Castrol HM 10W-40, 4.8K, 2006 Infinit M35X, 162K

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is the latest oil analysis for my 162K mile Infiniti M35X. This is the first report with the Castrol High Mileage 10W-40 (previous reports were Valvoline MaxLife 5W-30), and I think I like the results. Even though the OCI was a little shorter than last time, the key wear metals look a little better, and I did not lose as much oil on this run.

For reference, no major work done on the engine during this time and 80+% of the miles are highway.

Further comments/observations are always welcome.

Where did all the boron go? My VOA showed 370 ppm of boron.
shocked2.gif

May be the difference in formulas for GTX vs Edge.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: drtyler
May be the difference in formulas for GTX vs Edge.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
shocked2.gif

Doh! You're right. I assumed OP was using Edge. My bad.

is this Edge or GTX HM? If GTX I thought it didn't have any moly or boron in it. Thought only the Castrol Edge line did. I guess I've been looking at only older UOA with GTX HM. Thought it had the sodium add pack.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Great iron reading. That's the first thing I look at. Prob go 5-5.5k on that run.

Yes. I love your conservative approach. Its much more in line with reality than I'd go 50K on your next OCI.

I will be doing a UOA on 10w30 in a couple of months on my S10. I'll post it here. But from all the UOA's I could find in the past. Castrol GTX HM didn't have any Moly/Boron in it & was using a Sodium based add pack similar to how Maxlife is now after valvoline removed Moly/Boron. I did see where it had Boron at one time on the Petroleum institute website but it's older as well. I wonder if Castrol/BP changed GTX HM up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back