Aftermarket Stereo options, 2001 Toyota Sequoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to be running into an unexpected issue in trying to find a decent double din aftermarket stereo for my sequoia. It's a limited model and twice now Crutchfield has sent me a stereo that, come to find out, doesn't work with my vehicle despite their websites "stereo finder" saying it will AND me calling them to make sure before they send it. Its the stock brackets that are the problem as there are no holes on these aftermarket stereos that line up, not even close.

So my options are to spend a [censored] ton more but am still unsure if that will work, or I've been told there are some plastic bracket adapters things but I've not searched it as I don't want o mess with a plastic bracket. I don't need a top of the line Alpine but don't want a $29 boss or pyle stereo either. Double Din would be nice as I think it looks better but it's not a deal breaker.

Anyone have any suggestions as to what website besides crutchfield I can use or know of any other way to proceed with this?

Totally random and I know this is an oil for but I always get good feedback and help here so this is my first stop. Thanks in advance for the help!

Aftermarket Sony double din in my Tundra (same dash as your Sequoia). There was a mounting kit that had to be bought separately, and it worked fine. The double din radio isn't as wide as the factory radio. That should be available from Crutchfield. No problems here.

Last edited:
It's the bracket; not the head unit. You need to mess with a plastic bracket.

Originally Posted By: drtyler
Aftermarket Sony double din in my Tundra (same dash as your Sequoia). There was a mounting kit that had to be bought separately, and it worked fine. The double din radio isn't as wide as the factory radio. That should be available from Crutchfield. No problems here.

I wonder if I would have the same issue with a single din? The main reason is the bluetooth as I would like to listen to stuff off my phone when driving, but I also like the idea of the touch screen. In your search did you come across if the width was an issue with the single din? I may be in the minority here but I've dealt with crutchfield 3 times in my adult life. All 3 were a mess even after I double checked with them so I don't shop their anymore. Having a dash apart and a stereo out only to find they sent me the wrong wiring harness or the stereo won't actually fit in my vehicle has forced me to write them off my list. Thanks for the quick reply!

Thank you for the video but the removal wasn't/isn't the issue. The stereo as evidenced by this video is quite easy to do, but the brackets that use the 4 bolts to hold the stereo in place don't or won't work on the aftermarket stereos. Thats what I'm trying to resolve.

Back when I would purchase aftermarket stereos I used to like Pioneer and Sonys. Got the job done. Question, what kind of speakers do you have?

Have you tried the radios they gave you? Do they work? For example my 06 Escalade. Trying to get a DD replacement with bluetooth for my phone is almost impossible. The radios "fit" but making them work with the speakers and other options in the vehicle require these 3rd party converters that just don't work.

I don't want to violate any forum rules (if there are any rules about referencing other forums) but the Tundra Solutions forum has a subforum for aftermarket radio installs in the Sequoias and Tundras, you might be able to get some good info there as far as what works and what doesnt.

The stock stereo in my 2001 still does and always has sounded great so I cant be of any real help.

Stock JBL system with amp. I don't plan to mess with any of that unless they die and need to be replaced.

The only fit kit I would use is a Metra, and even those will crack the moment it's overtightened. XLE/Limited and optioned LEs do have JBL sound and you'll need to get an interface to convert the aftermarket radio's unbalanced RCA outputs to balanced line-level input for the JBL amp.

Since Toyota does have fairly good radio interchangeability, there might be a stock unit out of an newer car with JBL sound that will plug in and fire up? I know the double-din gen 4/5 Sienna/RAV4/4Runner/Tundra/Sequoia/Lexus ES navigation radio will directly fit with JBL-equipped models, you will need the GPS antenna and Bluetooth mic, and the Scion units look like they will interface(if you don't have JBL sound).

If you're really up for it, there's plenty of newer Corolla touchscreen/Bluetooth radios as well as Prius C/Scion DDIN ones with built-in Bluetooth hands-free and streaming. The new Corolla one might need the Toyota Enform computer to work.

Last edited:
I've done a couple of installs in my 2006 over the years. the stock metal brackets work with both 2Din and 1Din units. Pull them off with the stock HU and move them over to the aftermarket HU. They mount to the dash with 2X 10mm bolts, and to the radio with... something smaller.

-m

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back