ez30r oil change suggestion on used JDM motor

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am getting a JDM Subaru ez30r flat 6 engine installed in my Subaru Tribeca that is supposed to have 48k miles. Even if it does have low miles, I hear that life on a JDM engine is much tougher because the Japanese know they have to toss their engines anyways due to regulations so they don't maintain their engines.

I used Castrol Edge 10w-40 HM to reduce the consumption in the old engine a USDM ez30r (bad head gaskets plus bad rings/valve stem seals/valve seals etc.) and it would burn a quart every 1500 miles as opposed to a quart every 800 miles with Rotella 5w-40 T6.

What might a good plan/oil be this time around? I figure that I should just let the shop change the oil the first time and use that as a flush and then go with ???

Thanks

Last edited:
FWIW, Subaru Japan does allow up to 5W40 in the H6. Not sure if the driving conditions are all that different though. Sticking with one oil for several intervals seems to have a bigger impact on my consumption than brand or viscosity has had.

Having had to deal with JDM's for 30 years here, you just never know what you are going to get. They always look in better condition than a same year and mileage NZ new car, but they are either fastidiously maintained, or as you say, the car is going to be off the road in 7 years, so they do nothing. In the early days we got anything going, these days we have buyers over there picking good from bad, so most stuff we get is very good.

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
See what it does with the shop fill and adjust accordingly

This shop didn't tell me what they did. Their English wasn't the greatest.

They did say to change the oil out at 1000k miles, so they have a clue IMO.

Originally Posted By: bluesubie
FWIW, Subaru Japan does allow up to 5W40 in the H6. Not sure if the driving conditions are all that different though. Sticking with one oil for several intervals seems to have a bigger impact on my consumption than brand or viscosity has had.

That is true. I wonder if I might consider the RT6 I have laying around here. Fuel economy is pretty bad as is....21-22mpg if you are careful tops.

Since this thing is a family vehicle, I think that I'll sacrifice fuel economy for better engine protection when warm.

Any harm in using a HM oil for a cycle or two if there aren't any leaks?

Originally Posted By: Silk
Having had to deal with JDM's for 30 years here, you just never know what you are going to get. They always look in better condition than a same year and mileage NZ new car, but they are either fastidiously maintained, or as you say, the car is going to be off the road in 7 years, so they do nothing. In the early days we got anything going, these days we have buyers over there picking good from bad, so most stuff we get is very good.

Some encouragement at least. Lucked out and got a good engine or so it seems.

I've bought one JDM take-out.
It had around 30K and a nice compression check and came with a new timing belt to install.
It was also incredibly dirty inside.
A few short drains got rid of most of the visible crud and the engine went on to lead a long and happy life.
My impression is that many JDM engines have been subjected to extreme short trip urban traffic along with longer than desirable drain intervals.
In a land where motor oil is very costly and where vehicle lives are artificially short, OCIs seem to get extended beyond anything prudent.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
I've bought one JDM take-out.
It had around 30K and a nice compression check and came with a new timing belt to install.
It was also incredibly dirty inside.
A few short drains got rid of most of the visible crud and the engine went on to lead a long and happy life.
My impression is that many JDM engines have been subjected to extreme short trip urban traffic along with longer than desirable drain intervals.
In a land where motor oil is very costly and where vehicle lives are artificially short, OCIs seem to get extended beyond anything prudent.

Really interesting. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back