1979 Trans Am with 65 original miles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is kind of hard to believe..If nothing else, would not the gas in the fuel tank and lines get gummed up over that much time? And how did he get the original battery to keep taking a charge for 40 years? And what about the possible damage from even just starting a car with 40-year-old oil and a 40 year old filter?

It is a beautiful car, but so many things come to my mind that make me question if this is really true. How can an 18 year old keep from driving his brand new tricked-out Trans Am? It's an interesting story and a great car but I can't help but question it.

http://www.thedrive.com/sheetmetal/14988...miles-since-new

Does it come with a Gas Station?
grin2.gif
Nice car but man it wouldn't be cheap to run with that engine.

I didn't capture any language that indicates that the battery was original, fluids were never changed, etc.

The gas question is a good one. It does say it was idled and shifted now and again, so perhaps it got fresh fuel occasionally.

Beautiful car, you can see a modern battery in it and a new Hastings oil filter.

I'm sure the car was serviced over the years, they did they started it and towed it through the gears so no worries on original gas.

But not 100% Poncho...the 403 is an Oldsmobile engine; one of Pontiac's "better" ideas.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

How can an 18 year old keep from driving his brand new tricked-out Trans Am?

The fact that he ordered it from the factory with an auto trans is harder for me to understand.

Oh the memories....
I had that exact car.
Replaced the stock exhaust with headers and duel exhaust system and glass packs.
She would get about 20 mpg.
I have had that speedometer wrapped back around to the 0 mark.
It could take a corner...like wow.
All the fender "flare" had a purpose. Side ports kept pressure from builing under the hood. Spoilers pushed it down. Spoilers around the wheels helped with wind stability around the wheels.
Now the shaker hood was useless. The first TA's had a ram air in the shaker. Pressure would build at the base of the windshield and push air in from the rear.

Sold it before I killed myself or someone else.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Take a look at that radiator hose leaking. 65 miles my foot.

I don't see a leak. I see seepage of coolant typical of even an unused car, given materials of the day. And, the literature says the coolant was changed regularly, as part of the fluid exchanges. could have happened during a coolant change.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington
Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190

How can an 18 year old keep from driving his brand new tricked-out Trans Am?

The fact that he ordered it from the factory with an auto trans is harder for me to understand.

Never seen a 403 Olds have a 4 speed (T-10) behind it.

Is that compass on the windshield below the rear view mirror stock? Seems weird the guy would add that if he was really into keeping it factory stock.

The original buyer ended up passing away from cancer and never enjoyed driving the car. Think I'd rather use and enjoy it instead of just letting it sit regardless of how much it could be worth in the future.

I know someone that has a 79' Trans Am with the original Pontiac 400, 4 speed and rare factory rear disc brakes. He once owned one with an Olds 403 and says the Pontiac 400 is a better engine.

Originally Posted By: PFP
Originally Posted By: danez_yoda
Take a look at that radiator hose leaking. 65 miles my foot.

I don't see a leak. I see seepage of coolant typical of even an unused car, given materials of the day. And, the literature says the coolant was changed regularly, as part of the fluid exchanges. could have happened during a coolant change.

The hose clamp on the radiator end looks shiny and new. yet that green corrosion has grown pretty far. You would think if the engine was cared for all that time and only started and run and fluids changed they would at least take the time to clean any corrosion off this highly visible area. It looks like the clamp is new.

Originally Posted By: maxdustington

Some people would rather not shift. It was still a quick car with the auto tranny.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Is that compass on the windshield below the rear view mirror stock? Seems weird the guy would add that if he was really into keeping it factory stock.

It has “GM” on it. But I don’t see it listed in the options list. (dealer maybe?)

Those awful body side moldings are listed though.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
The original buyer ended up passing away from cancer and never enjoyed driving the car. Think I’d rather use and enjoy it instead of just letting it sit regardless of how much it could be worth in the future.

Maybe I am out to lunch but this car isn’t all that special to me, it is cool that it is a survivor and it is very nice but it is not like it is a 455SD or something. There are any number of things I’d rather spend 160,000 on, some of them even on the same website with this one.

I think it was purchased with the idea of putting up, if I’m reading correctly the owner bought it at 18 and was in his early 40’s when he died.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back