Wasteful oil changes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: bigj_16
Another annoying trend is someone with 4 cars, two of which are Corvettes, one of which is a brand new Corvette, posting about wasteful oil changes. Since you can only drive one car at a time, having more than one is wasteful. Therefore, EVERY oil change you do on those THREE extra cars is wasteful.
If someone wants to change their oil every ten miles or every ten million miles, it's not mine or anyone else's business.

Jealous?

After all the bickering, Patman's point is still valid. So, he has a lot of vehicles? People collect vehicles. That's a hobby. Changing oil with zero miles on it is not a hobby, particularly when it's given as advice by some people and even some publications. The point of BITOG is to provide some sound information, and dumping six month old oil with zero miles on it is very rarely sound advice, assuming it's the correctly specified oil for the application in the first place.

If someone parks their Vette with ND30 in the fall, yes, dump it in the spring. If you put gear lube in the crankcase in the fall, yes, dump it. If you put a dexos1 5w-30 in your crankcase in the fall and then parked it for the season, you don't need to dump it in the spring.

I agree its probably "wasteful", but also agree with the point that doing anything on an unnecessary vehicle is wasteful. I have a car I don't drive much in the winter months, only drive it on nice days during those months. That thing is a waste coming and going. Insurance, maintenance, storage. I spend more on insurance for it in one month sitting than two oil changes. But its a toy so we accept the "waste" and excess that comes with it.

So yes, from an oil use and life perspective, its throwing away (probably recycling) a perfectly good $25 worth of oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HemiHawk

So yes, from an oil use and life perspective, its throwing away (probably recycling) a perfectly good $25 worth of oil.

With the new Corvette it's going to be a lot more than $25 worth of oil though, as mentioned earlier the new Vettes take 7 quarts of oil for the Stingray and 10 quarts for the Grand Sport and ZO6. That's an expensive amount of Mobil 1 to be wasting.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Hyundai and Mazda OCIs in Canada are 3750 miles or 6000 km

Here too.

That's the severe service recommendation. I can't speak for Mazda, but Hyundai/Kia's "normal" recommendation is every 7500 miles.

Originally Posted By: LeakySeals
The waste from 3k oil changes on a I4 Honda Civic pale in comparison to the monstrous carbon footprint of a gas guzzling Corvette with a 7qt sump (and its cow eating owner).. Just sayin..
blush.gif

A Corvette in daily driver use is actually pretty economical and would certainly better your Tahoe, opps I meant Escalade and would at least equal the Nissan.
I wonder what the carbon footprint of the electricity we all use 24/7 might be?
Could this dwarf what we put into the air on our daily travels?
I suspect that it might.
Anyway, if Patman wants to daily drive a Corvette, then good for him. A 'vette would not be my choice of daily driver, but then that's why we see a whole bunch of different vehicles on offer. I talked to a guy at Kroger the other day who daily drove a Z06 as he was loading his groceries into it. If that's what floats your boat, then why not?
If we're concerned about carbon spewed into the atmosphere, then we should be looking at all of those wannabes driving half ton pickups and old-school design SUVs and not someone who choses to drive a car that is more economical than either of the above.
Heck, by the standards of Euro or Asian liter cars, everything in my sig is a gross consumer of fuel and all are pretty low-cal cars. It's all a matter of perspective.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Anyway, if Patman wants to daily drive a Corvette, then good for him.

Nope, been there with my 98 Corvette and don't want to do that again. My 2018 will be used the same was as my 2005 has been used, simply as a fair weather car. It gets caught in the occasional rain, but for the most part it sees only sunny skies and dry roads.

Well, who am I to judge? Haunting this site and a couple of UOAs has convinced me that I should spend my "cheap insurance" dollars elsewhere.

There are alternative candidates besides obsessive oil changes aren't there? Based on personal experience I'd say it makes more sense to change the radiator hoses when your car hits 9 or 10 years--at least for those of us who reside in warm climates.

Instead of an extra oil change, I bought a float charger for the battery. Battery looks like it will clear 7 or even 8 years. That was cheap insurance was it not?

Is it really sensible to let the differential and the transmission go to 100K miles or more while obsessively changing the motor oil? Not to me. I have no idea whether my earlier changes of those fluids was any more helpful than an extra early oil change. At least its more plausible.

Realistically, it's cosmetic issues including rust that prematurely puts us out of our cars is it not? It's not what mechanical type people want to hear, but it's better to bear down on the waxing and vacuuming than do kid-glove mechanical maintenance.

Also, go to the coin op and squirt out the undercarriage with plain water in the winter. Or, if you live in a cold climate, get the undercarriage Krowned. It's cheap insurance, you know.

Originally Posted By: jimbrewer
Well, who am I to judge? Haunting this site and a couple of UOAs has convinced me that I should spend my "cheap insurance" dollars elsewhere.

There are alternative candidates besides obsessive oil changes aren't there? Based on personal experience I'd say it makes more sense to change the radiator hoses when your car hits 9 or 10 years--at least for those of us who reside in warm climates.

Instead of an extra oil change, I bought a float charger for the battery. Battery looks like it will clear 7 or even 8 years. That was cheap insurance was it not?

