2018 BMW K1600B

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought 5000 miles (stock Pirelli's) for the rear on my 160hp 467lb Ducati was bad, but 3000? Ouch.

If I was in the market for a new bike which I am unfortunately not, The RnineT Sport would be at the top of my list...

images.duckduckgo.com-M.jpg

Retro yet modern. If I keep looking at these pics I may be in the market after all!

I am smitten and here is another look.

Don't like the bug eye retro racing faring. Otherwise the R9T platform is a fine setup. I prefer it in the naked config as when they first intro'd it a couple yrs ago.

To each their own however, that's what makes different bikes fun. If you truly want one, life's short. Do it. I mean that. Almost bought the farm myself 7 months ago when I totaled the Duc. If you're smitten, DO IT !!

This one's for everyone on the fence about pulling the trigger on a bike or other machine they're salivating over:

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
Don't like the bug eye retro racing faring.

That's my favorite part!!

I know, beauty in the eye of the beholder and all that. I have enough toys and I will have to contend myself with admiring it from afar.

I thought 5000 miles (stock Pirelli's) for the rear on my 160hp 467lb Ducati was bad, but 3000? Ouch.

Look at it this way: 3k from a rear tire, is about 3x the mileage I get out of a rear tire on my hopped-up bike.

As for new bikes, I'm anxious to see what has been done with the '18 S1000RR.

Originally Posted By: 02SE

Look at it this way: 3k from a rear tire, is about 3x the mileage I get out of a rear tire on my hopped-up bike.

Im glad to see the tire wear statements, of course if I was really considering a bike I would simply go to that bikes forums.
I actually am relieved, never say never but will never go back to a bike that gives less then 12,000 miles on a tire.

Im actually over 20,000 on my front right now, the rear I replaced around, just shy of 14,000 and maybe had another 1000 or 2, on it but like the dealer I was at while in the Smoky Mountains (where I originally bought the bike) plus it was a little cupped

Anyway, at this point in my life, that is a deal killer. Im not that hung up on having 160 HP ! :eek:)
But if I could have a second one, and these photos are what they are to me when I see the bike in real life, well, I would bring it home. Darn it! *L*

Last edited:
Ack. To the new owner, that 2nd video... don't do extended idles dude, the rings need seated first. Time for some break-in runs on that beast. First 50 miles.

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

Im glad to see the tire wear statements, of course if I was really considering a bike I would simply go to that bikes forums.
I actually am relieved, never say never but will never go back to a bike that gives less then 12,000 miles on a tire.

Im actually over 20,000 on my front right now, the rear I replaced around, just shy of 14,000 and maybe had another 1000 or 2, on it but like the dealer I was at while in the Smoky Mountains (where I originally bought the bike) plus it was a little cupped

Anyway, at this point in my life, that is a deal killer. Im not that hung up on having 160 HP ! :eek:)
But if I could have a second one, and these photos are what they are to me when I see the bike in real life, well, I would bring it home. Darn it! *L*

Tire wear is based on several variables. The weight and power of the bike, tire construction, road surface, and riding style. I could make my tire(s) last longer, but then I wouldn't be enjoying the capabilities of my bikes.

I'm not hung up on 160 HP either, I prefer a lot more. That 160 HP claimed by BMW, is at the crank. It's more like 128-130 RWHP.

Originally Posted By: Ausfahrt
Retro yet modern. If I keep looking at these pics I may be in the market after all!

I am smitten and here is another look.

The only person you have to please is you. I've seen this bike in person, I think it captures the old Cafe Racer look brilliantly.

My Uncle had a K1600GTL and I never heard him complain much about the tire wear... He rode it hard too.

I do like the R9T series the sport reminds me of the Paul Smart and Guzzi Tenni.

2006-Ducati-PaulSmart1000LimitedEditiond.jpg

134224@Moto-Guzzi-V11-Serie.jpg

Unfortunately my back hurts just looking at the Paul Smart, never rode the Tenni.

Tire wear is based on several variables. The weight and power of the bike, tire construction, road surface, and riding style. I could make my tire(s) last longer, but then I wouldn't be enjoying the capabilities of my bikes.

Yup, the #1 main factor in tire wear is the rider's throttle control, and the 2nd & 3rd factors are tire construction and road surfaces.

I got 10K miles on the stock rear tire on the Hayabusa, and it certainly wasn't babied the whole time. Never excessively spun the rear tire, and had quite a few miles on twisty roads, so the sides took some of the wear miles.

Anyone doing mainly straight road cruising should use the dual compound tires so they wear better/slower in the middle of the tire.

It's the coarser asphalt surfacing that will wear the treads xtra-fast. Most of the stuff around this boring area is smooth surface asphalt or poured concrete w/o the winter traction hashing. Good twisters are prized and not terribly common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back