Who Sells 90EP Gear Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the service manual it says EP GL-5 or MAG 1 by Lubriplate. Different than my owners manual, so either they changed the spec or the older units had different requirements.

Two Stage Snowthrower Drive Systems Manual

"Chapter 1 ó Auger Gearbox Service
The lubricant level in a gearbox should be checked
prior to each season.
AUGER GEARBOX LUBRICANT
Two different lubricants are used in the various models.
They are NOT interchangeable. Use the lubricant
specified in the model chart.
90 wt. indicates a 90-weight gear oil. A multi weight
such as 85-120 is acceptable as long as it
encompasses the 90 weight. The oil used must also
have an extreme pressure (EP) rating of GL5 or higher.
Fill until it runs out of the fill check plug.
DSC-0168
MAG 1 is a special low temperature grease made by
Lubriplateô. Use 1/3 tube of MAG 1 per gearbox.
Obtain from your area Lubriplate Distributor or from
your Toro parts supplier (Toro Part Number 505-101)
MVC-458
Should you see an oil leak, disassembly is required.
Lubriplate MAG 1 is thick so it will normally not leak out
even with a failed seal. The bearings used in all
applications are oil impregnated, so they do not require
regular maintenance. Internal gearbox repair will
require removal from the chassis."

Getting back to the original question about Viscosity and not finding a SAE 90, generically called 90 weight. Almost everyone has one. The SAE 90 range is very large. 80W-90 is the low end of single weight 90, and 85W-90 is the high end of the 90 range. So both are 90's.

Actually, for manual transmissions, many of us have switched over to multigrades (75W-90 replacing the 80W-90 with much better shifting.

I can't say what materials are in a snowblower. Never taken one apart. Our temperatures this week vary between 95º and 98º as we go through the first days of Spring. The term EP with gear oils starts with industrial oils that have 150-220 ppm of phosphorous in their sulfur/phos additive pack. GL-4 oils are generally around 250 to 300, where GL-5 is between 350 and 800 ppm (Amalie is at the bottom, Mobil at the top in those numbers).

The new generation of non- sulfur/phos additives are much better as they are polar and do not permanently adhere to anything, but I don't know of anyone using them in 80W-90, as that category is becoming obsolete in terms of equipment design.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Almost Everyone who dumped in here after my post above were talking about manual transmissions.

there are no synchros in a snowblower gear case.

If it calls for EP that is generally GL-5
GL-4 has antiwear additives but no extreme pressure additives.

Also a snowblower in the winter if you are using it for 3-4 hours at a time I would consider a
75w110 or 75w140. If you arent blowing 2ft of snow for hours at a time 75w90 would be fine.

So in summary EP and GL-5 are similar , EP and GL-4 would be a unicorn good luck.
My Ariens has a brass gear in the augur drive. For that reason I went with a lube specced for MTL.

Originally Posted By: widman
Getting back to the original question about Viscosity and not finding a SAE 90, generically called 90 weight. Almost everyone has one. The SAE 90 range is very large. 80W-90 is the low end of single weight 90, and 85W-90 is the high end of the 90 range. So both are 90's.

Actually, for manual transmissions, many of us have switched over to multigrades (75W-90 replacing the 80W-90 with much better shifting.

I can't say what materials are in a snowblower. Never taken one apart. Our temperatures this week vary between 95º and 98º as we go through the first days of Spring. The term EP with gear oils starts with industrial oils that have 150-220 ppm of phosphorous in their sulfur/phos additive pack. GL-4 oils are generally around 250 to 300, where GL-5 is between 350 and 800 ppm (Amalie is at the bottom, Mobil at the top in those numbers).

The new generation of non- sulfur/phos additives are much better as they are polar and do not permanently adhere to anything, but I don't know of anyone using them in 80W-90, as that category is becoming obsolete in terms of equipment design.

Thank you, Widman.

look for marine gear lube in sae 90 ep. I don't think the auger is picky, if you find a 80w90 or a 90 EP it will do well. However the gear or bearing parts may be yellow metal so I do think that is important in the spec and it will be shock loads so EP is good too. the actual weight can't be as important. I do know of snowblowers that run on grease in the augers probably due to un-sealed gear housings and that seem to work too. This is not an offshore high load gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back