neighbors asking for money weekly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow...what an interesting neighborhood in Cedar Park...

I live in Round Rock
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Originally Posted By: VNTS
Have told some to come by on a Sunday and mow my lawn and I will give em 20$, but they look at you like me work?

Jeebus, I would mow that lawn for $20! I could buy a case of beer and two Big Macs afterwards.
smile.gif

would be about an hour.

but the young kids today, do not want to work.

We also get the nickel deposit bottle drives,lol parents drive the kids around to collect bottles, but my wife always brings the deposit bottles back every Sat morning when grocery shopping, hate having bottles hanging around. But parents waste more money on gas than the kids collect, I would just give my kid some extra chores and pay them, be [censored] if I was going to have stale beer spilt in my car from some bottle drive.

Pretty standard to get hit up continuously. Part of living in a city.

Even with a no soliciting sign, a GO AWAY doormat, and a baseball bat in the window - people STILL ring and ring and wait for me to come to the door.

I usually have to start by telling them I thought for sure they were blind - its pretty clear the my outgoing messaging say to stay away.

There are a few things I give to- all supplying a federal tax id.
No Tax ID no donation.

One guy shows up every year with a different small kid - having sat through my gauntlet of questions and provided proof his cause was genuine.

On Halloween other neighborhoods dump their kids in our area because they know its safe and we have money - highly annoying.

UD

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Man,you guys are a tough crowd...

It's reasons like this my cub scout gets cussed out and the door slammed in his face (while trying to sell popcorn for the scouts). I for the most part know most of the neighbors on my street (yes, I actually took the time to know them), and are friendly with them. A few have kids, and I'm okay with buying or giving to a cause that I think would be worthy. It's part of life, and should not be that big of a deal unless your area has big problems or something...

While I can't control everything that comes to my door, I find a simple "no thank you" works just fine...

People wonder why kids need safe spaces and when they get jaded in the area they live in and never get to be social, whether it's good or bad.....

For the most part, I do not get too much stuff at my door anyways.

I don't have a problem with the fundraising the Boy and Girl Scouts do most of the time. I wasn't in the Scouts, but my parents would buy stuff from my friends who were, or from coworkers kids, etc. Basically, people we knew in the community and knew what they were really up to. I remember in the mid 2000s, there was a group of very aggressive Girl Scout moms that set up shop outside of a local grocery store and had their kids chase people down or jump in front of them at the door, but complaints took care of that.

I do think a lot of adults these days have fewer inhibitions about begging or even demanding handouts, whether or not they really need them. There are more panhandling pros than there used to be, and I'm not talking about really hard up homeless people. It's the ones who pull up to a gas station in a half decent (or recently half decent) vehicle and start begging everyone there for a couple dollars. There were a couple guys that would routinely beg at the local McDonalds, driving a 2005ish Silverado 2500...sell the [censored] truck if you're that hard up, you don't need a 2500 to panhandle. The latest incident I had was leaving a Chipotle...some methy looking party girl was outside and started yelling at me as I was walking back to my truck to give her money. NOPE! Can't help you.

Aggressive religious groups at busy intersections also get on my nerves. I have had some explicit language for some of the really annoying ones. Don't bother me while I'm driving and you won't hear it...

Also political panhandlers. Some local Megachurch Inc. pastor who was running for an elected position pulled up to my house in a big black Mercedes...I told him "don't waste your time."

I had one Girl Scout tell me that..... "men prefer our peanut butter cookies"

I laughed and bought 3 boxes of peanut butter cookies cause I really do enjoy anything peanut butter. Cute they can be trained like the monkey at a circus with a tin cup.

Originally Posted By: 14Accent
I'm all for girl scout cookies! I'll gladly hand over $20 for a crack-fix of Samoas.

You know you can buy them at a grocery store, right? Keebler sells "Coconut Dreams" cookies that are the exact same thing.

My daughter constantly gets hammered to sell things for "school". She's in the 8th grade. She tells me they bring in some high sales guy and he gets the kids all riled up to sell. Nowadays, it's a brochure with a website.

I don't have a problem with Girl Scouts or kid sports teams. Usually we only get a few of them a year. To me it is stupid how the school districts can pay administrators 150-200k here to work 10 months a year, yet they make the kids sell candy bars so they don't cut the sports teams from the budget.

That aside, the only ones I really have problems with are the door-to-door sales people who are pushy and refuse to leave. I have had a few of those for landscaping services, rain gutters, and driveway sealing.

Jeepman3071,

I'm sure you're aware that Hartford, CT will declare bankruptcy very soon. Lots of folks don't stay in the NE after they retire and move away from the cold. All those highly paid pensions don't go back into Connecticut's economy.

Lots of broke school districts ask their students to 'raise money' for activities and sports programs.

When I was in high school long ago.... bake sales and car washing was a monthly activity. They didn't ask students to sell candy, raffle tickets or go door to door selling unwanted junk.
smirk.gif

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Jeepman3071,

I'm sure you're aware that Hartford, CT will declare bankruptcy very soon. Lots of folks don't stay in the NE after they retire and move away from the cold. All those highly paid pensions don't go back into Connecticut's economy.

Lots of broke school districts ask their students to 'raise money' for activities and sports programs.

When I was in high school long ago.... bake sales and car washing was a monthly activity. They didn't ask students to sell candy, raffle tickets or go door to door selling unwanted junk.
smirk.gif

Yes, very aware. I'm also aware of the reasons why it is, as I have friends/family who work in State government and worked for the State previously. Hard to predict budgets accurately when your revenue projections are fudged by millions of dollars.

Connecticut has thousands of employees who make exponentially more money retired living in Florida than they ever did when they worked at the state. The latest joke is the budget cuts impacting UConn, and the UConn students protesting because it will hurt campus functions. The president of UConn has stated if the budget passes she will need to close one of the campuses. Meanwhile she makes close to 800k, has two UConn funded mansions, and they have professors making 6 figure salaries whose contracts state they can only teach one class a week.

If I had the ability to move out of CT I would.

I always had to do school fundraising since I went to Catholic school K-12. I almost always sold the most candy when we did the World's Finest Chocolate thing every year. I didn't bother camping in front of a grocery store or going door to door. Instead either my mom left a box on her desk at work or the mail guy at her work would walk it around while making deliveries. I would also go to the bar with my grandpa, remember Irish Catholic so seeing a 5 year old sitting at a bar is normal, or else I would put it next to the cash register at the barber shop.

My high school never made students go out and sell stuff. The principal had some stupid rule where you couldn't earmark donations for a certain department, and of course the football team got all the money. I was in band and my friend's dad bought a xylophone and timpani set for us. He had them delivered with a note that if the football team couldn't use them, the band might want them. Set the principal off like no other, but no-one liked him.

Originally Posted By: Schmoe
My daughter constantly gets hammered to sell things for "school". She's in the 8th grade. She tells me they bring in some high sales guy and he gets the kids all riled up to sell.

Reminds me of a scene from the movie "Wolf of Wall Street".

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
Wow...what an interesting neighborhood in Cedar Park...
I live in Round Rock
smile.gif

They're very close up that way.

I wish I paid your electric rates!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back