2017 Hyundai accent vs 2017 Chevy sonic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I have 2 deals here, one on a Hyundai accent GL auto, and the other is a Chevy sonic 1.4 turbo RS fully equipped.

Which one for durability and ride comfort, noise level? And also maintenance cost.

Thank you!

The engines in the Hyundai Accent are bullet proof. They are great on gas. My aunt has 2010 and it's been a great little car.

The Chevy Sonic I'm not familiar with.

Last edited:
My vote goes for the Hyundai. I have one family member with the Chevy Sonic and it has not held up well at all. My experiences with Hyundai have always been good. Our old 2001 Accent is still on the road being driven by a friend and doing well. Last I knew it was around 170k miles or so. Different drivetrain than the 2017 of course but I’d imagine the new ones are even better than my 2001 was.

I have driven both and can definitely recommend the Hyundai over the Chevy. Hyundai has a very quality and smooth shifting auto and the pickup is not to bad once it gets up in the rpms. It's actually a fun little car. The Chevy just feels cheaper to me. I work for a rental company so both vehicles get beat on by renters. They both seem to be reliable. The stock Hyundai tires seem to be done by around 30k miles.

The Hyundai Accent hands down.

Are you searching strictly for price?

I got my Sonata earlier this year for far less than a new Accent would have been. Sure it had 52k miles, but with the difference in comfort, it was well worth it.

The 1.4T in the Sonic has to be a lot of fun, plus it looks a lot better than the old lady looking Accent.

In terms of build quality I forgot to mention my 2006 Santa Fe went 300,000 miles (535,000km) before a camshaft broke due to a casting defect. It wasn't burning oil and although some of the seals had oil seepage it didn't have any driveway leaks.

All I put into that vehicle was: Alternator, Starter, Battery, Oxygen Sensors and then wearables like brakes/tires/plugs.

If the camshaft hadn't broken I would still be driving it.

In comparison the 2015 Journey I have which has 80,000km (50K Miles) has had the alternator fail under warranty, the rear lamps in the ceiling start smoking, 5 safety recalls, and just recent Oxygen sensor, coolant sensor and 1 of the 2 thermostats.

Last edited:
I'd recommend the Hyundai, personally. Hyundai is still haunted by a bad reputation built up over 20 some-odd years, but within the last 10 or so years have really put out some solid cars. Especially with the 2017 lineup, Hyundai's interiors look really good and you don't have the same plastic feel in a lot of places that you had in years prior. Exterior wise, I still think that Hyundai is an acquired taste, but really don't look bad at all. Also, I was just never impressed by the Sonic whenever I had to drive it. The cabin design was too radical and cheap looking for me, although I will admit that the '17 looks much better than the '16s and older. That instrument cluster was stupid.

Originally Posted By: wolf_06

Which one for durability and ride comfort, noise level? And also maintenance cost.

Durability? Easy, the one without the turbo/direct injection

Ride comfort/noise level? That's a draw. They are basically the same vehicle.

Doesn't sound like you care about the fun factor of the car, so why not compare to a regular Sonic? All things equal, 17" lower profile tires never help ride or noise compared to lighter 15" tires.

Hyundai. My dad's '14 Accent 6mt has been absolutely perfect since new. Front brakes and sway bar links are all it's needed. He regularly gets 40-45 mpg. You will not TOUCH that in a turbo Sonic. Also remember, the Sonic is a Korean product from (what once was) Daewoo. They were garbage when they were Aveo's and they're garbage now. Friend of mine just had the HG done on her '1t Sonic 1.4t at 21k miles and it's had nothing but warning lights on since the day she bought it.

Last edited:
Chevrolet has never made a good small car in house. I have enjoyed several GM/Chevrolet products over the years so I am not anti. They have always had to farm out small cars from either Toyota, Daewoo, Suzuki etc. Any sub compact they try simply stinks. The Aveo is a prime example....
crackmeup2.gif

My brother had an previous generation Accent. When you look up vehicle torture test, his picture is beside the definition. He is the toughest guy on vehicles I have ever met. He beat that Accent like a rented mule...running it for days without shut off, bumpy dirt roads sleeping in it, storing plumbing tools in huge lock box in the back bouncing around...He couldn't break it. He did this for 4 years. The Accent only perished due to an incident with semi backing onto it.

If the new one is anything like the previous, it would be the choice.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 14Accent
Hyundai. My dad's '14 Accent 6mt has been absolutely perfect since new. Front brakes and sway bar links are all it's needed. He regularly gets 40-45 mpg. You will not TOUCH that in a turbo Sonic. Also remember, the Sonic is a Korean product from (what once was) Daewoo. They were garbage when they were Aveo's and they're garbage now. Friend of mine just had the HG done on her '1t Sonic 1.4t at 21k miles and it's had nothing but warning lights on since the day she bought it.

Ok. I have to call bull on this. The Sonic is NOT a Korean product. Your Daddy's Accent needed sway bar links and It's only 3 yrs old?. If that was a domestic branded car then that would be unacceptable. Since its a Hyundai.....well it's ok. Your friend has a Sonic that had warning lights on since she bought it.......I call bull. How were both cars treated? Surely not the same. I will wager a big big guess and say that your female friend abused and neglected the Sonic. Given that the story is true, which I doubt. The anti domestic bias is on full display.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back