What Battery charger for this need?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: StevieC
2 channel dash cam in my vehicle. (Horrible drivers where I am, long story)

I have been wondering about buying a dashcam. Is it just so you can prove no fault if you are in an accident?

It has saved me from a couple of accidents where drivers claimed I was the at-fault party. This way I have a record to show the police/courts as needed. One in the front windshield and one in the back and if I'm at fault the Micro-SD card all of a sudden goes missing.
crackmeup2.gif

and if I'm at fault the Micro-SD card all of a sudden goes missing.
crackmeup2.gif

Hahaha... I was wondering about that.
smile.gif

If the camera draws 1A like you said, a 2A would be just right for keeping the camera running and the battery lightly topped off (assuming your charging system is working well and the battery is already full when you park). The specs on the website says it draws about 350mA with GPS and WiFI on ( https://www.blackvue.com/dr750s-2ch/#1459846779052-0ad7b49f-b495 )

However, I'd be a little concerned with your plan in the situations where you aren't parking at home. Like others have mentioned, your battery may not like the constant draw. The starting battery isn't really made for continuous, somewhat deep, discharges and you may find that your battery dies a little sooner. Your battery maintainer will definitely help a lot though. It would be interesting to see how often the camera shut itself off at the low voltage cutoff point.

If/when it dies though, if you have the space, it might be a great opportunity to replace it with a larger battery.

Maybe I will also add a deep cycle to the stow compartment under the feet of the second row of seats and an isolator so it charges with the battery charger / alternator but doesn't run down the vehicle battery when it's parked. That will allow me to catch the buggers spray painting vehicles in the neighbourhood at night and the person that hits me parked while shopping. LOL

The video is incredible fine detail at 1080P and 60FPS. It also is really good at night with almost no light.

For driveway recording I would use a 12 volt power supply rather than anything automatic.

Somthing like this set to 13.2v fopr a wet/flooded battery or 13.6 for an AGM:

https://www.amazon.com/BMOUO-Universal-R...dc+power+supply

These hold a pretty rock steady voltage. Automatic battery chargers/ trickle chargers/ maintainers might get confused with a constant 1 amp load from the camera and shut off thinking there is an issue with the battery.

As long as you do not set the voltage to 14.5+ and hook it to a depleted battery the above power supply should not approach its 30 amp rating, and the following connector can make hooking unit to battery easy:

https://www.amazon.com/CES-Gauge-Quick-D...s=12v+connector

The above powersupply is also a pretty good 30 amp manual charger with some caveats, as the internal fan is a POS and there is not really enough heatsinking or ventilation to hold 30 amps safely for as long as a big depleted battery might require.

This outfit uses better components inside thier powersupplies.
http://www.12voltpowersupplies.us/

I use a Meanwell rsp-500-15 as a 40 amp adjustable voltage charger, but have modified it with better heatsinking ventilation and 10 turn voltage adjustment potentiometer, and I can choose any voltage from 13.12 to 19.23v by twisting a dial and it has 40 amps available to seek and hold that desired voltage. Rated for 500 watts it can do 600, and with extra heatsinking and ventilation can do it 24/7.

No it's using the vehicle battery at the moment but it doesn't allow it to drop below 12v. I think with an automatic charger capable of keeping the battery topped up and the parasitic draw from the Dash Cam it should be ok.

12V is too low. That's going to kill your battery in very short order, even if you recharge every night.

If you're saying that you'll only ever use this feature when you can have it plugged in, then what you're after makes sense. If you're looking to let your battery die every single day and then recharge it afterward, then I would call that very ill-advised.

You said that you had some instances where you could prove you were not at-fault via the cam. Were any of these instances while you were parked? It happens, I know, but getting creamed while parked probably isn't very common. I've been dinged and dented, but I doubt a cam would help me in that regard, based on the orientation of my parking lot.

Stevie, I would suggest a battery maintainer like this guy:

Pro-Logix PL-2140 battery maintainer

I have it and used it on the Charger and M5 for when I stored them in the winter and now use it on my 4-wheeler. I wired it in directly, as it comes with a quick-disconnect right on the cord as well as three different connectors making it super easy to hook-up and then hook/unhook at will.

Maybe I will also add a deep cycle to the stow compartment under the feet of the second row of seats and an isolator so it charges with the battery charger / alternator but doesn't run down the vehicle battery when it's parked. That will allow me to catch the buggers spray painting vehicles in the neighbourhood at night and the person that hits me parked while shopping. LOL

Dang, that stinks. If at all feasible, I'd recommend some security cameras around your house too! There are decent WiFi models, but if you want to go all out, you can get a real permanent setup with an NVR and some IP cameras.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Stevie, I would suggest a battery maintainer like this guy:

Pro-Logix PL-2140 battery maintainer

I have it and used it on the Charger and M5 for when I stored them in the winter and now use it on my 4-wheeler. I wired it in directly, as it comes with a quick-disconnect right on the cord as well as three different connectors making it super easy to hook-up and then hook/unhook at will.

Thanks
thumbsup2.gif

A dash cam that kills a battery over night, seems strange. What's the current draw on that dash cam? I've got a Garmin that's very small in size, and the built in battery will run the camera for a couple of hours. So seems a huge car battery could last fine overnight.

It has been broken for months and I never got around to putting another card in it.

Last edited:
Put in the Noco Genius 3500 and it shows the battery state at 50% charged when it goes to do it's thing. This is after 1/2 hour of driving.

It's weird though because the voltage while the car is running is 14.2 for the first bit after it's started and then it backs off to 13.8 after about 20 minutes or so. Presumably because the battery is now charged to the ECM standard and/or the battery temperature sensor tells it to back off charging. (Located on the Positive battery terminal)

I also ran a load test on the battery with my dad's professional digital load tester and it passed and ran a load test on the alternator charging at idle / 1500 rpm and it passed.

I guess Chrysler just likes to run the batteries like this...
21.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back