How many use air tools at home?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have a 20 gallon compressor at home. I was able to get 5 lug nuts off my peterbilt before I had to wait 5 minutes for the compressor to catch up.
What about the other 5 lug nuts.

Originally Posted By: CT8
Originally Posted By: Chris142
I have a 20 gallon compressor at home. I was able to get 5 lug nuts off my peterbilt before I had to wait 5 minutes for the compressor to catch up.
What about the other 5 lug nuts.
they came off 5 minutes later.

I have a full compliment of air tools but I actually prefer using my Milwaukee cordless tools. The 3/8" rachet drive handles 90% of what I need without air compressor noise. Actually I just use my impact air tool for tires and heavy fastener use anymore. However - having air tools and a compressor is still a MUST for me.

I have two 8 gallon cheapie (HF) compressors hooked up in parallel, with an extra 10gal air tank plumbed in that has a shut-off, so I can isolate it and not fill it when I'm not using something that requires a lot of air. That setup has worked great for many years now.

The 1/2" impact is a tool I can't live without, the others (3/8 air ratchet, drills, etc.) I only use if I'm in a hurry or if my cordless drill batteries are dead. Of if I'm on a long project, the air helps because I don't have to recharge it like I do cordless stuff.

The only thing that works the compressors real hard are air sanders. I sometimes have to take a break and let the air compressors cool if i'm sending for more than an hour or two. They generally keep up, but get good and hot after a while. I'll only use oil-lubricated compressors, no oilless [censored] for me.

I’m looking at Milwaukee Fuel M18 tools right now to replace air tools. You first buy the kit that comes with the Tool, 2 batteries and charger. After that, you buy the bare tools at a much cheaper cost.

My air tools are all collecting dust on the shelf. I use electric tools now, most of them battery powered.

Originally Posted By: 92saturnsl2
I have two 8 gallon cheapie (HF) compressors hooked up in parallel, with an extra 10gal air tank plumbed in that has a shut-off, so I can isolate it and not fill it when I'm not using something that requires a lot of air. That setup has worked great for many years now.

The 1/2" impact is a tool I can't live without, the others (3/8 air ratchet, drills, etc.) I only use if I'm in a hurry or if my cordless drill batteries are dead. Of if I'm on a long project, the air helps because I don't have to recharge it like I do cordless stuff.

The only thing that works the compressors real hard are air sanders. I sometimes have to take a break and let the air compressors cool if i'm sending for more than an hour or two. They generally keep up, but get good and hot after a while. I'll only use oil-lubricated compressors, no oilless [censored] for me.

Aren't the cheapie HF compressors you are using oil-free? Why go thru all the trouble plumbing 2 basically worthless pancake compressors and a tank together? For the same or less money you can have a decent 30 gal or so 125psi unit that can run more tools.

Of course this is BITOG here we do some great stuff and tinker so maybe you have good reason to go this route. I know you're an outstanding guy so I kinda know you had reasons and this setup works for you - but I just had to poke and ask.

I used air tool frequently when growing up. Now, just do to logistics I dont have a large compressor nor do I have the best place to store one. I used a number of electric impacts over the last few years and they worked flawlessly. Much easier to drag around an extension cord then running an air line and housing a large compressor.

Originally Posted By: BrianF
I used air tool frequently when growing up. Now, just do to logistics I dont have a large compressor nor do I have the best place to store one. I used a number of electric impacts over the last few years and they worked flawlessly. Much easier to drag around an extension cord then running an air line and housing a large compressor.

Exactly. And _most_ stuff I work on, I can use my cordless 1/2" without a problem. Mostly Hondas and VWs. For the occasional "big" bit, I can bust out my corded unit; it's never failed to get the job done.

I have a compressor but I primarily use it for airing up tires, blowing things off, and running my nail/staple guns. I have two electric impacts, a 1/2" one I use for the heavy duty stuff and a 1/4" one I use for driving screws and small bolts.

EDIT: And since this is BITOG, I run Mobil 1 0w-20 in the air compressor. Really reduces the start-up surge compared to 30w compressor oil. Motor wouldn't run at all at the end of maybe 200' of extension cord with the 30w, but starts right up with the 0w-20.

Last edited:
I use my air impact just about every week. Also have air die grinder, air hammer, needle scaler, hvlp paint gun and cut off wheel grinder.

Also have framing nailers, trim nailers and a hardwood flooring nailer I have use on different home and construction projects.

Air tool everything at work, none at home. I have time when working at home - no one is going to complain if I take extra time removing wheel nuts with a wheel brace.

I have air tools, I don't use them as much with the recent addition of the electric and battery impacts, but when needed for the bigger stuff or air hammer I'm very glad I have them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back