivery on the chain...chain then fail prematurely due to wear and insufficient (oil) cooling...

I know that this varies from poorly designed tensioner...I just wanted to lighten up that aspekt...especially when Gokhan has mentioned "boundary valvetrain lubrication&

I have adopted an interim oil and filter change policy on any vehicle used for work or in lots of traffic for years now

Never had many vehicle related issues, some people think I am wasting money. But I think it has saved me money.

I know loads of people that have know of people whose 2.0d BMW has had chain failure, it is not uncommon on Merc 2.2 aswell.

Originally Posted By: alex_at
Originally Posted By: edyvw
What are you talking about? What was wrong with the 164? 164 v6 was quite of a car then. And 156? What problems? Front suspension, upper wishbones? Sure. How about that front suspension on a B5? That was something. Or a 3.0 tdi. Great engines, brilliant cars. Or 2.0 tfsi or tdi oil consumption. Or diff assembly on my 09 caddy that failed at 90K? And now whining at 250K again. Brilliant.

Sell numbers do not always mirror products quality. VW is making [censored] for ages and sell great, SAAB made great cars before GM and it went down.

LOL, yeah, Alfa Romeo was all this time misunderstood.

I give you my quote on this:

Of all the cars that I've owned over the years the best cars and most troublefree engines were italians.

I had a 1989 Lancia Dedra 2.0ie, a 2004 Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD 3door, a 2005 Fiat Stilo 1.9 JTD 5door and I now have a Lancia Thesis 2.4 JTD. These were the most reliable cars in terms of engine reliability I ever owned. I also had a 2001 Mercedes Benz W210 E270 CDI which had a great engine - the only CDI engine in the lineup that wasn't a Mercedes Benz engine, it was made by VM Motori in Italy.

In 2008 I bought a 2006 Volkswagen Phaeton with the 3.0 TDI engine. Till now, I have well over 20.000€ in repairs invested. I had to replace all the injectors, they were completely worn out, I had to replace both upper cam chains and tensioners, I had to replace the common rail fuel pump, I had to replace the complete intake manifold, the EGR valve twice, the throttle valve body and other bits and pieces.

I would by an italian Diesel engine again without any hesitation. A Volkswagen/Audi? I'm not so sure.

[censored], my aunt had a 2001 Fiat Multipla 1.9 JTD that has been involved in multiple car accidents, was completely neglected in terms of maintenance. She sold it perfectly running with somwhere around 450.000 km on the clock. After the car passed 300.000km the maintenance was even more neglected due to the decision that the car would be replaced as soon as it broke down. I drove it 2 years ago with 400.000 on the clock - the engine and gearbox were as strong as ever. Just the paint and the interior had worn due to the age and neglection. The engine has never been opened, the only thing replaced other than tires, brakes, oil and coolant (which is regular or better unregular in this case maintenance anyway). At 380.000km a new clutch was installed, other than that the engine, gearbox and drivetrain were factory original.
I found that very very impressive.

I have never heard or read that the Mercedes 2.7 5 cylinder was a VM Engine.

Where is this information available?

I have driven hundreds of thousands of miles in 2.7 equipped Sprinters and would perform daily VDi checks on them prior to use.

I can't remember seeming any VM branding though.

All VM engines that I have had dealings with have been four cylinder and had cambelts rather than the chain on the 2.7 Merc engine.

The VM engines where fitted to many Chrysler and Jeep vehicles though.

At one point the Grand Cherokee had a VM Engine then it was fitted with a 2.7 Mercedes sourced engine but they were not the same engine

Last edited:
My 17 year old 2.0d still goes strong. After the e39/e46 era it all went downhill, reliability wise, for all manufacturers.

Originally Posted By: radu
My 17 year old 2.0d still goes strong. After the e39/e46 era it all went downhill, reliability wise, for all manufacturers.

136hp 2.0d? That thing can blow turbo any time.
That first 2.0d was not particularly stout like rest of the car (E39).

Not really. These engines have a breather filter for the crankcase ventilation. Most people don't know about them and don't replace them. When they get clogged then yes, they can blow the turbo. I replace mine every oil change. Don't believe every horror story, except N47 timing chain
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: bigjl
Alfa never had problems with their engines, you as a European should know that. Alfa/Fiat engines are well known for their longevity, diesels having almost cult status.

