Recommend a paint for flexible ABS (tire cover)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to paint a spare tire cover which is very flexible. The truck is gloss black so no need to get a coded color match, any black will do in that regard.

I have some Van Sickle spray enamel, from an old tractor project. Would that work, or I need a particular paint with flex additive for something like that? It is a "premium" enamel but I'm unsure if it's suitable for that application. It is actually their "Super Premium" line and that makes me think it has extra hardener in it and would be a bad choice. I painted some ABS fender flares a few years ago, and they came out nicely - but I used the coded matched paint from AutomotiveTouchup.com which was probably more tailored for this use.

You are certainly on the right track when you mention flex agent.

Show it to a good paint shop.

I recommend something like Krylon Fusion. It's a spray "paint" that actually fuses chemically with the plastic. After trying numerous things, including flex agent and flexible bumper paint on the rub strips on my old Honda's bumper Fusion was the permanent fix.

I'd take it to an auto body shop to donit right and bake it proper. I'm sure the result will be much better. Since there's very little to the prep, and they probably spray more stuff than anyone, this may be an ideal job for Maaco.

I appreciate the caution, but this is not a body panel proper, or anything too difficult. I have the proper painting supplies to prep it. I also have an impromptu oven I rig in one garage bay with a lined reflector box and space heater at a distance. I also have an HVLP gun I can use when it is really necessary/job is big enough or critical enough.

I went and got Krylon Fusion as it seems highly recommended for this type of user. I have to say, I will NOT use it again.

The coverage was abysmal and the spray pattern horrible resulting in far too much orange peel. Unfortunately the aftermarket fan nozzles I have as spares/extras did not fit the can. The stock one was ill-suited to either tack coating or laying the color coat; it did neither well. I know what results I would have got with various Rustoleum paints (I am always very impressed with their "Professional High Performance" line), Van Sickle premium and super premium paints, etc. I will not be clear coating it with the Krylon but instead use some duplicolor automotive clear I have instead and risk the flex agent content.

If this were a yard item or panel on a dirt bike, it would be acceptable. But for something you want nice, this paint requires more post-application correction than it really should.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back