Caterpillar Hydo Alternatives ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: zeng
Originally Posted By: salesrep
Schaeffers 239s is a semi-synthetic blend. The Scheffers td sheet is EXTREMELY informative and educational. .........

Appreciate your elaboration on cautionary notes advising against hydraulic applications in farm tractors , and it's rationale ?

hmmmm so its more of an auto transmission oil ?

This is the stuff I bought, I'm thinking it's not to spec, probably gonna return it but I wonder if this Cat HYDO stuff is all hype anyway !

This is the wrong fluid. The TO 4 spec is key to what you need according to Cat.
. As with all machinery use what the OEM specs. In this case TO-4 Fluid.

Originally Posted By: salesrep
This is the wrong fluid. The TO 4 spec is key to what you need according to Cat.
. As with all machinery use what the OEM specs. In this case TO-4 Fluid.

My manual does not spec TO 4 only HDO or DEO.

I would personally pick Tractor UTTO oil 10W30 grade over this compliant Valvoline Transmisson TO-4 oil 10W grade for its higher protection (in higher MOFT) .........
and ignoring Caterpillar's 'obsession' with emulsified fluids.
JMHO.

Last edited:
I would personally pick Tractor UTTO oil 10W30 grade over this compliant Valvoline Transmisson TO-4 oil 10W grade for its higher protection (in higher MOFT) .........
JMHO.

Really Zeng, so should I use the Travellers 10/30 stuff I posted above ? Or a 10/30 Tractor UTTO in a more recognized brand like Valvoline or Rotella ? Also spoke to a guy owns the same exact machine and has been using Napa ISO AW 32 for 10 years with no issues.

Originally Posted By: mtnxtreme
JMHO.

Really Zeng, so should I use the Travellers 10/30 stuff I posted above ? Or a 10/30 Tractor UTTO in a more recognized brand like Valvoline or Rotella ? Also spoke to a guy owns the same exact machine and has been using Napa ISO AW 32 for 10 years with no issues.

Among the various following options of :-
a)Travellers UTTO 10W30 has a KV40C=57 cSt; KV100C=9.32 cSt which is a multigrade , but a UTTO which is non-compliant as replacement for Cat Hydo 10 or Hydo 30.
b)A Valvoline TO-4 of 10W viscosity grade (monograde) in full compliant of Cat Hydo requirements and offers KV40C of 48.5 cSt and KV100C of 7.0 cSt, and
c)A valvoline TO-4 of SAE 30 viscosity grade (monograde) is also in full compliant of Cat Hydo requirements and offers KV40C of 97.5 cSt and KV100C of 10.9 cSt.

Scenario 1)
Between options (a) and (b), I would pick (a) UTTO 10W30 which is less shear-stable but still offers higher protection in higher MOFT over a compliant (b) being TO-4 of SAE 10W (being shear-stable) , at the expense of supposedly non-compliant with Cat Hydo requirements in not meeting emulsifying properties of Cat Hydo which I personally consider as immaterial and inconsequential.
Both the above share similar cold start properties.

Scenario 2)
Between options (a) and (c) above , I would pick option (c) TO-4 SAE 30 over (a) UTTO multigrade 10W30 for its full compliant with Cat Hydo for a TO-4 and being a shear-stable monograde.
However its downside being cold start temperatures may not be in synch with your ambients.

Scenario 3)
Between a SAE 10W (ISO46) or SAE 30 (ISO100) against a 'proven' AW32 (ISO32) as quoted ,for stronger protection in higher MOFT ,I really feel you should abandon the 'proven' ISO32 in an AW32 for a thicker oil in AW46/AW100 which without doubt, complies with your cold start requirements.

Hence in your context, I would probably abandon Scenatio (2) for it's probably 'unsuitable' cold start temperature in your winter and Scenario (3) and............
opt for Scenario (1) recommending an UTTO 10W30 multigrade if ...........
you are comfortable with its demulsifying properties which is non-compliant with emulsifying properties of a Cat Hydo.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mtnxtreme
JMHO.

Among the various following options of :-
a)Travellers UTTO 10W30 has a KV40C=57 cSt; KV100C=9.32 cSt which is a multigrade , but a UTTO which is non-compliant as replacement for Cat Hydo 10 or Hydo 30.
b)A Valvoline TO-4 of 10W viscosity grade (monograde) in full compliant of Cat Hydo requirements and offers KV40C of 48.5 cSt and KV100C of 7.0 cSt, and
c)A valvoline TO-4 of SAE 30 viscosity grade (monograde) is also in full compliant of Cat Hydo requirements and offers KV40C of 97.5 cSt and KV100C of 10.9 cSt.

Scenario 1)
Between options (a) and (b), I would pick (a) UTTO 10W30 which is less shear-stable but still offers higher protection in higher MOFT over a compliant (b) being TO-4 of SAE 10W (being shear-stable) , at the expense of supposedly non-compliant with Cat Hydo requirements in not meeting emulsifying properties of Cat Hydo which I personally consider as immaterial and inconsequential.
Both the above share similar cold start properties.

Scenario 2)
Between options (a) and (c) above , I would pick option (c) TO-4 SAE 30 over (a) UTTO multigrade 10W30 for its full compliant with Cat Hydo for a TO-4 and being a shear-stable monograde.
However its downside being cold start temperatures may not be in synch with your ambients.

Scenario 3)
Between a SAE 10W (ISO46) or SAE 30 (ISO100) against a 'proven' AW32 (ISO32) as quoted ,for stronger protection in higher MOFT ,I really feel you should abandon the 'proven' ISO32 in an AW32 for a thicker oil in AW46/AW100 which without doubt, complies with your cold start requirements.

Hence in your context, I would probably abandon Scenatio (2) for it's probably 'unsuitable' cold start temperature in your winter and Scenario (3) and............
opt for Scenario (1) recommending an UTTO 10W30 multigrade if ...........
you are comfortable with its demulsifying properties which is non-compliant with emulsifying properties of a Cat Hydo.

So basically the UTTO is better than the AW32 or AW46 because it's a multigrade, basically same oil but lacks the emulsifying properties of the Valvoline ? Does the Valvoline mix the water in the oil evenly instead of big water drops or vice versa ? Hmm wonder if theres an additive to put in the UTTO or you think its all wive's tales ?

Heck, my comments above on Travellers UTTO 10W30 as non-Cat compliant and lacking emulsifiers is invalid!

This Travellers UTTO 10W30 is actually a Cat Multipurpose Tractor Oil (MTO) referred to above and Cat HYDO-compliant ......
just as the same for Cat DEO and Cat TO-4.

It's the 'dedicated' Hydraulic Oils in AW32 / AW46 /AW 68 or AW 100 that usually comes with demulsifiers that is non-Cat HYDO compliant .......
and I wouldn't be worried about this demulsifiers and prefers its shear-stability for being a monograde.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back