My friends e46 330d dumped fuel info a crankcase via high pressure pump and caused engine to overrun at 200K. He had kid and a wife in a car, and thankfully he is mechanically inclined so he stopped the engine before it run over. What would happen if the missus was driving?

I am going to have to pull you up on the statement that Fiat Diesels having cult status for their longevity

It turns out that in early 2006 the Fiat 1.9 CDTi Lump was fitted to the 300 or so Vauxhall Zafira autos bought by the London Ambulance Service

The quickest engine failure was under 2000 miles if I remember correctly. Oil was like black baseline.

Constant Limp Modes, EGR problems, inlet manifold problems, engines losing power and when stripped the cam was on the verge of seizing in the head.

They aren't a bad engine, fairly smooth and the 150bhp version can be remapped for nearly 200bhp

But cult status?

Reliable?

And not going by the number of breakdowns and engine failures in the LAS vehicles. Reliability as far as fuel contamination goes was improved when adopting the usual 6week 3000 miles service interval, they initially were advised that telnet could run them on the same interval as civilian vehicles......

Because they are regarded as high maintenance vehicles in the Uk with a poor reliability record. They do have character though.

Bit late but..
IDK, I had always good service from them. In 06 I bought the Stilo SW with 1.9 8v Mjet , it was remapped shortly after and had zero problems with the engine- I passed the car to my dad a year ago. Now at 175k still on original EGR, and only had to do the clutch (bad hydraulic thrust bearing) and rear bushes- known fault. Similar cars are used as a Taxi with interstellar mileage over here. Simple, basic, no fuss transportation.

The Vectra. It's a 07 model, bought year ago, locally, FSH. It's a 16v version that isn't as reliable as a 8v and it did inherit all the know problems as in FIAT cars with this engine (EGR, intake manifold swirls, exhaust manifold gasket failing) and added some GM specialties like steel coolant manifold that rusts instead of aluminium like on Italian vehicles. Mapping is different too, and not in the good way either.
This car, now at 190k, already had a new EGR and intake manifold. Still needs exhaust manifold gasket changed. No CEL, no other problems. They suffer from the mid 2000s diesel syndrome , now easily fixable with EGR partially blocking plates that reduce recirc and consequently swirl sticking.

Not really. These engines have a breather filter for the crankcase ventilation. Most people don't know about them and don't replace them. When they get clogged then yes, they can blow the turbo. I replace mine every oil change. Don't believe every horror story, except N47 timing chain
smile.gif

Do not believe horror stories? I saw at least 20 of them blown up. I am from Europe, and that engine when I lived there was a wet dream of average wanna be BMW driver.
150hp version is different story. When you built engine driver does not want to change breather filter for crankcase ventilation. 2.0d 136 was not bad engine, but was not on par with overall quality of E39.

But cult status?

Reliable?

Bit late but..
IDK, I had always good service from them. In 06 I bought the Stilo SW with 1.9 8v Mjet , it was remapped shortly after and had zero problems with the engine- I passed the car to my dad a year ago. Now at 175k still on original EGR, and only had to do the clutch (bad hydraulic thrust bearing) and rear bushes- known fault. Similar cars are used as a Taxi with interstellar mileage over here. Simple, basic, no fuss transportation.

The Vectra. It's a 07 model, bought year ago, locally, FSH. It's a 16v version that isn't as reliable as a 8v and it did inherit all the know problems as in FIAT cars with this engine (EGR, intake manifold swirls, exhaust manifold gasket failing) and added some GM specialties like steel coolant manifold that rusts instead of aluminium like on Italian vehicles. Mapping is different too, and not in the good way either.
This car, now at 190k, already had a new EGR and intake manifold. Still needs exhaust manifold gasket changed. No CEL, no other problems. They suffer from the mid 2000s diesel syndrome , now easily fixable with EGR partially blocking plates that reduce recirc and consequently swirl sticking.

Whenever I go home I see Lancia Lybra 2.4JTD I sold to this kid some 10 years ago. I think that car has like 500-600k now.

Just because he still owns it doesn't mean it has been trouble free.

There are still 2006/7 LAS Zafiras ( all were 120bhp 8v engines) they all have close to 200k miles, some more, some less.

