Spirex S4 TXM in an Infiniti automatic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
My brother drained and filled an automatic transmission in a 1990 Infiniti Q45 with the above listed fluid because it is what he had free access to where he works. I currently have the car and want to know if it will cause any permanent damage to it. The factory fluid that the manual lists is Nissan Matic-D. It has had around 1000 miles put on the fluid before I got it.

Given the age, you'd have to think any Dex-III compatible fluid would be serviceable. But given that Shell state that:

Quote:
Spirex S4 is a Premium, SAE 10W-30 Multi-functional Tractor Transmission and Hydraulic oil.

your mileage may vary...

Regards
Jrodan

This TXM is thicker than Matic-D.
I would use it without worry in your ambients , even if your driving style doesn't require thicker MOFT as transmissions are expensive.

Spirex S4 TXM was the name that he got off of the container. My nephew had been driving it and said that he noticed the shifts were a bit hard but fine other than that. I just want to make sure it isn't going to cause any damage to the transmission. I will eventually change it when I can if it is okay to leave it for now.

Last edited:
So your saying that the thicker fluid will help the transmission in Florida temps? Should there be any friction modifiers like LubeGuard added to the oil to help with the clutches?

As an Universal Tractor Transmission Oil (UTTO) typically used on agricultural machineries of heavier duty than a passenger car like yours , TXM is a(n):
a) (automatic) transmission oil AND;
b) hydraulic oil (on hydraulic implements) AND
c) sometimes a gear oil (where Power Take Off unit is a component within) ........
hence it's superior performance in components protection, in particular under high temperature high torque/load conditions, over an Matic-D oil.

Do the Infiniti requires it ? No.But Infiniti may 'want' it.
Being thicker ,it's downside is possibly 'harder' shift and ....... $$$.

I'm no fan of LubeGuard, but undoubtedly it's a good product I 'believe'.
Would I add LG to a low spec'ed Matic-D/Dexron III ? Likely.
Would I add LG to a higher spec'ed UTTO oil ? Unlikely, maybe it's just me.

Last edited:
I'm no expert by any means with oil so I came here to get opinions from people who are experienced with the different oil types. I wanted to make sure it was okay for that oil to be used for now. I was told to use Lubeguard Red when using Dex/Merc in the Nissan transmissions because it doesn't have the additives in it that Matic-D has. That is why I asked about it in this case.

Thanks, Matt

There is some overlap between the now deprecated Dexron III standard and Allison C4(which Allison no longer specifies for road-going transmissions) which this Shell Spirax S4 meets for the latter, the ECU in the Infiniti might be trying to compensate for the thicker fluid.

I say drain it and use the proper Dex III rated fluid when you get a chance. You have hard shifts but no slippage, and the Q45's transmission was nowhere as controlled like the Lexus LS400. How long do you intend to keep the car or is it making a final stop to the junkyard? If it's the latter, it might be an interesting experiment to see how an tractor fluid works compared to ATF.

If it feels fine and not slipping, you should be OK. Since Nissan didn't require anything beyond Nissan-Matic D/Dexron IIE in that day and if makes you feel better, you can do a drain and fill with the cheapest Dex/Merc fluid you can find, SuperTech or house brand works fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back