Is it really sensible to let the differential and the transmission go to 100K miles or more while obsessively changing the motor oil? Not to me. I have no idea whether my earlier changes of those fluids was any more helpful than an extra early oil change. At least its more plausible.

Realistically, it's cosmetic issues including rust that prematurely puts us out of our cars is it not? It's not what mechanical type people want to hear, but it's better to bear down on the waxing and vacuuming than do kid-glove mechanical maintenance.

Also, go to the coin op and squirt out the undercarriage with plain water in the winter. Or, if you live in a cold climate, get the undercarriage Krowned. It's cheap insurance, you know.
Your spot on right here. However, manufacturers have transmission and differential changes at 100k miles or more.

If anyone is feeling like they need some more cheap insurance, just send me some premium money. It doesn't have to be a lot (it is cheap you know) and I'll send a certificate of cheap insurance to you. Multi-policy discounts are available to dues paying BITOG members.

Originally Posted By: Garak
After all the bickering, Patman's point is still valid. So, he has a lot of vehicles? People collect vehicles. That's a hobby. Changing oil with zero miles on it is not a hobby, particularly when it's given as advice by some people and even some publications. .

100% wrong. Changing oil IS definitely a hobby to some. This forum has a number of them here. My retired neighbor across the street washes his little Nissan Altima every, single, day. Should I pass judgement on a grown man for wasting water?? NO, He pays for it, and I am NOT the boss of him. The day I start paying for HIS water, I will speak up. Until then, I MYOB. The OP should know his place, too.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Originally Posted By: fdcg27

Anyway, if Patman wants to daily drive a Corvette, then good for him.

Nope, been there with my 98 Corvette and don't want to do that again. My 2018 will be used the same was as my 2005 has been used, simply as a fair weather car. It gets caught in the occasional rain, but for the most part it sees only sunny skies and dry roads.

That's why I say my C5 (when I get it) will basically be the replacement vehicle for my now sold motorcycle. It will be stored during the winter (and will never be driven on roads with any salt on them), will be driven in the rain only when it can't be avoided, and will always be garage kept. It will be spotless inside, outside, and under the hood all the time. This will be a toy, but one I've lusted after since I was a kid...

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
After all the bickering, Patman's point is still valid. So, he has a lot of vehicles? People collect vehicles. That's a hobby. Changing oil with zero miles on it is not a hobby, particularly when it's given as advice by some people and even some publications. .

100% wrong. Changing oil IS definitely a hobby to some. This forum has a number of them here. My retired neighbor across the street washes his little Nissan Altima every, single, day. Should I pass judgement on a grown man for wasting water?? NO, He pays for it, and I am NOT the boss of him. The day I start paying for HIS water, I will speak up. Until then, I MYOB. The OP should know his place, too.

I wouldn't say anything to this guy about washing his car every day, but I would try to talk him into using a quick detailer instead of a hose and a bucket...it would be better for both the car and the environment...

I think it's a waste as well, but I also don't care what others do. We should be all thankful that we live in countries where we have the freedom to manage our affairs as we please, wasteful or not wasteful, it should not be anybody's concern if it doesn't directly affect them.

You could ask them where they take their oil to be recycled. If taken to a reputable place, you can rest in the fact that it will get cleaned up and used in someone's fleet.
21.gif

Originally Posted By: grampi

I wouldn't say anything to this guy about washing his car every day, but I would try to talk him into using a quick detailer instead of a hose and a bucket...it would be better for both the car and the environment...

Nope. The old guy kinda directly lets all the neighbors know he likes to be left alone. I respect that. As I was abundantly clear, its not my place to give him or anyone else UNSOLICITED advice.

100% wrong. Changing oil IS definitely a hobby to some.

Changing out totally fresh oil in a stored vehicle is strange, even by BITOG standards.
wink.gif

You are right. I think is strange, too. Not the point though.

I guess the first one among us who has ZERO habits or behaviors that could possibly be perceived as "strange" or "wasteful" might be able to judge others.

Who wants to go first?

100% wrong. Changing oil IS definitely a hobby to some.

Changing out totally fresh oil in a stored vehicle is strange, even by BITOG standards.
wink.gif

You are right. I think is strange, too. Not the point though.

I guess the first one among us who has ZERO habits or behaviors that could possibly be perceived as "strange" or "wasteful" might be able to judge others.

Who wants to go first?

People who visit BITOG on a regular basis to read and be interested in threads like this are ALL strange, starting with me.

After all the bickering, Patman's point is still valid. So, he has a lot of vehicles? People collect vehicles. That's a hobby. Changing oil with zero miles on it is not a hobby, particularly when it's given as advice by some people and even some publications. The point of BITOG is to provide some sound information, and dumping six month old oil with zero miles on it is very rarely sound advice, assuming it's the correctly specified oil for the application in the first place.

If someone parks their Vette with ND30 in the fall, yes, dump it in the spring. If you put gear lube in the crankcase in the fall, yes, dump it. If you put a dexos1 5w-30 in your crankcase in the fall and then parked it for the season, you don't need to dump it in the spring.

+1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back