FAQ - GC ( German Castrol )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Darn. I ran it quite a bit during the winter back in its heyday. I'm sure the gold is just as good but it doesn't have the same novelty and nostalgia for me as the green.

Originally Posted By: Kaiser
Hello here,

I suscribed to a youtube channel (Piotr Tester). There is a guy who makes some friction tests with oils.

He tested the Castrol Edge FST 0w40 here :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWi4HzCA44I&t=1s

The result of the friction test is 0,15 for the Castrol 0w40 and 0,02 for the Mobil 1 New Life SHC (the old version, not the FS)
So according this test the wear protection of the Mobil 1 0w40 is way better than the Castrol.

What do you think about that ?

What I think is that Friction and wear are not related nor expected to correlate with one another.

I've come across that YouTube channel as well and it's all bogus. Cooking oil with a torch and using a misleading friction test? Perhaps with non-roller cams the friction test has some merit. Otherwise, I would ignore that channel. Castrol 0W-40 UOAs speak for themselves.

its hard to believe they are giving you PAO + some Ester at about $5 a qt!!! things too good to be true are untrue!!!

Originally Posted By: benjy
its hard to believe they are giving you PAO + some Ester at about $5 a qt!!! things too good to be true are untrue!!!

It is price war. Castrol is probably loosing money.
That same Castrol in Europe is around $15 to $20 per liter. What would you say for that?

Originally Posted By: edyvw

That same Castrol in Europe is around $15 to $20 per liter. What would you say for that?

But is it definitely the same? The bottles say "Made in Germany - Not for sale outside the Americas" which makes me wonder why.

edyvw ~ been thinking exactly that ~ short term dumping has become an accepted business practice ~ IMO none are doing it more than SK post KORUS … another economic disaster no consumer cares about …

I think Emirates is doing the same things in travel …

Originally Posted By: harrydog
Originally Posted By: edyvw

But is it definitely the same? The bottles say "Made in Germany - Not for sale outside the Americas" which makes me wonder why.

It is same oil.
However, it cannot be sold outside of the U.S. because Castrol would start loosing money elsewhere.
Europe is much more expensive then US generally, and selling 0W30/40 that is made for US market in Europe is more legal then business issue.

Originally Posted By: 4WD
edyvw ~ been thinking exactly that ~ short term dumping has become an accepted business practice ~ IMO none are doing it more than SK post KORUS … another economic disaster no consumer cares about …

I think Emirates is doing the same things in travel …

Who knows, maybe Wal Mart is also part of that. Maybe Wal mart loose money on that oil but know that you will buy 10 other things in the store when you come to pick up oil.

Originally Posted By: harrydog

If you look at any Castrol bottle on the shelf, even the lowliest GTX, you'll see the "Not for sale outside the Americas" blurb.

Is Kendall still making green oil
laugh.gif

In Europe we have two versions of Castrol Edge FST Titanium 0w-40
- One which meets LL01 specs and made in Germany (perhaps the same as the of this thread)
- One which meets LL04 specs and made in Belgium (sometimes in France)

The one which meets LL04 :
- Viscosity @ 40°C : 77
- Viscosity @ 100°C : 13,1
- VI : 172
- Flashpoint : 209°C
- Noack : unknown
- HTHS : unknown
- Sulfated Ash : 0,8%

The one which meets LL01 :
- Viscosity @ 40°C : 74
- Viscosity @ 100°C : 13,2
- VI : 181
- Flashpoint : 224°C
- Noack : 8,9%
- Sulfated Ash : 1,1%

The last one, Is it the same as the "German Castrol" of this thread ?

Last edited:
Yes, the 0W40 A3/B4 rated LL-01 is the version we get in the US.

Originally Posted By: Kaiser
In Europe we have two versions of Castrol Edge FST Titanium 0w-40
- One which meets LL01 specs and made in Germany (perhaps the same as the of this thread)
- One which meets LL04 specs and made in Belgium (sometimes in France)

The one which meets LL04 :
- Viscosity @ 40°C : 77
- Viscosity @ 100°C : 13,1
- VI : 172
- Flashpoint : 209°C
- Noack : unknown
- Sulfated Ash : 0,8%

The one which meets LL01 :
- Viscosity @ 40°C : 74
- Viscosity @ 100°C : 13,2
- VI : 181
- Flashpoint : 224°C
- Noack : 8,9%
- Sulfated Ash : 1,1%

The last one, Is it the same as the "German Castrol" of this thread ?

It seems that there is a new formulation of the Edge FST Titanium 0w40 here in Deutschland.

- Viscosity @ 40°C : 79
- Viscosity @ 100°C : 13,5
- VI : 169
- Flashpoint : 240°C
- Sulfated Ash : 1,12%

Any informations about that in North America ?

Originally Posted By: BIMMA
2GR-FE calls for 5-30.
Mine currently is running on M1 0-20 AFE but the engine is more noisy and not that smooth.

My ES350 with the 2GR-FE ran 5w-30 for most of its life. For a period I believe of at least one oil change interval, possibly two interspersed oil changes, the dealership used 5w-20. The fuel economy dropped both cruising on the freeway and overall. Soon as I had the next oil change back to 5w-30, the fuel economy jumped up again to where it was before. The temps here in the eastbay get to 105f in the day time for at least 2 weeks out of the year and even when the temperatures are only in the mid 80s, I still found the fuel economy penalty to with the 5w-20 to persist.

Primary purpose of the thin oil is for better viscosity when cold. I can't remember if there was a benefit to the thinner oil when it was cold as I don't remember if the thinner oil was used during the winter time. I just remember that overall, the fuel economy was worse with the 5w-20 than the 5w-30. Fuel economy as of now is exactly the same as when I purchased the car new despite 80K miles on the odometer. Fuel trims are at 0 so I know the engine is running well and has no leaks. The car's fuel consumption at idle on a hot engine with no load (in park/neutral) is approximately .22gph which is quite good considering the displacement of the motor. I currently use 0W-30 Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy but I haven't really noticed any improvement over the conventional oil that was in there previously. I have access to the GC 0W-30 and Mobil 1 5w-30 so I could always test those as well and see if there is a fuel economy change.

I just found one on a web site in my country. (Taiwan)
Could anyone help to identify if this (as screen shot) is the CORRECT German Castrol 0W-40?

GC-0w40.jpg

Last edited:
From the label, yes, that appears to be correct, and appears to be a U.S. label. The Canadian label is much the same, but has reference to a Canadian address for BP and French, of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back