10W60: Motul 7100 vs Spectro Platinum 4 ??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, it's first oil change time for the new Moto Guzzi. In the owner manual, Guzzi pimps ENI (AGIP) 10W60 4T "Race." but admits oils meeting JASO MA or MA2, API SG are approved as well. Engine is air cooled twin with oil cooled heads.

This bike does not share engine oil with the gear box, there are three different holes to put oil in: Engine crankcase (10W60), transmission gearbox (80W90 GL4), final drive unit (85W90 GL5).

After seeing a bottle of the ENI/AGIP 10W60 it says "synthetic technology" which is Euro-speak for "Group III base oil."

Spectro still claims their platinum 4 products are a true blue PAO/Ester blend. The Motul 7100 label says ester and "100 Synthese" which is Euro for genuine synthetic, in this case Group V.

What do you think? Planning to run a 6250 mile OCI which is the service interval in the manual.

P.S. For the trans and final drive, going to use any old gear oil that meets the specs.

"100 Synthese" in this case isn't Euro for genuine synthetic. In this case it is Motul-ese for "hey look it says synth on the label!"

Motul 7100 10W-60 SDS

A minimum of 50% mineral oil according to Motul. It does have group V in it as you mentioned, but hardly 100% or even a majority of the base oil is group V.

Thanks for that info it tends to explain a couple poor reviews I just read on the 7100, both saying it didn't maintain viscosity well at all.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Thanks for that info it tends to explain a couple poor reviews I just read on the 7100, both saying it didn't maintain viscosity well at all.

Why would the base stock influence the resistance to viscosity change? Surely you couldn't shear the base molecules whether they were short-chain hydrocarbons or PAO.

That's strange, I have a jug of 7100 10W-40 from three years ago that says '100% Synthetic' on the front, matching the photos on their Web site. No word 'Synthese' anywhere. Motul 5100 does have something they call 'Technosynthese', though.

But if the 10W-60 7100 SDS (from 2012) that MotoTribologist posted is correct, how can an oil composed of at least 50% mineral oil be 100% synthetic?
crazy.gif

I downloaded the SDS for 10W-40 7100 (dating from 2016) and Section 3 is blank. Under '3.2 Mixtures' it just says 'No substances fulfil the criteria set forth in annexe II section A of the REACH regulation (EC) n° 1907/2006.'

Tried downloading the latest SDS for 10W-60 - File Not Found. 20W-50 - Same as 10W-40, Section 3 is blank.

So, no way of knowing how much mineral oil is in 7100 now.

For kicks, check out the SDS for 'Technosynthese' 5100 10W-30. It's 10-25% mineral oil. Making it more synthetic than the >50% mineral oil 100% Synthetic 7100 10W-60!
lol.gif

My own experience with Motul 7100 was that it didn't really impress, considering the price. Gear shifting started going downhill approaching the 3000 mile mark. But your Moto Guzzi doesn't have a shared sump so it's probably easier on the oil with regards to mechanical shearing.

How hot does the bike run? Maybe going down to a 50 viscosity grade will open up more options, if that's allowed by the manual (if you care).

Originally Posted By: jeff78
My own experience with Motul 7100 was that it didn't really impress, considering the price. Gear shifting started going downhill approaching the 3000 mile mark.

I'd say my findings are similar to yours. I used 7100 10w40(because I can't seem to find 15w50) in my 1200 Monster, and I don't think I'll be going back to it for my next OC. I used 5100 15w50 in my Triumph 1050, and I may try that in the Monster. I used 300V 15w50 in my older 750 SS, and have had good results with that oil so far, but that's a similar price as the 7100.

I now have a Multistrada with the DVT, and it requires a JASO MA2 oil, so the 5100 isn't an option. I can get Shell advance locally, so may run that next OC.

Okay, it's first oil change time for the new Moto Guzzi. In the owner manual, Guzzi pimps ENI (AGIP) 10W60 4T "Race." but admits oils meeting JASO MA or MA2, API SG are approved as well. Engine is air cooled twin with oil cooled heads.

This bike does not share engine oil with the gear box, there are three different holes to put oil in: Engine crankcase (10W60), transmission gearbox (80W90 GL4), final drive unit (85W90 GL5).

Isn't it dry clutch? Why would they recommend Jaso MA or MA2 oil? I'd be inclined to put a good value 10W60 car oil in it if it seems to work ok here in UOAs or on the Guzzi forums. That's what I do on my air/oil-cooled BMW (dry clutch, 3 holes for different oils, but 15W50 in my case).

10w60 is a huge spread and requires a lot of vii.
now, since its all motor and no tranny it doesnt have gears to chew it up.
so why the need for a 60wt?
you ever seen sae60 pour? its honey. thick honey!
and yes why does it need ma2 if dry sump?
you could run castrol edge or castrol tws or redline or amsoil or mobil 1 or pennsoil platinum just to name 6 that isnt the 2 you've mentioned.
granted a 20w50 isnt a 10w60 but again does it really need 60wt?
maybe consider 20w50 VR1

Well, I chickened out. Bought the Moto Guzzi recommended sh!t off eBay, ENI i-ride 10W60, because since I'm doing the oil changes myself I want the peace of mind of being able to show receipts (and oil change photos...) of bottles of the juice they pimp in the manual. But the 6-speed box and final drive I'm grabbing some popular brand 85W90 GL4 and 80W90 GL5 from Walmart, Pep Boys, or wherever.

Sigh ... Caved on the gear fluids too. Having invoices for their recommended fluids = insurance in event of a warranty claim down the line. That's the only reason.

Sigh ... Caved on the gear fluids too. Having invoices for their recommended fluids = insurance in event of a warranty claim down the line. That's the only reason.

Haha, your last two posts cracked me up! It's all good Loneranger, you can always swap out to other lubes once your warranty expires; as you said, at least you have the peace of mind that the manufacturer can't say you weren't running their recommended brand and viscosity. I was able to sit on your model of moto and thought it was really comfortable with unique styling, have a blast on it!

good call!

just got a case of Spectro Platinum 15-50 for $13 a L del, i like that viscosity + use in my 3 bikes, meets the 2016 BMW spec only bike with a warranty, 2012 bonneville + 2013 Victory is "happy with it!! first time with the Spectro + it goes in soon @ end of riding season in PA, yearly changes!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back