Use Harley Oil or Amsoil ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will soon take delivery of a 2018 Fat Boy and after I reach the 1000 mile mark I will need to decide if I want to use the Harley synthetic or use Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil. Of course I am receiving pressure from the Harley salesman to use their oil . Thoughts ?

I'd use the Harley oil and retain the receipts. Why? If anything happens, even if out of warranty, they might assist for partial or full coverage on an engine repair if you've been loyal to using HD branded oil and filters.

Look for your API spec and pick the one that meets it and is the cheapest on sale. If your bike writes a written complaint worry about it!

Because of the expense of maintaining any HD bike especially including the engine/transmission, I'd use the HD oil for the duration of the warranty and keep receipts and all records.

Originally Posted By: JohnnyJohnson
Look for your API spec and pick the one that meets it and is the cheapest on sale. If your bike writes a written complaint worry about it!
That's a good one LOL.,,,

Congrats on the new ride!

I'm curious to know if there's an actual specification "requirement" or if it's more like a "we recommend HD brand oil" type of language in the manual?

FWIW I've always liked M1 15w50 in my Harleys, but I've never had warranty coverage to consider

Mobil 1 15-50 is what I use. Never had to use warranty on either Ultra. My Honda says to use only Honda oil but it gets Mobil 1 too.

The Harley Syn3 oil is basically an overpriced and under-performing oil. On hot days, when I came to a stop, the oil pressure gauge on my Ultra Classic would read right close to 0 on Syn3. Since running Mobil 1 V-twin the oil pressure gauge always stays up.

I run Redline V-Twin oil in my modified Softail Deuce and the Mobil 1 V-Twin in my Ultra Classic. The only thing I buy at a HD dealer is the 5 micron chrome filters because they are a decent filter and the price isn't too bad. Oh I may buy a hat or t-shirt now and then...

A friend I ride with has used Syn3 in his 2003 Road King since new. The bike now has 127,000 miles with no major repairs. Neither the top or bottom end has been opened up. Having said that, I rode with another friend yesterday who owns a 2003 Electraglide Ultra with 59,000 miles who has used Amsoil since new, and on a trip out west this summer his bike broke a valve in Kansas and had to ride back to NC in the back of a Penske rental truck. $5,000 dollars later, he has it up for sale. I think both instances are on the extreme ends of the scale. I wouldn't have a problem running the Syn3 or the Amsoil but I'm hoping my 2009 Superglide will land at least somewhere in the middle of these two examples. BTW, I use Valvoline Vr1 20 w 50 conventional and my bike seems to like it.

I think it's more following maintenance schedule than brand of oil. Both would work fine along with a bunch of other oils. I usually dont go with factory lubricants or filters. I find them higher priced, not to say not as good, but just a rip off in price. Not twice as good.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
So he needs to use a Harley oil to keep the Harley warranty?
Are Harley's that bad that you need to worry about the warranty that much?

Short answer is no and it's Harleys, not Harley's. There, the grammar not-see gotcha!

Originally Posted By: yankees1
I will soon take delivery of a 2018 Fat Boy and after I reach the 1000 mile mark I will need to decide if I want to use the Harley synthetic or use Amsoil synthetic motorcycle oil. Of course I am receiving pressure from the Harley salesman to use their oil . Thoughts ?

Thoughts are for me, like anything, use recommended oils by the manufacturer in anything I buy or something that is reasonably close if like Harley/Indian/ etc they dont give options. There is a gray area in the owners manual of the Harley touring bikes for a CH4+ or better oil if HD oil is not available, of course it states to switch back to HD oil ASAP but to me, using a CH4+ or better oil is better then using an S rated motorcycle oil. As VOAs and UOAs show Harley oil is composed like an HEDO oil. (C rated)

To each his own ... once you stray off the recommended path.

Last edited:

Pressure from HD to use their products, eh? Kindly remind them that they must provide their branded products FREE OF CHARGE (per the M/M Warranty Act) if they are to insist for the purposes of warranty coverage. Otherwise you may use any brand that "meets/exceeds" their specs. And if they don't publish those specs for the aftermarket, then you are free to use what you see fit.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law
See "tie in sales about a third of the way down.

I vote for Rotella T4 in 15w-40, but it sounds like you're on the "syn" bandwagon. I'm not a fan of T6; shears too much in bikes. (I understand your engine isn't a shared-sump bike, but T6 just does not return performance for the dollar IMO. T4 does every bit as good for far less cost).

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

Pressure from HD to use their products, eh? Kindly remind them that they must provide their branded products FREE OF CHARGE (per the M/M Warranty Act) if they are to insist for the purposes of warranty coverage. Otherwise you may use any brand that "meets/exceeds" their specs. And if they don't publish those specs for the aftermarket, then you are free to use what you see fit.
https://www.ftc.gov/tips-advice/business-center/guidance/businesspersons-guide-federal-warranty-law

I vote for Rotella T4 in 15w-40, but it sounds like you're on the "syn" bandwagon. I'm not a fan of T6; shears too much in bikes. (I understand your engine isn't a shared-sump bike, but T6 just does not return performance for the dollar IMO. T4 does every bit as good for far less cost).

The issue I see with your recommendation is that HD calls for 20w/50. I know a few folks running 15W/40 HDEO just as you recommend with good results but maybe he should stick to 20W/50 while under warranty.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Originally Posted By: dnewton3

The issue I see with your recommendation is that HD calls for 20w/50. I know a few folks running 15W/40 HDEO just as you recommend with good results but maybe he should stick to 20W/50 while under warranty.

Yes that point is valid. Even if a manufacturer doesn't list every detail of the oil they "require" you will need to meet the ones they do make known such as the "correct" viscosity to avoid the warranty from being voided. (at least the 50 part anyway. I suspect they would have a very hard time arguing that the 20W offers any critical performance benefit over a 15W or 10W).

Congratulations on the new bike!
You will not go wrong with either choice; nor would you with VR1, M1, or Castrol. Amazon frequently runs deals on Castrol MC oil. I had the best results with Vr1 in my Buell; but I would run Amsoil in a new HD. years ago, before HD had a synth oil, they used to claim that synthetic was not recommended. when they decided to market a synth oil, poof, suddenly it was recommended. I have relatives and friends who seek out amsoil for their Harleys. many many years of riding.

I got rid of the Buell but am currently running amsoil in my Yamahas and Honda. my bikes are not "occasional use"; I commute two hours per day. the dirt bikes see plenty of dust, dirt, and mud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back