98 Buick lesabre,p0420 code, o2 sensors?cat?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gotcha! Now before I refill with coolant,after the intake job, I believe the black rtv ,has too dry,cure? 24 hourz?

Yes 24 hours. And when you're applying the RTV to the corners of the end seals, squeeze out one LARGE bead to each corner as if you were squeezing it onto your toothbrush. Do not spread the bead around with your fingers. The four beads in the four corners should be about 3/8 inch in diameter. They should be large enough so that after you set the lower intake manifold in place, you'll see them oozing out by the end seals.

Ok 24 hours. Should I also squeeze some rtv under the 2 side bar looking gaskets? That go on the block under the intake manifold bittom? The 2 solid bar looking things...sidebars?

No RTV under the side bar gaskets. I called FEL-PRO and they said no.

And you're going to need either a right angle pick or a small L-bolt to get the broken piece of elbow out of the lower intake manifold. I used a little L-bolt clamped in some vice-grips to pull mine out.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
No RTV under the side bar gaskets. I called FEL-PRO and they said no.

And you're going to need either a right angle pick or a small L-bolt to get the broken piece of elbow out of the lower intake manifold. I used a little L-bolt clamped in some vice-grips to pull mine out.

A gutter spike head works great to snag the broken elbow and pull it out. Clean out the hole of any corrosion before inserting the new elbow.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Lubener
A gutter spike head works great to snag the broken elbow and pull it out.

I wish I would've known that at the time, since I already have some.

Ok...am I going too need,a 1/4 ratchet,or a 3/8 drive ratchet? I do need too get the sockets,autozone...one set,cheaper,is for 1/4 ratchet, another set,is 3/8 drive.

I do have adapters,but prefer too not use them.in my experience, adapters loose some torque.better too just use the right ratchet,and socket. 1/4 or 3/8 drive ratchet?

Egineer20? Cmon! Should I be using a 1/4 ratchet,or 3/8 drive ratchet?
And...Will the outings on the doorman pipes,be sufficient?or should I get like Napa ones? As delcos?

Looks like I'll be using a 3/8 ratchet,re watching YouTube vids.now, I believe in gonna have too drain coolant,from the block? I read theirs 2 drain plugs on the bloick..so far found theirs one in back of the engine,under the manifold...picture online.another showed near transmission cover...what size bolts are those?

You don't need to drain the block; just the radiator.

I used a 1/4 drive and a 3/8 drive ratchet. I also used a 1/4 drive spin handle.

Make three passes on the lower intake manifold. First pass 63 inch pounds. Second pass 95 inch pounds. Third pass 189 inch pounds.

Upper intake manifold: 30, 60, and then 89.

Torque sequences below:

0996b43f80230761.gif

7746d1336060318-02-park-ave-torque-sequence-u-l-intakes-uimsequence.gif

Ah ok,the radiator..one guy had do some work on his 3800 engine,and said he got only a balloon our,coolant. If I had too, could I just jack of car up,so more coolant goes too the radiator?
And thanks on the diagram! The guys I saw on youtube, said 2 passes on the lower gadket,but they just torqued them too 89 ft lbs.one guy,a former cm mechanic used Newton meters.

My fellow lower gasket,came with what appears to be 2 lower long ,sidebars, and 2 short ones.do I use both?

Gotcha! I didn't know if I am going too have too put the smaller ones under the long ones,ect.didn't see anyone do that in the YouTube vids,just long ones. Thanks!
One guy,used blue loctite,in this intake bolts...a former th mechanic didnt. Is it required?

The Loctite is not required, but at such low torque levels there's not much to keep the bolts from loosening. On higher torque levels like head bolts for example, the bolt stretch helps keep them tight.

On one of my sauce pans in my kitchen, the single screw that holds the handle on would keep loosening up over time. Finally one day I had enough and applied blue Loctite to the screw threads. No more loose screw!

I tested my a.c. Delco torque adapter today,New batterys,however, the lowest torque, ft lbs,is 3-59 ft lbs. Too start with the lowest torque,which is below 3 ft lbs,could I do the first torque sequences,using 3 ft lbs? Or just it be below that? It does convert to numeric something another,and inch lbs to. But it Dr prefer too use the ft.lbs.

Last edited:
I have 2 click torque wtenches,both3/4 drive.one is a heavy but cheap made in Taiwan inch lbs,and a craftsman one I bought, like mid 2000,a and only used it like 2 times,testing it too hear the click when a low torque was set.been sitting in tool chest and craftsman in a basket ever since. I'm assuming,the a.c. Delco is more precise,than the clickers i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back