How many here keep maintenance logs and how?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Little "Black book" kept in the glove compartment of all vehicles I own.........35 years and it NEVER let me down!!!

"I'm and Analog Guy in a Digital World."

Last edited:
Back in the day I kept a fancy log book, like it would make a difference, LOL

Now I just jot down date, mileage and work done on swiped bank envelopes and stack 'em
in a box. I have gone thru them to back track a repair, etc, once in a while.

However, I printed off a chart on card-stock in landscape (sideways) to track
long term items like, the last time I did: - and the change intervals I chose
- bleed brakes
- lube tie rod ends
- change tranny filter
- scan for hidden OBDII codes
- replace spark plugs
- change coolant....etc.

So I use this single chart as a quick visual reference/ reminder for next service that is needed
over several years, etc, without forgetting. 1 card per car.

Back in the day I also made up job sheets for certain repairs where I had found tricks and trick tools
I might forget if not written down. After all, I had a lot of "stuff" to fix!

Probably why I did 5k OCI’s for many years before moving up a bit ... course Tig’s 10k would be easy too ... but OLM’s have not let me pass 8k so far. Think the Delvac 1 I just bought needs to run 10k in the GMC ... got several XG10575’s on the shelf

Originally Posted By: ZZman
I am amazed at all the people that constantly and faithfully log gas and mpg.

I just use a spreadsheet to log expenses, and one sheet does the fuel for tax purposes. It's easy to toss fuel consumption on there as another column.

For OCIs and repairs, I just put that in a little notebook. I don't need to log tire rotations on the spreadsheet, but I want that in the book. My accountant doesn't care about me rotating my own tires, but he does want to know what an air filter costs.

In the notes section of the owners manuals I will do date, mileage, repair, oil type/weight and filter make/model.

Spreadsheet for quick reference, like refueling entries and checking "last time I changed...?"

Everything else in a FileMaker Pro database I created for the purpose, including task/time/parts/costs/notes.

Paper file for each vehicle's receipts, for reference, and just because I still like paper records as well.

Little tablet I keep in the glove box. I write down the date & mileage of whatever service im performing or having performed. I do it that day so as not to forget also. Anything & everything from wiper blades to wax jobs, tire rotations etc.....!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back