Ford V10 slight miss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
Originally Posted By: pkunk
I ordered the Forscan app and the matching Forescan bluetooth ELM327 OBDII devise. I believe my '99 F53 has OBDII as it works perfectly with my scangage.

Yeah it will because its using the same PCM and software as a OBDII PCM but they have some things turned off like cat monitoring which is required for OBDII so its "OBDI"

So, will this work? I downloaded the ForScan app and bought this so I could use my iPhone. I don't have a Windows computer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VLQHMK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Yeah because of apples need to certify all the bluetooth things that connect to their phone, you have to use a wifi OBDII adapter.
And yeah, the app will still work once you get that sorted. Though Im not sure that the app can access mode 6; its not as full featured as the computer version.

Last edited:
water in gas? (try some HEET or other fuel aid)

bad coil? (more obvious under load at lower RPMs)

Originally Posted By: meep
water in gas? (try some HEET or other fuel aid)

bad coil? (more obvious under load at lower RPMs)

What, we don't get enough alcohol in our gas? How much of that s**t would I need for a 75 gal tank? I'll wait on the diagnosis before I throw parts at it.

^^^ just basing that possibility on the original post: "About a month ago I traveled some miles in a real downpour and all was well until the last few miles."

"I'll wait on a real diagnosis"

Then why are you asking a forum that can't see or touch your truck?

If it's not throwing a code you can track, you're going to have to start swapping/testing/inspecting hands-on.

Last edited:
I'd edit but it's timed out----

I probably reacted a little defensively---

for a minor miss, I'd do the same thing as you-- I'd wait it out and see what it became as it got bigger. Advice here just serves to give you ideas for where to look.

-m

OK, here's the latest. Finally got the Forscan OBDII dongle and tried to connect. Not happening. Put Windoz on my Mac and downloaded the Forscan software thinking maybe the IOS app wasn't compatable. Still no connect. Got on my back and wiggled under the dash so I could see the OBD port and it only has 6 pins on the long side and 4 on the short where in my cars they have the full complement of 8 & 8. So, I'm now assuming that the '99 F53 still only has OBDI and these apps won't work. Are there any work arounds?
Originally Posted By: Colt45ws
I ordered the Forscan app and the matching Forescan bluetooth ELM327 OBDII devise. I believe my '99 F53 has OBDII as it works perfectly with my scangage.

Yeah it will because its using the same PCM and software as a OBDII PCM but they have some things turned off like cat monitoring which is required for OBDII so its "OBDI"

So, will this work? I downloaded the ForScan app and bought this so I could use my iPhone. I don't have a Windows computer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073VLQHMK/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I discovered this searching the web. What would work to read codes that my Scangage won't do?
"1999 Ford F53 V10 (OBDI specs) which is addressed via a standard OBDII connector "
"Ford uses some advanced diagnostics that they call "mode 6" internally to count misfires and these misfire counts won't show on most diagnostic programs as it's a Ford-only thing..."

Last edited:
I found more. So I do have OBDII on my '99 V-10. Why won't the Forscan [censored] link up? I've tried the IOS apps Forscanlite (from their website), Autodoctor, and am using the Ford FORSCAN ELM327 dongle. I've also tried their Beta software for Windoz.

The F53 was OBD-I through 1997. There was not a 1998 F53 so the 1997 F53 was used for some the 1998 Motorhomes and the 1999 F53 was used for some of the later 1998 Motorhomes. So a 1998 MH could be OBD-I or II depending on the engine. If it was a V-10 1999 it was an OBD-II, if it was a 460 1997 it was OBD-I.
In short if it was a 460 F53 it was OBD-I.
The same thing also applied to the larger F-series trucks.
No 1995 F-series truck or E-series van was OBD-II in 1995.
They did not have to comply with OBD-II protocols for the larger Ford trucks through 1997

Check for water draining down below the coil packs on the aft cylinders. Its a know problem on modular Ford engines.

Do a compression test on all cylinders. I have seen these engines with a bent connecting rod have a miss due to low compression in one cylinder.

More info obtained. Pins on F53 are good for ISO, VPW, PMW but dongle won't connect to app. Conclusion is dongle must be defective. Tried it in my MB and would connect there either. Search for compatable dongle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back