Are doctors just overpaid mechanics?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BHopkins

I've never heard of a mechanic having to carry a malpractice policy.

Maybe that's something a few States Attorney Generals need to think about!

You guys have to learn to actually talk with your doctors. Call them out when you think they are wrong or aren't paying attention to certain details. Like anyone that works, doctors get fatigued and distracted too.. it's human.

Ultimately YOU know how your body works and what helps.. give your doctor that info and let them incorporate it into their diagnosis.

Originally Posted By: Reddy45
You guys have to learn to actually talk with your doctors. Call them out when you think they are wrong or aren't paying attention to certain details. Like anyone that works, doctors get fatigued and distracted too.. it's human.

Ultimately YOU know how your body works and what helps.. give your doctor that info and let them incorporate it into their diagnosis.

I told my doctor he was an idiot. lol

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Originally Posted By: Reddy45

I told my doctor he was an idiot. lol

Why hire anyone for anything then? Just do it all yourself and don't put up with anyone ever again.

We should all be humble enough to realize that there are indeed people in our lives who do know more than us about some things..

Originally Posted By: madRiver
Clearly as you are finding out not even close. Human body and the intricate reactions are intense to understand. Drs have to correlate so many more factors.

A car engine is dead simple in comparison.

This.....human body is way more complex than a vehicle. This is really a stupid topic. Mechanics are underpaid.....many Doctors are underpaid for their time as well.

Most in both professions are overpaid. They collect a fee and your car/body is worse for wear when they're through.

It's amazing how many highly insured people die of pneumonia after surgery or hospitalization. Amazing how many "educated professionals" think it's ok to hit the hand sanitizer instead of proper washing. Including under their nails where the MRSA lives. You'd think they'd have it figured out by now. But since you sign your life away to the surgeon just to get operated on why bother?

Nothing special about doctors. And their education is nowhere near as rigorous as that of an engineer. They make a good impression though to the uninitiated.

No mechanic or doctor regardless of skill level will keep your machine running as smoothly as not abusing it in the first place.

Mechanics vs nurses;

Doctors > engineers , as most engineers are NOT hands-on and NOt 'studying' as doctors do.

Hands up engineers on Bitog who disassemble and assemble machineries with his hands for a living and continually commit to 'book' study to pass 'professional' papers for career advancements , as doctors do ?

Last edited:
Surgery is physical labor. The surgeon who gave me a mastectomy wasn't very tall, but he had wide shoulders. Many physicians are account managers arranging and coordinating procedures conducted by nursing techs. My radiation oncologist gave me a 5 minute office talk midway through 33 hits of radiation. He was a jerk. My chemo oncologist was more hands on and quite gracious. I called her Lucretia Borgia.

Originally Posted By: DdDd
Nothing special about doctors. And their education is nowhere near as rigorous as that of an engineer.

I'm both a physician and an engineer and have post graduate qualifications in both. The training and requirements are completely different.

To be a good engineer you have to be quite clever and have a fairly good memory. When I started engineering school we were told that 1/4 would finish in 4 years and 1/2 would finish ever. A typical role is to define a problem, visualize a solution and calculate values (needed dimensions, time, conversion rate, temperature, etc) which are refined with a prototype. Every problem has a 5 cent solution, a 5 dollar solution and a 5 million dollar solution. And you have to know which one is appropriate in a given situation. Many engineers move into management as they move along in their career. A genius has to work reasonably hard to succeed in engineering. Not all engineers are geniuses so they have to work even harder.

To be a good doctor you need to have a phenomenal memory and be able to recognize patterns in the midst of much confusing information. When I started medical school we were told that all of us could graduate if we worked hard enough. A typical role is to distinguish between a dangerous condition and something pretty ordinary when both sound a lot alike. Most physicians continue to practice front-line medicine throughout their careers. Being a genius wouldn't help. Every physician has to put in long hours of study to learn what doctors need to know, and then put in even longer hours to get the experience to make them safe to practice.

When I started medicine we asked what text book to use. The answer was that there are lots of textbooks and they have different advantages and disadvantages. And we were expected to know what's in all of them. There is no "one" text book. In my medical graduate studies I typically read and made notes on 3 - 5 different text books on each topic of interest.

