It's about lots and lots of coffee

Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually have blood pressure on the low side and I'm cold all the time. I eat a ton of salt because I'm addicted to it and drink a ton of coffee. They are going to study this body when I'm done with it.
lol.gif

I do have Type-II diabetes though, managed to get it under control with diet alone but have to watch my sugar/carb intake now. Not terrible but it's a bummer not having that piece of cake/pie when you want it.

As for Timmies Coffee, It's just that there is 5,000 locations in Canada with a population of 35 million people so it's easy to find. A lot of them are making so much money that they don't care to maintain their machines properly and you get a lot of cups of substandard coffee.

As a sales guy on the road I know all the good locations and where those aren't good I know all the McDonalds locations which has stellar coffee up here (to compete with Timmies).

I learned where all the locations were when I worked at Ecolab and drove 60K Miles (100,000km) per year servicing chemical dispensers. Everyone deals with Ecolab in the restaurant industry so it's a lot of long hours and tons and tons of miles.

A lot of terrible cold coffee too!
lol.gif

Last edited:
I have 2 or 3 cups of instant on breaks at work. I don't have coffee after 5.00pm because I can't sleep. I do have a plunger at home for better coffee, but seldom use it. At home I use a coffee substitute, Inka usually.

Back in exam time at University, I could take two no-doze, a desert spoon of instant coffee and wash it down with a coke...and fall asleep (pretty vivid dreams).

Nowadays, it's 1 cup weekdays around 2-4PM...work has the capsule machines, so 1 shot of espresso, 1 shot of decaf, and plain milk, to total combined volume of about a cup.

I can drink tea all day, but the coffee is what gives a buzz.

At home, I've got one of those single cup percolators, and a plunger...both make very different coffee.

Funny experience just then...reading through the thread, and went to take a swig of my tea...

Brain was expecting the aroma and fullness of coffee, mouth got tea.

Black. About 12 oz using 4 tablespoons of fine ground coffee with a #2 cone filter and a plastic cone. It's really simple and makes about as perfect a cup of drip coffee. Drip coffee is very simple and doesn't really require expensive or complicated equipment.

I have my favorite coffee, but I'll use anything. Trader Joe's JOE is more than acceptable at a good price. While I was on the road I stopped by a Winco Foods and tried their house brand coffee at $6/lb. They had a variety, but the one that seemed interesting was a Tanzanian peaberry. It was pretty obvious they were peaberries. I remember picking out peaberries from a bag of beans a few times just out of boredom.

~5 cups of coffee during the day and ~2 cups of tea in the evening. When possible I prefer my coffee percolated with table cream no sugar. Tea with milk and a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Lots of caffeine but no issues with sleep.

I can't drink coffee straight black it irritates the back of my throat and makes me feel like I need to constantly clear it.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I drink 4-5 cups a day. Black, of course.

I could drink a cup and go right to bed.

That's because your body is now immune to caffeine. With that much per day, it is no longer going to keep you awake. If you were to go a few weeks without it, your body would likely reset itself and caffeine would keep you awake again.

https://www.caffeineinformer.com/caffeine-tolerance

Patman,

I'm not sure I agree with that. Example:

I'm up at 4am after I go to bed around midnight and I'm tired as a dog. (I know it's my own fault but Youtube is just so interesting)

I will have 2 large cups of coffee (bowls with handles) in the first few hours between home and work and shortly after I arrive and then I feel alert and full of energy to start my day.

If I don't have this coffee I'm dragging my behind all day and I feel terrible.

I also drink giant loads of coffee on a regular basis and have done so for a long time.

I think it still has some effect but that it just doesn't affect our sleep the same way as someone who consumes far less or hasn't been drinking it as long.

cheers3.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ndfergy
~5 cups of coffee during the day and ~2 cups of tea in the evening. When possible I prefer my coffee percolated with table cream no sugar. Tea with milk and a 1/4 teaspoon of sugar. Lots of caffeine but no issues with sleep.

Percolated? That can either be bitter as heck from overextraction or the boiling will remove a lot of the flavor.

Two 10oz cups in the morning before work and some times during the day at work I'll have a half cup of the swill they call coffee just for a little pick me up if I can catch it right after it's made. After all these years I still get the same buzz but as one mentioned if I'm tired no amount of coffee will keep me from sleeping.

Right now I've been trying some beans from Guatemala, specifically from the Huehuetenango region, nice nutty chocolate flavors.

I'm some what jealous of you guys that can drink anything you pick up at the store, it would save me a few hundred dollars a year. I figure I spend over $600 a year on fresh beans.

Steve, perhaps some people don't have that caffeine tolerance effect. In my case, I had a period of time where every day at work in the afternoon I would feel very sleepy (even with a full night's sleep) and I would almost doze off at my computer! My solution was a can of diet Mountain Dew, which doesn't even have a huge amount of caffeine (about half of what a cup of coffee has) After drinking that one can every day at work for only a couple of weeks, eventually it stopped keeping me awake! I notice the same thing happen if I have had one of those caffeine energy shots too many days in a row too. But if I limit myself to caffeine only once or twice a week, it never fails to wake me up when I'm drowsy. I now mostly try to only have caffeine if I'm on a longer road trip, so that I stay alert at the wheel.

Originally Posted By: y_p_w
Originally Posted By: ndfergy

Percolated? That can either be bitter as heck from overextraction or the boiling will remove a lot of the flavor.

That's what people tell me but to my palate it tastes better.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Steve, perhaps some people don't have that caffeine tolerance effect. In my case, I had a period of time where every day at work in the afternoon I would feel very sleepy (even with a full night's sleep) and I would almost doze off at my computer! My solution was a can of diet Mountain Dew, which doesn't even have a huge amount of caffeine (about half of what a cup of coffee has) After drinking that one can every day at work for only a couple of weeks, eventually it stopped keeping me awake! I notice the same thing happen if I have had one of those caffeine energy shots too many days in a row too. But if I limit myself to caffeine only once or twice a week, it never fails to wake me up when I'm drowsy. I now mostly try to only have caffeine if I'm on a longer road trip, so that I stay alert at the wheel.

I guess.
thumbsup2.gif

I'm all over the place. Some days, it'll keep me awake. Sometimes, I'm tired enough it won't keep me up. But, my schedule is all over the place, and I usually go to bed very, very late. My morning coffee is usually 3:00 or 4:00 p.m.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back