Fix for broken photobucket pics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I haven't seen this mentioned - But here's a fix for all those broken photobucket images.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...cpkaon?hl=en-US

Add extension, VOILA!
- Pics open again.

There's also one for Firefox, but you'll have to look it up.

The one thing I do not like about this Chrome extension is "It can read and change all your data on websites you visit" this message is shown when you click to add. Sadly I will stay pictureless because of this. I want what I do on the web for my eyes only as much as possible.

It says it makes the images visible to the USER. I assume if someone else does not have this app installed do they still see the photobucket ransom picture if in a forum etc.?

Originally Posted By: RTexasF
It says it makes the images visible to the USER. I assume if someone else does not have this app installed do they still see the photobucket ransom picture if in a forum etc.?

Yeah, in Firefox, this only makes my own images visible in forum posts. It does not make other people's images visible.

Can you guys see my image in this post?

https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthr...0W-#Post4115664

Originally Posted By: fozzdesy2001
Originally Posted By: Linctex
I haven't seen this mentioned - But here's a fix for all those broken photobucket images.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detai...cpkaon?hl=en-US

Add extension, VOILA!
- Pics open again.

There's also one for Firefox, but you'll have to look it up.

The one thing I do not like about this Chrome extension is "It can read and change all your data on websites you visit" this message is shown when you click to add. Sadly I will stay pictureless because of this. I want what I do on the web for my eyes only as much as possible.

Change is quite a big deal. So this app can inject other information (or ads) to sites?

Yikes.

I got excited for a moment but it looks like it works for some photos but not others. I really wanted to see one of my long lost UOAs that I posted but it didn't work. Maybe my photo bucket account was terminated for not being active enough.

My long lost UOA link

What does Photobucket think about this ? They're wanting everybody to upgrade their account so that they get more money. Photobucket lawsuit against Google in the future ?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Yeah, in Firefox, this only makes my own images visible in forum posts. It does not make other people's images visible.

I can see it on an iPad.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
My fix is I got to Photobucket and down load the picture back to my HD then just load them to BITOG from my HD works every time.

Sure that works, until you have multiple times as many pics and then multiplied by many different sites over several years. Many of us can't even begin to map out everywhere, every post we have photobucket pics in and even if we could, do not have the time to d/l, u/l, edit the thousands of posts.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
What does Photobucket think about this ? They're wanting everybody to upgrade their account so that they get more money. Photobucket lawsuit against Google in the future ?

For the time being they apparently have observed that they've [censored] off half the internet and don't dare block this too, "YET".

I'm sure they're also aware that a large % of users would never pay for their service. They might be looking into some way to embed advertising into images embedded into 3rd party 'sites.

Why would photobucket sue Google? They didn't make the add-on. Sites already have methods to prevent hot linking, if they don't pursue those then they can't argue due diligence.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BobsArmory
I really wanted to see one of my long lost UOAs that I posted but it didn't work. Maybe my photo bucket account was terminated for not being active enough.

Your photobucket account still seems to be active. Here you go:
37668080256_7a6f794372_o.jpg

Originally Posted By: Dave9
For the time being they apparently have observed that they've [censored] off half the internet and don't dare block this too, "YET".

I'm sure they're also aware that a large % of users would never pay for their service. They might be looking into some way to embed advertising into images embedded into 3rd party 'sites.

Why would photobucket sue Google? They didn't make the add-on. Sites already have methods to prevent hot linking, if they don't pursue those then they can't argue due diligence.

OK -- so if I download the app to my Google Chrome browser, does that mean if I post a picture from my Photobucket account into a BITOG post that I have to be using my Google Chrome browser at the time I post the picture ? What if I try to post the picture with my Firefox browser; will the picture be viewible if I post it while using Firefox ?

one alternative, however unpopular it might be, would be to stop using the offending service.

i personally prefer Micky Soft's OneDrive or Alphabet's Drive.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
one alternative, however unpopular it might be, would be to stop using the offending service.

Of course. I think we all have done that by now, but that is not going to fix all the non-showing images in all the posts on all the forums all over the Internet that can no longer be edited.

Okay, and what would fix that? Forcing the offending service to roll something out or reverse their decision obviously. And how can that be initiated? Hit 'em where it hurts - their bottom line, i.e. Vote with your wallet, ii.ee. Stop giving them your business.

Will it work? Unlikely.

Is this one of those scenarios where people just shafted and have to live with it? Much more likely.

Originally Posted By: The_Nuke
Okay, and what would fix that?

Well, I thought the addon that OP posted was some kind of a workaround to make those images show up again, but it turned out to be wishful thinking on my part.
Quote:
Hit 'em where it hurts - their bottom line, i.e. Vote with your wallet, ii.ee. Stop giving them your business.

Since it was free to begin with, then what does "stop giving them your business" mean?

Quote:
Is this one of those scenarios where people just shafted and have to live with it? Much more likely.

Quite possibly.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I see only the two placeholder hacks from photobucket, not your pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back