Small Engines.... Robin / Subaru vs. Honda ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: JTK
Any of the Subaru/Robin OPE engines I've seen lately appear to be regular Chinese import OHV engines.

I would say with almost 100% certainty, that the engines you are referring to are actual clones of the true Robin engine...the Predator comes to mind.

While looking very similar on the outside, I would strongly speculate they are nowhere near the quality inside.

What I love about Subaru/Robin, is if I have a tech question, I can make a phone call and speak to someone about the motor, and order parts if necessary...thats how I replaced the rod and piston in my older Powermate generator.

Gotta love that service.

If Robin engines go away, it will be a very sad day.

Last edited:
Looks like they will continue the EY & EX engines.....this made me feel better.
smile.gif

http://www.crommelins.com.au/news.php?newsid=45&g=2

So.... If current Robin / Subaru engines are Chi-Com clones, I'm not seeing them as being any better, or even as good as Chi-Com Harbor Freight Predator Engines. Which are nothing more than Honda clones. If that's the case, I'll stick with Honda. It's not that I hate China, but I prefer Japanese over them given the choice. And at least I know Honda is 100% Japanese. And parts and service are easier and quicker to obtain.

Right now these are the 2 models I'm considering. Both are Honda powered. I like the extra capacity of the Max Air. However from what I've been researching, while the 3 cylinder compressors deliver much more air volume, they do so with increased vibration. And over time many have reported issues because of that. The Northern Tool model Has a better design with 2 wheels, instead of the "wheelbarrow" type design. And a 2 cylinder compressor that's much less prone to vibration. That's similar to the style of the compressor I have now. Albeit the Honda powered Northern has far more capacity.

Another issue with many of the "wheelbarrow" type compressors, because the handles are so low to the ground. Is they require you to raise them to an acute angle, in order to be able to move them from place to place. Depending on the engine this can cause oil from the crankcase to get into the upper cylinder from tilting the engine too much. Hard starting can often be the result, along with a fouled plug.

If I order from either company I'm going to have to pay for lift gate delivery, (Extra $75.00). As I don't have anyone to help me unload it. And delivery can be a wide window. But I won't have to pay sales tax. So it's pretty much tit for tat.

https://www.aircompressorsdirect.com/MAXair-TT90G-MAP-Air-Compressor/p5509.html

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/p...utm_content=2x2

Originally Posted By: billt460
So.... If current Robin / Subaru engines are Chi-Com clones, I'm not seeing them as being any better, or even as good as Chi-Com Harbor Freight Predator Engines. Which are nothing more than Honda clones. If that's the case, I'll stick with Honda. It's not that I hate China, but I prefer Japanese over them given the choice. And at least I know Honda is 100% Japanese. And parts and service are easier and quicker to obtain.

Not to sound rude, but could you please not refer to Subaru/ Robin engines as "Chi-Com clones"
confused.gif
thus clouding the judgement of potential buyers.

Robin engines are the real-deal high quality engines....please do your homework.

Also, Subaru/Robin is Japanese, just like Honda. Having used both and still do, I prefer the quietness and smoothness of the Robin. I will however use a GX without any regrets.

https://www.subarupower.com/subaru-history/

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: i6pwr

Not to sound rude, but could you please not refer to Subaru/ Robin engines as "Chi-Com clones"
confused.gif

Robin engines are the real-deal high quality engines....please do your homework.

Also, Subaru/Robin is Japanese, just like Honda. Having used both and still do, I prefer the quietness and smoothness of the Robin. I will however use a GX without any regrets.

What does "Chi-Com" mean?

Originally Posted By: boraticus

confused.gif

If youre referring to me.....safe bet it has a few meanings, sounds derogatory to me personally. That's why I used the quotation marks.

Quote:

Chinese-Communist.
Mainland China these days.

Taiwan is also Chinese but international politics keeps them
from calling themselves 'Free China'.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
Quote:

Chinese-Communist.
Mainland China these days.

