Polish Windshield?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have some faint wiper marks on my windshield. Are there any good polishing products out there?

Wash it with a brush and Dawn detergent ~ and then Stoner glass cleaner to be 100% sure it is scratched …
Turtle wax makes a glass polish

Last edited:
Need a rotary buffer or strong arms. Use CeriGlass and a dedicated glass pad. Check AutoGeek for materials and advice.

I read use Bon Ami powder cleaner applying it to the wet windshield and rubbing it with damp newspapers then wash off. By golly it worked on my 1996 Contour windshield. It got rid of the fine scratches and allowed the windshield wipers to work sooo much better. I think I read about this trick here on BITOG some years ago.

Whimsey

Using newspapers made sense back in the day when it was printed with ink that had abrasives in it. Now the ink is soy based and doesn't have the abrasive properties it once did.

I use Bon Ami “1886 Formula” powder. It’s harder to find than the regular Bon Ami - I get it at a local independent hardware store. That stuff is specifically named in a BMW service bulletin about chattering wipers.

Originally Posted By: E365
I use Bon Ami “1886 Formula” powder. It’s harder to find than the regular Bon Ami - I get it at a local independent hardware store. That stuff is specifically named in a BMW service bulletin about chattering wipers.

Ha; I just realized that Bob Ami is French (good friend).

I tried the Bon Ami and ceramic cooktop cleaner. Progress, but need more.

bon ami or barkeepers friend. You can also use very very very fine steel wool and water/dawn for lubrication. To be honest I have used barkeepers friend in the past with no issues

Autoglym Car Glass Polish has worked very well for me. Take your time using an orbital polisher and be sure to mask off the rubber/plastic trim as this will leave a residue. It has both ammonia and mild abrasives in it.

Noticed a large difference while driving in the rain for the first time since using it last weekend. Will do my Saab when I get around to it.

regards
Jordan

I super clean my windshields and then apply Aquapel which works well to fill in minor scratches and imperfections and causes rain to bead right off for up to 6 months.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back