2015 Ford PSD 6.7 38,000km OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for sharing the filter. The media doesn't look as bad as I was expecting. My rigs duty cycle is a joke compared to what those trucks do day in and day out. Wonder what the TBN was on the oil? Appreciate it.

Last edited:
Considering the conditions and amount of time that it must have taken to accumulate the 38k km/ 24k miles, and running the PTO as well, I think the UOA seems quite reasonable. The filter looks like it survived the extended time as well (at least it's intact). Thanks for the pictures and the report itself.

Under those conditions I would say the oil report is very good but I would not recommend that duty cycle on that OCI. Pretty good testament for Delo under harsh usage at an extended drain interval.

Dustin,

I work and design bypass filters for the military and a few other applications.

1. Here's the truth, most bypass filters don't really do much.

2. If you delete the EGR and DPF, you don't need that filter. I have many customers that say but what if we put on a bypass filter? I tell them well you deleted DPF and EGR, there is little to no point.

On the 6.7PSD I routinely get 50,000 mile OCI's. I recently saw Terry Dyson bragging about 35,000 miles. PFFFFFt, that's a joke. I've gotten one PSD to 85,000 miles before we had to call it a day.

Originally Posted By: danielLD
Dustin,

I work and design bypass filters for the military and a few other applications.

1. Here's the truth, most bypass filters don't really do much.

2. If you delete the EGR and DPF, you don't need that filter. I have many customers that say but what if we put on a bypass filter? I tell them well you deleted DPF and EGR, there is little to no point.

On the 6.7PSD I routinely get 50,000 mile OCI's. I recently saw Terry Dyson bragging about 35,000 miles. PFFFFFt, that's a joke. I've gotten one PSD to 85,000 miles before we had to call it a day.

I believe that BP filters can do some very good work and show beneficial particulate reduction, but ONLY IF there's a massive amount of contamination to work with. For example, the bus-filter-study many of us have discussed here before; it showed a definite benefit to reducing particulate loading = less wear metals. HOWEVER, that study was run on 2-stroke diesel buses known for puking out tons of soot loading, etc. In a much-more-normal applications, where the soot loading is very low, and the added benefit of today's well-made lubes helps keep contaminants from amalgamating, filtration is kind of a waning necessity. I would not want to run an engine without filtration, but one does not "need" super-duper BP filters to sustain a reasonably clean sump.

Between the good lubes, clean running engines, decent FF filters, and a reasonable OCI, there's not really any tangible benefit to a BP unit. If you alter those inputs, then BP might be much more important to the equation. But not as most folks practice OFCIs today; it's not going to give any ROI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back