ESPN replaces NBC for F1 in US

Status
Not open for further replies.
When Speed channel died, NBC was smart enough to hire the Diffey/Matchett/Hobbs/Buxton team to do F1, and I think they are fantastic. I hope ESPN does the same, but an organization on the downward spiral doesn't always make good decisions.

So what channel will they broadcast the coverage on?

espn8theocho.jpg

ESPN has been suffering huge viewership losses in the past year or two. That's not good for F1 if they want to expand their audience. In my area Fox Sports has been showing the races and qualifiers.

I'm not seeing this as any improvement in Formula 1 broadcasting at all. For either F1, or the fans. ESPN viewership has taken a huge hit, since they started getting so political. And people are getting sick of it. Not to mention, if they lose Steve Matchett and David Hobbs, they're through. Those 2 have forgotten more about F1, than the rest of the broadcasters at ESPN have ever known.

Originally Posted By: billt460
I'm not seeing this as any improvement in Formula 1 broadcasting at all. For either F1, or the fans. ESPN viewership has taken a huge hit, since they started getting so political. And people are getting sick of it. Not to mention, if they lose Steve Matchett and David Hobbs, they're through. Those 2 have forgotten more about F1, than the rest of the broadcasters at ESPN have ever known.

It's a little early to write them off isn't it? One positive was the press release stated they would broadcast all practice sessions, an improvement over the current P2 only format. As far as the announce team, I agree that Hobbs and Matchett are like an old pair of comfortable shoes. Whether they are even interested in continuing is an open question. Hobbs, in particular, has to be near his "use by" date as he is 78 and missing races due to poor health. As long as they do not attempt to recycle the disastrous Cheever/Goodyear pairing, I'll take a wait and see approach and give them a chance. Who says there's no room for improvement?

Is IndyCar heading the same direction?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Indydriver
It's a little early to write them off isn't it?

Perhaps. But I'm going by ESPN's past performance. I just don't see them hiring different broadcast people for this. It wasn't that long ago they had a huge layoff over there. I hope I'm wrong, but it all points to the same direction this network has been going for years now, in broadcasting other sports venues. Remember, they're owned by ABC Broadcasting. And aside from Indy in the 80's, they have never been much good at racing broadcasts.

We'll see what happens. I'm more interested in knowing why NBC no longer wants F1? It's obvious lack of dollars has something to do with it. I hope F1's price isn't getting cheaper every time they have to shop around, and go bouncing to another network. Because if that's the case, it will only be a matter of time before no one wants them.

One of F1's biggest problems in this country, are that most of the races are being broadcast live, in the middle of the night. It's mostly an entire DVR viewing base. And these networks aren't stupid. They know how little sponsors are willing to pay for air time at 2:00 AM. Not to mention how fast DVR viewers hit the Fast Forward button when a commercial pops up on their DVR broadcasts. That's one of the biggest reasons they went to, "Side By Side" split screen viewing during the commercials.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
When Speed channel died, NBC was smart enough to hire the Diffey/Matchett/Hobbs/Buxton team to do F1, and I think they are fantastic. I hope ESPN does the same...

I agree. I like these guys and always have, although Will Buxton took a while to grow on me.

... the press release stated they would broadcast all practice sessions, an improvement over the current P2 only format.

Can't say I agree, personally. Think of how much screen time NBC (and soon ESPN) will be giving a sport that is only marginally popular in the US to motorsports practice. Would you have any interest in watching an hours' worth of 'football'/soccer practice?

F1 practice is only good for two things: it gives the guys an hour to fill with the latest F1 drama and gossip, and the occasional big failure/crash. Beyond that, zzzzzzz...

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
Can't say I agree, personally. Think of how much screen time NBC (and soon ESPN) will be giving a sport that is only marginally popular in the US to motorsports practice. Would you have any interest in watching an hours' worth of 'football'/soccer practice?

F1 practice is only good for two things: it gives the guys an hour to fill with the latest F1 drama and gossip, and the occasional big failure/crash. Beyond that, zzzzzzz...

Agree 100%. I used to record practice. Then after a couple of races I began asking myself, why am I watching this? I couldn't give myself a good answer, so I stopped.

Originally Posted By: billt460
We'll see what happens. I'm more interested in knowing why NBC no longer wants F1? It's obvious lack of dollars has something to do with it. I hope F1's price isn't getting cheaper every time they have to shop around, and go bouncing to another network. Because if that's the case, it will only be a matter of time before no one wants them.

I'm betting NBC might have balked about the talk of a streaming service. As for the times of the show, I'm lucky in that I can set my schedule however I want, and happen to be a night person. They do need more replays. Up here, it happens once in a while, where they'll replay a practice, qualification, and race. TSN has five channels, after all. Then, the next race, at a similar time, they replay nothing.

Bottom Feeder: For me, I like to watch practice, at least to get an idea of the qualification sims. As for the long run sims, it's just about impossible to get a similarly clear idea of race pace simply by sitting and watching.

They might throw us a total curveball and pick up the Sky Sports coverage.

I know NBC said they didn't like the idea of a streaming service from F1 competing with their own service. Understandable really. Now if we could only get someone to carry V8 Supercars / Virgin Atlantic Super Cars so I can watch the Bathurst 1000 on TV instead of streaming.

Reports have said ESPN will use the same feed as NBC, and in them, NBC issued a statement that it decided not to renew because it didn't want to compete with whatever OTT service F1 presumably has planned.

While the world and media landscape has certainly changed, ESPN is not the same network that once ran RPM2Night, 2Day, and treated motorsport as a first-class citizen and with respect. Long after the races ended, it was that program that allowed it to continue coverage of the deaths of Greg Moore and Dale Earnhardt, and other newsworthy events from the racing world.

Based on how ESPN currently operates, and how it treats IndyCar, the best that could be expected is that F1 coverage remains on par with what NBC provided. In all likelihood, it will be worse.

The silver lining, at least for IndyCar fans, is for the series to be finally rid of ABC, Cheever and Goodyear, and for NBC to carry the complete package, including the Indy 500.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Carmudgeon

The silver lining, at least for IndyCar fans, is for the series to be finally rid of ABC, Cheever and Goodyear, and for NBC to carry the complete package, including the Indy 500.

Unfortunately, your silver lining is not yet fact. The current IndyCar TV deal has another year to run. Let's hope losing F1 makes NBC hungry to get all of IndyCar. My hopes aren't high because the Hulman-George family is in love with ABC. They want The 500 on network TV along with the hour+ pre-game showcasing all the traditions ramping up to the race. Not sure NBC would be so generous.

I'd also like to see the PT/Townsend Bell pairing continue. They've been really good for IndyCar in my opinion. And, for comic relief, I enjoy Robin Miller's SNL-type parody of "the grid walk".

You may be interested in this recent Mark Miles interview that appeared in the Indianapolis Star:
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/mot...deal/725658001/

Last edited:
My hopes aren't high because the Hulman-George family is in love with ABC. They want The 500 on network TV along with the hour+ pre-game showcasing all the traditions ramping up to the race.

As much as I don't care for the networks, I have to admit ABC's 1980's coverage of Indy was tough to beat. Right down to the opening theme song they stole from the movie Delta Force.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back