Mobil 1 Filter Poor quality control premium price

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks. New to the forum. Wanted to give my input on the Mobil 1 oil filter. Not impressed at all. Little background. Purchased a 2010 Mercury mountaineer 4.0 one owner a year and a half ago. Mint SUV with 55,000 miles. Complete service records from date of purchase till trade in. Always went to dealer for everything. Service oil and filter every 3,000 miles faithfully. Used motor craft 5W-30 synthetic blend and motor craft filter. At 58,000 miles

i serviced it using Mobil 1 5W-30 EP and a Mobil 1 oil filter. After 2,000 miles it used 1 QT of oil but never used any oil with the motor craft 5W-30 synthetic blend. So i drained out the oil and went with quaker state ultimate durability 5W-30 full synthetic and another Mobil 1 filter. So far no oil loss on the quaker state. About a week later i cut opened the first Mobil 1 filter (wish i did this before putting another one on) The ADBV was torn,the case was rusted (this filter was not subject to winter only summer). Last two pictures show the Superior Fram ultra and the Inferior Mobil 1. The fram looks like it has a full skirted ADBV that wont move when put together. I swapped out the Mobil filter and installed the Fram. Will be going on a 7,000-8,000 trip soon from Vermont to California up to Oregon then back to Vermont. Will service then and cut open the Fram and post the results

If it bugs you enough, you could change out that filter before going on that long trip. I would if I had lost confidence in something.

M1 filters are pretty well respected here.

Some consumption is normal when switching oil brands.

However, there's not a snowball's chance in HE-double hockey sticks that the filter rusted like that in 2000 miles of summer use. I've run that filter in the rust belt, in the winter, and the can came off the truck (Expedition) looking as good as it did going on. In fact, I don't recall EVER seeing a rusted M1 can on here.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Some consumption is normal when switching oil brands.

However, there's not a snowball's chance in HE-double hockey sticks that the filter rusted like that in 2000 miles of summer use. I've run that filter in the rust belt, in the winter, and the can came off the truck (Expedition) looking as good as it did going on. In fact, I don't recall EVER seeing a rusted M1 can on here.

+1 Sounds like an unrealistic claim by the OP.

It looks like the filter was damaged on the outside. It appears to be dented. So either a damaged filter got installed or something hit it while driving. My guess is damaged filter got installed.

This post just does not feel right. No way that can rusted like that with just 2000 miles on it. And I am very suspicious of the ADBV "tear".

Even thin wall orange fram stand up better than this so I find it hard to believe this one is in this poor condition after 2K miles.

Originally Posted By: StevieC
Even thin wall orange fram stand up better than this so I find it hard to believe this one is in this poor condition after 2K miles.

...over the "dead-cold" of summer none-the-less.

Folks everything i stated is fact. Summer use only. Would not have installed a damaged filter. Even checked the filter at WM before I purchased .I think i would have noticed rust or damaged paint. 40 years self-employed in auto repair and machine shop (rebuilding cylinder heads). Retired now at 64. ADBV was damaged as shown. I have installed a Fram ultra for the trip. Yes in the dead of a wet summer and yes just over 2,000 miles. Thank you for the input.

In the first picture, the box is the new, 20,000 Mobil 1 filter, but, the label on the oil filter is the old Mobil 1 filter. I took the below picture to show the difference.

Not sure what happened with that filter. Our family has used the Mobil 1 oil filters here and there the last several years, with at least 5,000 miles to around 7,500-8,000 miles on them, summer AND winter conditions. We have NEVER had one look like that, the outside paint on them at the end when I took them off basically looked like when I installed, minus the dust and dirt on them.

What ever is happening with the OP's filter has not been our typical experience with the Mobil 1 filters.

Originally Posted By: chunt
This post just does not feel right. No way that can rusted like that with just 2000 miles on it. And I am very suspicious of the ADBV "tear".

Same here. The ADBV appears to have been sliced.

Originally Posted By: chunt

Looks more like it was cut. Never seen rust like that on any filter.

Serious a troll. First time posting on Bob is the oil guy and now I am a troll. Folks always seem to be open minded on this forum. Though I was giving some useful accurate info. I guess I purchased the only defective Mobil 1 filter ever made.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"The 'superior' Fram filter". I detect the odor of troll here.

Ya think?
01.gif

nvm that rust takes longer than a season to develop...

Last edited:
Could it be a counterfeit filter? You wouldn't believe how many big name products are counterfeited.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back