Ever have a routine oil change go wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
Not once in sixty some years of oil changes. A little hot oil down the arm changing oil in Hondas.

Show off! lol

Great stories everyone, very entertaining to read everyone's experiences

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Linctex
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm

CRAZY how long ago that seems!! A bright yellow or dark green rotary phone. We eventually upgraded to a touch tone "Slimline" phone from Southwestern Bell. I remember how high tech it seemed,the buttons even lit up!
laugh.gif
And now we carry around a super computer in our pocket!

Our first rotary phone was black, we only dialed the last four digits for locals calls, and were were on a "Party Line". How many of you ever heard of that?

We later got a deep red colored phone. My mother redid the entire kitchen so the phone would match. LOL!!

Haha everyone I knew including my parents had a phone that matched the color of EVERY room it was in!
laugh.gif
Do you remember when "lines would get crossed" (at least that's the way I always heard people refer to it) and you'd pick up the phone to make a call and you'd hear two of your neighbors having a conversation! Or,how you could dial "1-4-1-4-1-1",then hang it up really quick and it'd ring the phones in your own house and whoever would answer it would be like "Hello?,Hello?" because of course no one was on the other end haha.

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
These were the stone age days when cordless phones didn't exist. I went inside to take the call

CRAZY how long ago that seems!! Thinking back when I was a kid playing outside,mom or dad would open the front door and shout out,"Son,so and so's on the phone",we'd stop what we were doing and go inside to answer the phone. A bright yellow or dark green rotary phone. We eventually upgraded to a touch tone "Slimline" phone from Southwestern Bell. I remember how high tech it seemed,the buttons even lit up!
laugh.gif
And now we carry around a super computer in our pocket!

LOL and if you were lucky the rotary phone had an extra long cord on it.

And the cord was always "coiled" haha

A few less common ones I've seen, or done:

A relative had trouble finding the right drain plug---instead, accidentally drained the transmission of a '66 F100, and later screwed up the adjustment of recirculating-ball steering box on his mother's Impala.

A couple of elderly bachelor brothers I knew bought a Chevy Sprint. (It got ridiculous mpg when they drove it from NJ to California and back in summer with no AC.) When the oil filter was stuck, they tried using a hammer and punch on the edge of the filter seam. The punch slipped and punched through the nearby oil passage in the block. Bye, bye, Sprint!

After changing the ArcoGraphite in my Mazda, I leaned the drain pan against the building, to give it time to drain thoroughly into the waste oil jug. While I was napping, water from a thunderstorm poured off the roof, exactly right into the pan and funnel. The rainwater sank to the bottom of the jug, displacing the about half my used ArcoGraphite all over the ground. That was my ugliest oil spill so far.

Last edited:
A few I've made:

I did a "double gasket" boo boo on an oil filter one time and when I started the engine the filter shot off like a bullet! And literally sounded like a gun going off,cracking the drain pan!

I'd forgotten to reinstall the drain plug one time and poured 5 quarts of expensive Syntec straight into the drain pan.

I had a few too many cervezas after changing the oil one time,backed my car off the ramps,having forgotten that the full drain pan was underneath,dragged it all the way down my driveway and into the street destroying it. Yep,had to buy a new drain pan.

The princes phones came out approx 1968 or 9. What a pain. They looked nice compared to the skull crushing phones we all had. Problem was as soon as you answered it and put the phone to your ear,the stiff coiled phone line pulled the dainty 1 lb phone base and all the junk on your night stand off in one quick swoop.I dont think they lasted long.
woops! I just wondered off topic and into memory lane..sorry

Last edited:
The vent/drain hole combo on the closed top pans wont keep up with the 13 quarts of pitch black used diesel oil rapidly flowing from the 1" drain hole in the pan on my 6.7 powerstroke. I made collosal messes the first three times I changed the oil my truck.

Once on a buddy's truck, I had to "dissasemble" a stubborn filter with channel locks and use the holes in the base to convince the base to thread off the block.

Last edited:
Not me but my friend's car. She took/takes her car to a Jiffy Lube to have her oil changes and I once did it for her and found the drain plug over-torqued to about 100 ft-lbsf and cross threaded. I used a Lisle drain plug repair kit to fix it. I know change her oil for her once a year since she only dirves about 1,200 miles per year.

Had the funnel pop out of the fill hole on the valve cover while pouring oil, and spilled oil down the valve cover and on some wire harnesses, and in a bunch of nooks and crannies in the engine bay. Must have spent at least 2 hours cleaning ever spilled drop up. That won't happen again!

Old gasket did not come off with filter. I installed a new filter then started the engine and lost a lot of good oil real fast !

I did once decide to do an oil change during a blizzard when my workplace closed and the governor was begging people to stay home if possible.
I had to back my car out of the garage a bit to get it up on the ramps, anyway, so I decided it would be fun to hoon around my little circle once and see just how bad the driving was.
Changing the oil with big chunks of melting snow falling in my face was super fun!

Originally Posted By: PalmSpringsSCal
The princes phones came out approx 1968 or 9. What a pain. They looked nice compared to the skull crushing phones we all had. Problem was as soon as you answered it and put the phone to your ear,the stiff coiled phone line pulled the dainty 1 lb phone base and all the junk on your night stand off in one quick swoop.I dont think they lasted long.
woops! I just wondered off topic and into memory lane..sorry
I have one I still use. Gave several more to Goodwill.

Originally Posted By: anndel
Not me but my friend's car. She took/takes her car to a Jiffy Lube to have her oil changes and I once did it for her and found the drain plug over-torqued to about 100 ft-lbsf and cross threaded. I used a Lisle drain plug repair kit to fix it. I know change her oil for her once a year since she only dirves about 1,200 miles per year.

Cross-Threading. The poor man's Loctite!
smile.gif

Left the cap off once and it actually started a small fire on the manifold as I drove. Stopped, blew out the fire, wipe it down, put the cap on and kept going.,

Other time the filter housing was cross threaded, it had been okay for a while but the last time it would not seal even though it felt tight, started it up all 4 quarts pumped to the ground in seconds, so not knowing it was the housing tried a new filter, another 4 quarts of synthetic on the floor. Finally had it towed and a new housing put on.

That I did? I forgot to put the filler cap back on after putting in the fresh oil. Didn't realize it until a few days after when I went to check the oil level and thought "Wow, I'm so quick I already removed the...wait a minute".

That someone else did? Not too bad but when I was still a teenager and my GF took her RAV4 to WalMart to get an oil change, we picked it up and the car started smoking really bad. Drove it back, as we both had no idea what was wrong, and the oil tech just said they had spilled some oil while filling and that's why it was smoking. They wiped it up and sprayed air and it was fine after.

Must have been a ton of oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back