They have all had 3k mile or 6 week servicing.

And been on the run 24/7 pretty much since new, unless in for servicing, repairs or the call sign it works under is unmanned.

None of these vehicles is original. Like the old Only Fools and Horses sketch they are a bit like Triggers Broom, 5 new handles and 6 new heads.

The engine is fairly robust once you iron out the problems, but things like the EGR and swirl flap problems will return.

The 1.8 petrol Astras they had previously (2001-2004) rarely had any engine issues.

The Met Police also have diesel Zafiras, they have also proved less than reliable.

The Yorkshire Ambulance Service had 150cdti Zafiras, they got rid after three years. Amd replaced them with Skoda Octavia Scouts, they still have Scouts and they were kept in servicd a lot longer than the trouble Zafira Diesels.

I think an opinion based on 4/500 well maintained emergency service vehicles might have more significance than one or two people that have had good experiences.

smile.gif

Well, the timing chain does cost thousands to repair.

In the London Private Hire trade many people have lost thousands to an unreliable 2.0 BMW diesel engine.

Not including the turbo problems.

I had a 116D for a short while, full BMW History. Within a few weeks the aircon packed up, the fuel economy was rubbish (struggled to better 45/50mpg.

A mates daughter had a 116i and the engine grenaded coming off the M25. BMW replaced the engine on this 50k mile car for free.

That car also had the issue with the valve body in the ABS system where the pedal would go hard and you would have ZERO brakes.

All cars have problems, some more than others.

But cult status?

Reliable?

Bit late but..

I suspect you also maintain them to a high standard?

I had a 2.0tdci 130bhp Mk3 Mondeo. I spent nothing but servicing and one set of brakes in 3 yrs and well over 100k.

Sold it to a friend.who stuck another 60/70k on it, he had to change the alternator.

Mileage when he sold it was in the 250/260k range, original clutch, exhaust, driveshafts, accessory belt, fuel injection system.

But there are many that have had issues.

Same goes for Jaguar XJL with the 3.0D engine. Mine was a troublesome one.

Two colleages got to 160k and 200k with zero issues.

I know of one with nearly 260k.

Doesn't mean they are all reliable just because some are.

The LAS Zafiras with the 120bhp lump i spoke about earlier have had probably less than 100 cold starts in 10 years. Great maintenance but still break down regularly.

It got so bad at one point that you would only take one off the road if the engine management light stayed on after switching the ignition on and off.

If it reset it was looked at when next serviced pr if the light remained on at a later stage.

When running its a nice engine, no doubt about that.

I'm very familiar with FIAT diesel technology, less so with the FIAT technology implemented by Opel (I deliberately say Opel because Vauxhall is nothing else than a brand).

First, there was never a 8v, 120ps FIAT diesel with swirl flaps. Not in Opels Vauxhalls) or FCA cars. EGR certainly was not a major pain in FIATs with these engines, however there could be with Opels. They do have different electronics.

150, 16v are more problematic, all versions, all makes. On Opels swirl flaps are made of plastic, the manifold itself is aluminium. With those failed you will get CEL, limp mode, rough running, etc. There is a delete kit available but car do loose some low end torque. Better solution is a EGR plate ( partially blocking passage) and it won't turn CEL on. That way intake isn't overrun with soot and swirls work happily ever after.
Alfas and Fiats in their wisdom had plastic manifold with metallic flaps. They would break off and be ingested by the engine. Complete failure. Delete kit available.

The 2.4 jtd, 200HP. Same as above plus turbo problems. Best avoided if not already done.
2.4, 210 HP , all problems solved, great engine, higher fuel consumption than with Germans.
2.0 16v , no problems other than DPF , and that is a diesel in general.

Currently I menage fleet of VW Caddy, Peugeot Partner, Fiat Dobro and Ford Transit Courier. 2.0 SDI, 1.6,8v HDI (90), 1.6 (105), 1.6 (90). Ford handles the best, VW build quality is the best, and drivers position. Pug (and Ford obviously) is best on fuel. Fiat is the biggest, most powerful and with zero problems. Caddy had gearbox rebuilt twice, PUG and Ford DPF problems (plus other on the PUG). Just my experience.

