0w30 or 5w30 for 0w20 specked car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How much different is the K24 in the Acuras that spec 5W30? Someone here had said it's a higher output version,but are the internals and construction the same basically?

2009 was the last year they spec'd 5W30. My 2010 calls for 5W20. It has had 5W30 in it most of its 185,000 miles.

They have a different cam, and higher compression as far as I know. Over 11:1 compression. Everything else is probably about the same.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
How much different is the K24 in the Acuras that spec 5W30? Someone here had said it's a higher output version,but are the internals and construction the same basically?

Recent K24 Acuras spec 0w-20, too.

Only because they are bound by CAFE spec's I would lay money these engines would live a longer life on 5W-30.

I really do appreciate the feedback although would like to mention that engine is designed to run multiple grade. Only US recommends to run 0w20. Rest of the world allows both 0w30 and 5w30

I have the itch to go thicker too. I'd thought about the slightly thicker pyb 5W20. I don't see any benefit to using a 0W oil where I live.

I’m still leaning towards Ams 5w30. Close to 20 grade viscosity, excellent Noack, strong base. The only downside is high ash %...still looks attractive though

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back