Dexos1 Gen2: Pennzoil Gold / GTX Magnatec

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
The Pennzoil Gold is the first Synthetic Blend labeled oil i've seen with the approval.

Originally Posted By: Virtus_Probi
Nice finds!
Only new Gen 2 oil I've seen at WM lately is M1 5W30 (no pics cuz my phone camera sucks!!!).

No biggie, your word is more than good enough.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
And Pennzoil Gold is still a complete enigma to the folks at PQIA...

I've echoed that sentiment many times.

Why buy the Pennzoil Gold semi - syn when you can buy the GTX Magnatec often for a lower price ?

Originally Posted By: ChrisD46
Why buy the Pennzoil Gold semi - syn when you can buy the GTX Magnatec often for a lower price ?

Yes $5 to $7 dollars a Jug in most cases. That boils down to do 4 OCI's and one of them is free!

Right now GTX Magnatec 5W20 is on rollback at WM for $15.90 for the 5quart jug.
smile.gif

Same specs. After that, it's a matter of choice since everything else is marketing. I'm sure both oils get the job done just fine.

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Right now GTX Magnatec 5W20 is on rollback at WM for $15.90 for the 5quart jug.
smile.gif

Not at the one near me. It was $20 per jug. ($19.88 to be exact)

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

Yes $5 to $7 dollars a Jug in most cases. That boils down to do 4 OCI's and one of them is free!

I've never seen GTX Magnatec for lower than Pennzoil Gold. The Castrol is typically $20/jug and the Pennzoil $18. Not a deal breaker either way since they meet the same approvals.

I dont understand the point the of the gold synthetic blend Pennzoil. Like someone else said, you can find a fully synthetic Dexos for about the same price or $2 more. The Quaker State full synthetic is $20 (Dexos gen 2 on the label at my Wal-Mart). As is the Castrol Magnatec. SuperTech synthetic is Dexos as well, for $17 a jug.

Yeah at my Wally World there's only Valvoline Synpower with gen 2 status. Funny because Castrol Magnatec sells really well at my store but most of the others are slower. And by a decent margin.
I do think the price point is too high for the synthetic blends. $18 does not make a whole lot of sense when there's Castrol Magnatec right there just under $20. One thing strange is how Valvoline Maxlife Synthetic blend Dexos approved obviously is hardly anymore than the VWB.... Now that is just very strange indeed.

Some folks may not want to give their money to BP after all the damage they did to the Gulf of Mexico a few years ago.

Sorry, yesterday the Wal Mart site had it listed at $15.90 for 5 quart jug of 5W20 only. Today its back to regular price. I should have checked before I posted my first comment.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: thorromig
Sorry, yesterday the Wal Mart site had it listed at $15.90 for 5 quart jug of 5W20 only. Today its back to regular price. I should have checked before I posted my first comment.
frown.gif

No worries thorromig.
10.gif

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
I dont understand the point the of the gold synthetic blend Pennzoil. Like someone else said, you can find a fully synthetic Dexos for about the same price or $2 more. The Quaker State full synthetic is $20 (Dexos gen 2 on the label at my Wal-Mart). As is the Castrol Magnatec. SuperTech synthetic is Dexos as well, for $17 a jug.

When the specs are the same and the price is this close, brand preference comes next for me. I really don't pay attention to "synthetic vs synthetic blend" monikers. If Pennzoil used a foil liner under cap, it would be all i buy. I'm slowly getting over that OCD issue though.
crazy.gif

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson

I've never seen GTX Magnatec for lower than Pennzoil Gold. The Castrol is typically $20/jug and the Pennzoil $18. Not a deal breaker either way since they meet the same approvals.

Pennzoil Gold is blend and GTX comes in full synthetic. It was $15.90 this morning before I left for the gym and its been $15.90 for a couple of weeks. You see this is why you stash oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back