Last edited:
The ones I am talking about were early 120bhp versions. 55 plate mainly so 2006 models, all in Design spec.

It was the fitter that replaced the inlet manifolds who said the swirl flaps were the issue.

I was once told that some 120bhp 1.9 Cdtis were 16v and later ones 8v, but I never used the later ones very often, I was always allocated a 2006 Model. I remember that the 2006 models were more linear than the later ones which were very peaky in their power delivery. I don’t know differences there are between the 16v and 8v but when looking at the engine I remember the oil fill was on the right looking at the vehicle from the front.

Is that relevant? Are there any other obvious differences between 16v and 8v?

When the cams partially seized in my regular vehicle the top end was replaced by a Saab Dealer, Vauxhall couldn’t fix it and the Zafiras were sonunreliable at this point that the service fitters started to outsource any more involved problem. It was nearly 9 years ago now, but I am fairly certain there were two camshafts left in the vehicle along with the head.

Vauxhall is slightly more than a Brand to be fair.

Last edited:
I can assure you 120HP was a 8 valve engine. The oil fill cap is located on the left. Right on the 16v. Later 2.0 version was developed separately (after FIAT-GM merge ended). GM still based their version on the same engine family but further development was done in their center in Italy.
I'm not familiar with these other then I once drove a 2.0 16v 130 Insignia and it was slow as it gets.

To be honest none of these engines are fitted for city driving, especially not for a large metro area as London is. On highway service they are quite good.

Right now I'm having troubles with our Partner. Bloody DPF first at 150, got it cleaned, again at 190. Out of warranty, Peugeot wants 600 euros. Now regenerate all the time, the other day I had to change oil as there was massive oil/fuel amount in, 7-8 litres in a 4 litre engine.

Oh ,almost forgot. Even with that much fuel in oil, and oil was 17k km in service, so still well before OCI, oil THICKENED. Was surprised.

Last edited:
I can assure you 120HP was a 8 valve engine. The oil fill cap is located on the left. Right on the 16v. Later 2.0 version was developed separately (after FIAT-GM merge ended). GM still based their version on the same engine family but further development was done in their center in Italy.
I'm not familiar with these other then I once drove a 2.0 16v 130 Insignia and it was slow as it gets.

To be honest none of these engines are fitted for city driving, especially not for a large metro area as London is. On highway service they are quite good.

Right now I'm having troubles with our Partner. Bloody DPF first at 150, got it cleaned, again at 190. Out of warranty, Peugeot wants 600 euros. Now regenerate all the time, the other day I had to change oil as there was massive oil/fuel amount in, 7-8 litres in a 4 litre engine.

Oh ,almost forgot. Even with that much fuel in oil, and oil was 17k km in service, so still well before OCI, oil THICKENED. Was surprised.

More than likely i have mixed things up in regards the 120 being 16v in the early models.

I wonder why Saab left two cams in the vehicle?

I would have hoped the fitter would have known that the engines never had swirl flaps though!

I suppose they had a lot to live up to as the older 1.8 petrol Astra RRVs were quick, handled well and were nearly unbreakable.

Here is a picture i found online of the two FRUs together.

This vehicle was from my Station. Car pulled out in front of him on Blues and pinballed him into a bollard.

Got a bit side tracked!

Fuel contamination of the oil wrecked most of the Zafira engines that failed, in some cases the piston smashed the block.

The oil ended up looking like black vaseline. I have never seen anything like it.

There were some rumour that the fitters had used Castrol GTX 15w40 Mineral oil that was meant for the LDVs with the 3.5 Rover V8 (or Buick) and others that Vauxhall promised the LAS that they could do the same extended oil drains as member of the public, i think it was 18k miles at the time.

Last edited:
Maybe they were 150 version if you are remembering swirl flaps and double cam layout. GTX3 15w40 mineral oil isn't really suitable for those, especially not with 18k miles OCIs. Especially if cars were equipped with DPF. Frequent regeneration stopping while not finished (like in city driving), will dump fuel into oil. Also, on these vehicles filter itself is located under the floorpan, so to reach optimum temperature car needs relatively frequent expressway exercises to regenerate normally. I guess if one knows what he is doing, and act accordingly, they are reasonably trouble free.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back