Diesel truck; short tripping vs leaving it parked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Boczech

If you change your mind in selling just keep me posted ok.

Will do.

Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: ArcticDriver
Originally Posted By: philipp10
wow....talk about a bunch of worry warts......

To be expected from someone in the rust belt where salt is used on winter roads.

The average truck is a rust bucket by 10 years of age so the concept of attempting to extend engine life would be foreign.
grin.gif

point taken. But as the OP stated...he puts on a whopping 1800 miles a year. Do we really have to worry about engine wear?

I will be honest when I say I do not know.

I would only guess that since most engine wear occurs at start-up and on a cold engine that the more starts he has in that 1800 annual mileage the more wear he will have...but I don't know how to quantify it.

I do know one thing...it used to break my heart to live south of a Duluth and watch my vehicles rust before my eyes. I used to actually lose sleep and was reminded of the Niel Young tune, "Rust Never Sleeps". I finally moved back home to CO just to stop the rust. Well I actually traded those vehicles for some that had never left CO.
grin.gif

Well I started driving in the 70's, back then rust would appear within 7 years. But now days, most cars can get to age 15 before its an issue. At 15 years, I don't mind getting rid of them....technology changes. I like to buy my cars 4 years old and the next one might come from the salt free belt. I have a retired friend who likes to travel. He will pick it up.

I like your truck. Great find. I just got a 93 gasser with 83K in about the same shape. Gotta love garage queens (previous owners) and anal compulsive types
smile.gif

I'd let it sit unless I was going at least 10 miles. Not doing any good going 2 miles ...

They're famous for building up carbon in the heads if they are short tripped a lot. Don't make a habit of it and you'll be fine. Diesels like being ran up to operating temperature on a regular basis to keep everything running smoothly.

My rule of thumb for a diesel is to not drive it unless I can get it up to full operating temp. Although not always practical, I really try to stick to it. I am lucky to get 5k a year on my truck these days so I at least take it out on the highway once a month. Like others have mentioned, burn off condensation and give the batteries a charge.

Let it sit and drive it for fun on weekends. I'm in the same situation
smile.gif
. Mint condition e39, I cringe too when I start it after a long sit
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back