2009 Ford Focus, strange oil readings on dipstick?

Thanks gang.

I couldn't think of any reason for it to vary but there are some good theories here. Appreciate the feedback from other owners as well. I guess I will continue to go by the wiped/stick reading and not worry about it.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
The first cold reading is correct. Oil migrates up the tube when you pull the stick so the second pull may show some of the tube oil and appear to be more full than the 1st pull.

If oil migrates up the tube when you pull the stick out, that means the oil level is higher outside the tube than it is inside the tube.

Just sayin' that the oil is smeared up the tube when you pull the stick out...That's all I'm sayin'.

Originally Posted By: FZ1
The first cold reading is correct. Oil migrates up the tube when you pull the stick so the second pull may show some of the tube oil and appear to be more full than the 1st pull.

Not on these engines. In order to get mine to read full on the first pull, it had 3 extra quarts of oil. I'm lucky I didn't have any issues with the engine being so overfull.

Hi.....I have a 2007 Ford Focus 2.0L here in Australia.....so the following measurements are metric. I completed an oil filter & oil change. I purchased a 5 Litre container of oil with measurement gauge on the side of the container. All of the auto websites recommended 4 litres of oil to fill. So I put the 4 litres of oil in - then looked at the dipstick measurement 4 separate times over 12 hours (engine cold & again after engine running) & it read just over minimum every time. Finally I checked the Ford Manual & Systems booklet which said the recommended oil quantity should be 4.3 litres including the oil filter. So I measured out 300ml of additional in & left it 5 minutes. Hey presto - the dipstick read just on full. So I'll be doing my in between service top ups in small amounts from now on.

Back