I was an engineer (albeit a Chemical Engineer) and my son is a doctor with our marvellous NHS. I stand in absolute awe of him! I may have earned considerably more money than he does but in terms of skill, intellect and dedication, there's just no contest.

To the OP, could I say this. A while back, my son was part of a crash team that tried to revive a toddler that had fallen into a neighbour's fish pond. Two hours they battled to bring him back from the brink but in the end, the little boy died, leaving behind two bereft parents. Afterwards, my son took himself off somewhere quiet and cried his eyes out. Now you tell me what's the equivalent job on a car does that to you?

I've lost countless tools in cars I've been working on, but very seldom does a customer come back and say ''Hey, you left this in my car!'' But doctors always get their customers coming back to return stuff they left behind on the job.

All they do is interpret imagery and lab test results for the patient.

If you really want to beat an ailment, you're better off talking to God.

Originally Posted By: Brybo86
IMO real doctors, meaning MD's, are in a class of their own.
Nothing really compares to good a Neurosurgeon or Cardio-vascular surgeon.

Don't get me started about the huge group of people whose feelings got hurt and so they created a "doctor" or PH D for every occupation under the sun...

Gimme a break

Yeah this irritates the [censored] out of real doctors vs someone who went to college until the sun burned out.

All I can say is if you have Pulmonary Fibrosis, Superior Vena Cava Syndrome, or Pancreatic Cancer, you're dead; no doctor in the world is going to save you. Ask me how I know.

Originally Posted By: SonofJoe
I was an engineer (albeit a Chemical Engineer) and my son is a doctor with our marvellous NHS. I stand in absolute awe of him! I may have earned considerably more money than he does but in terms of skill, intellect and dedication, there's just no contest.

To the OP, could I say this. A while back, my son was part of a crash team that tried to revive a toddler that had fallen into a neighbour's fish pond. Two hours they battled to bring him back from the brink but in the end, the little boy died, leaving behind two bereft parents. Afterwards, my son took himself off somewhere quiet and cried his eyes out. Now you tell me what's the equivalent job on a car does that to you?

That's a hard account to read. My condolences to the boys parents, and your son.

There's no question that generally, the Doctor is more important than the Mechanic.

A little side story: Years ago, a race team I'm currently consulting on, had a mechanical failure due to an error made by one of the Mechanics, and lack of sufficient oversight by his direct boss. A person was killed as a result. Those that made the ultimately fatal mistake, were well aware of their error, and there is no question it affected them deeply.

So, mistakes made by Mechanics can be life and death, too.

There would be a cure for all these deadly diseases if it wasn't for big pharma. They make all their money off of treatments. They don't want a cure because there's no money in cures.

After more than 100 years you'd think they would be able to make a car that didn't break down. I would be out of a job...can't come soon enough.

Originally Posted By: 02SE
Originally Posted By: SonofJoe

That's a hard account to read. My condolences to the boys parents, and your son.

There's no question that generally, the Doctor is more important than the Mechanic.

A little side story: Years ago, a race team I'm currently consulting on, had a mechanical failure due to an error made by one of the Mechanics, and lack of sufficient oversight by his direct boss. A person was killed as a result. Those that made the ultimately fatal mistake, were well aware of their error, and there is no question it affected them deeply.

So, mistakes made by Mechanics can be life and death, too.

Not all of my lad's stories are so sad. Some of his stories about how 'foreign objects' have to be removed from the errr...(ahem) exhaust manifold...are hilarious! What I didn't appreciate until he explained it to me, is that the said 'objects' often get 'wedged' such that they cannot be extracted via the route they entered, no matter how much 'Mobil 1' is applied. It becomes necessary to errr...(ahem)...cut through the crackcase wall to remove 'that which blocks normal exhaust flow'. He even had one 'engine' which showed the telltale weld signs of previous such repairs!

Oh, and in case you're wondering, such work is done free, gratis and for nothing under the NHS.

A doctor once told me this ; "That is why they call it the PRACTICE of medicine. "

This was in reference to a surgery redo. There are so many variables with a human body, it is not as simple as they make it look sometimes. In this case the tissue the surgeon stitched through was very poor and stitching was difficult. The original job was coming apart hence the return to surgery. This time the doctor brought his partner in for second opinion.

99.5% of all procedures come out positive. It's that half a percent we always hear about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back