Taiwan is also Chinese but international politics keeps them
from calling themselves 'Free China'.

My 2¢

I figured something like that but had never heard of or seen the term used before. If someone is going to refer to communist China, one would think that Com-Chi would be more accurate.

confused.gif

I'm not the one referring to them being built in China. Are you telling me there is no such thing as a Subaru engine being manufactured in China? Communist / free, or otherwise?

Originally Posted By: JimmyChainsaw
There are Ryobi lawnmowers with Subaru branded engines still available in our market. These are manufactured in China by who knows, but interestingly the part numbers are very similar to Honda numbers. I would not recommend anyone buy Subaru/Robin product,it has proved very reliable but what happens in 10 years when you want parts?

Robin Vs Honda to me comes down to how close a given engine and genset meet your needs and what has greater parts availability in your area.

Ive seen Robin Subaru inverter gensets power entire dry campsites for weeks at a time, one of the few gassers equal to Honda Yamaha in terms of quality and reliability and superior parts availability. Guy tell me its got like 10K hours on it and its never had a problem all hes does is change oil air filter, and a spark plug and clean the exhaust out once every 1000 hours or so.

My construction boating buddies tell me their open frame stuff is robust as well.

To me it comes down to which dealer you know and can work with and wether of not you can get parts locally of the three major japanese brands there simply No going wrong with Robin Subaru.

UD

I wouldn't bet the farm that a Honda engine on a third party piece of equipment is manufactured in Japan. Here's a list of where they make their generators, direct from Honda. They clearly aren't 100% Japanese.

37514404001_099cc8cbc4_o.png

Ed

So it's basically a roll of the dice where it's made, regardless of the manufacturer? Suddenly Predator and Harbor Freight doesn't look so bad. If anything they have an advantage, seeing as they've been manufacturing in China since day one.

As I've mentioned before, Chinese sub-contractors CAN make/build
quality on par with Japanese brands. IF the Japanese MFGs that
contract the Chinese factory demands that level of quality.

My 2¢

Originally Posted By: dwendt44
As I've mentioned before, Chinese sub-contractors CAN make/build
quality on par with Japanese brands. IF the Japanese MFGs that
contract the Chinese factory demands that level of quality.

I agree with you. I have purchased many Chinese manufactured products that are of good quality. But at the same time if you are paying for what you think is Japanese manufactured quality, you should be getting it. If not, it should at least appear somewhere on the ad for the product, as well as on the product itself where you don't have to hunt for it..... "Made In China". Using myself for an example. Until I started this thread, I had no idea Honda or Robin / Subaru engines were made in China. Either partially or complete engines. All of this borders somewhat on false advertising.

Originally Posted By: JimmyChainsaw

I would not recommend anyone buy Subaru/Robin product,it has proved very reliable but what happens in 10 years when you want parts?

Why would you not recommend an engine based on the fact you don't think parts will be avail? There are parts distributors and there are shipping companies. That's how I replaced internal parts due to the previous owners neglect on a 9 year old Robin engine.

Are you telling me there is no such thing as a Subaru engine being manufactured in China?

I'm not suggesting that remotely at all.

My point is a Subaru/Robin engine is not a Chinese clone, or clone of anything. Robin has been around since the 1950's, and is a very high quality engine.

Very well could be assembled in China, alot of companies have moved factories there. That doesn't dismiss the fact they are built under Fuji's standards.

Last edited:
Apple makes iPhones in china- you can get excellent product and junk from China like anywhere else.

If the japanese set up the line, spec'd the parts, and monitor and maintain the quality country of assembly is less meaningful to me than it used to be.

Jimmychainsaw has a better chance of getting parts for a 10 year old Robin that he does getting parts for a brand new predator.

UD

Please have a look at this web site;http://www.subarupower-global.com/.It clearly states that the power products division of FHI is closing.
My understanding is that Subaru will license their name to other companies to manufacture engines.This I believe is the case with Ryobi who sell mowers in our market with Subaru engines on them.The spare parts are only available from Ryobi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back