What to expect: PepBoys Gen. Service Tech?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So it looks like I may be moving on from my cubicle data entry job on into the automotive field. I have a chance to work at a PepBoys in a tire tech/GST role.

I've been doing all my own maintenance and have learned a thing or two over the last 11 years or so on my own; no formal education or ASE certification though.

My base pay will change drastically, almost half of what I currently make; however I've been told that the commission pay and overtime is what makes the bucks.

I've been anxious to venture into something new, and if PepBoys pays for my ASE certification, that's a learning experience and a benefit I can use down the road.

Any advice, insight, etc?

Last edited:
I know a couple of pb employees. They really have to hussle to make ends meet on top of the free tire rotations and free brake checks. If you dont work fast enough they will move you to a store so far away that you quit.

Autozone has a ASE program, I would check on that. I much rather be a counter person than say, running around a service bay in the heat of summer.... Unless you need to get into shape, tire shops will toughen you up!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I know a couple of pb employees. They really have to hussle to make ends meet on top of the free tire rotations and free brake checks. If you dont work fast enough they will move you to a store so far away that you quit.

Are you saying that they don't pay the techs for tire rotations? There's a word in the dictionary for that. It's "slavery".
crazy2.gif

Advice?
Work hard, have a great attitude, have desire to constantly learn new skills and always do your best.

This advice goes for any career field.

Didn't you say you were joining the military, or was that another person?

Run! IMO, this is one of the worst companies to work for, especially if the base pay is half of what you're making now! I didn't think ASE certifications were still a thing.

Originally Posted By: Ethan1
Originally Posted By: Chris142

Are you saying that they don't pay the techs for tire rotations? There's a word in the dictionary for that. It's "slavery".
crazy2.gif

In the automotive industry they've changed that word from slavery to flat rate pay scale.

Silly accusations are not helpful. (Besides, flat rate haters can never propose another system that would be logical or fair.)

If these techs are being told that they have to rotate tires and they won't be paid, that doesn't seem like it would be legal in most states.

I believe that the ASE test only costs about $50.00 You may have to get some study materials first. I believe that you can take practice ASE tests on their website also.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Advice?
Work hard, have a great attitude, have desire to constantly learn new skills and always do your best.

This advice goes for any career field.

Didn't you say you were joining the military, or was that another person?

Well, when I turned in my paperwork, the recruiter didn't like the medical history of my knee(s) so he stopped working with me. I'm not quite sure what to do next, so I've since signed up with a gym and have been working out my legs more in hopes of getting an orthopedic doc to give me a go ahead for high impact training. I certainly feel I can do what's asked of me, but I also can't deny that I'm 30 with a knee surgery, however minor it was.

I actually had hoped to be in BMT by now...
frown.gif

these comments aren't too encouraging for PepBoys! Eek...

Originally Posted By: dishdude
Run! IMO, this is one of the worst companies to work for, especially if the base pay is half of what you're making now! I didn't think ASE certifications were still a thing.

Why do you say they are one of the worst to work for?

You can still join the ANG or AF Reserve, BMT is not difficult and they have some great career fields / jobs that you can use in the civilian world to get a good paying job.

Just jog 2 miles a day and build up strength and endurance for daily PT.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
You can still join the ANG or AF Reserve, BMT is not difficult and they have some great career fields / jobs that you can use in the civilian world to get a good paying job.

Just jog 2 miles a day and build up strength and endurance for daily PT.

I can do that right now! I was 2 lbs over when I first met the recruiter; so I lost 15 lbs just to show them I wanted to do this. I have a collections on my report; got a payment plan setup the week of just to show that I was serious.

finally get ALL my paperwork together, and the medical history leads him to flat out telling me no, can't work with ya.

I've been advised to go see another recruiter, but also been warned of "recruiting poaching" which may not end up well.

Ok the pay to do tire repair etc is very low. They charge $12 to do a vehicle inspection for Lyft. They check the brakes,belts etc. If done correctly that job takes 1/2 hour. The tech gets 20% of that $12

It seems to me that your current job pays twice as much as a tire tech, AND you get to sit inside in the AC? What the heck??!!

I would never do this job again, but the Dept of Corrections in most states WILL hire you (they need warm bodies to sit in chairs, nothing more), pay for your training and give you a salary of $35k to $60k depending on which state you live in. They hired me at 19... My interview consisted of the warden asking me if I could shoot a gun, and if need be aim that gun at an escaping inmate. "Um, yeah sure I guess, if that's legal," I said. Warden shook my hand and said, "You are hired."

A 13 second interview, and I was hired. At the time I was almost homeless, so it was a great opportunity.

You gotta do what you gotta do. Hopefully you wont regret it, like I think you will. If you take it, use PB as a stepping stone and move forward/upward as soon as possible. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Dumc87,

How'd you get the chance to work at Pep Boys ?

I guess you could say a family hook up? Don't want to divulge too much, I just know one of the important people that work at this shop.

Originally Posted By: HM12460
You gotta do what you gotta do. Hopefully you wont regret it, like I think you will. If you take it, use PB as a stepping stone and move forward/upward as soon as possible. Good luck!

I'm already expressing my concern with the pay. There's more to my current job than I am willing to talk about here, but long story short, what I do may no longer need doing, thanks to technology and consolidation. I've been where I'm at WAY too long anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back