M1 5w-30 / 16,700km / 2014 Ford Escape 1.6L Eco

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone!

Here's the first oil analysis from the wifes 2014 Ford Escape with the 1.6L ecoboost engine. The oil was in use from 30 Oct. 2016 - 28 Aug. 2017, covering 16,700km of use. Note KM not miles.

Filter used was a Fram XG filter. Air filter was changed at the same time as this oil was dumped, at the end of august this year.

Let me know what you all think!

With silicon that high, definitely need to check to see if the airbox around the air filter, the entire path going into the engine is tight. If it looks good, then it might just have been a bad air filter with more porosity thant it should have (manufacturing variation). Extra silicon is probably what caused the extra iron wear.

Insolubles were high, which seems weird since you used a Fram Ultra which should be catching it. Try a MicroGreen oil filter to see if that gets more junk out. Amazon.com or MicroGreen's website.

Last edited:
Silicon and insolubles are high, and iron and aluminum are high.

Dirt is getting past the air filter and causing elevated wear.

For almost 10,500 MILES on this OCI for an EcoBoost engine the overall wear is good. The wear that stands out appears to be the result of dirt getting into the engine some where along the line. Was that the factory air filter you changed out this oil change? Who did your previous oil changes, was it yourself or some place else that might have "inspected" the air filter as part of the oil change service. If not did you open the air box to inspect the air filter. As others have said here make sure all the intake connections are proper and tight, plus any vacuum lines. Though if there is a vacuum line was leaking I'd suspect there would be a running issue. You're a brave fellow running an EcoBoost for that mileage and length of time
grin2.gif
. But it goes to show us that this DI turbo engine overall held up well for the use. What brand air filter did you use as the replacement?

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Silicon and insolubles are high, and iron and aluminum are high.

Dirt is getting past the air filter and causing elevated wear.

This proves the usefulness of at least the occasional UOA to monitor at least somewhat what's going on in the engine, especially if it's a relatively new vehicle and you intend to keep it. It gives you a chance to hopefully try to correct the problem.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
For almost 10,500 MILES on this OCI for an EcoBoost engine the overall wear is good. The wear that stands out appears to be the result of dirt getting into the engine some where along the line. Was that the factory air filter you changed out this oil change? Who did your previous oil changes, was it yourself or some place else that might have "inspected" the air filter as part of the oil change service. If not did you open the air box to inspect the air filter. As others have said here make sure all the intake connections are proper and tight, plus any vacuum lines. Though if there is a vacuum line was leaking I'd suspect there would be a running issue. You're a brave fellow running an EcoBoost for that mileage and length of time
grin2.gif
. But it goes to show us that this DI turbo engine overall held up well for the use. What brand air filter did you use as the replacement?

Whimsey

Thank you sir

that was the original factory air filter that was run up to the end of this OCI. The dealership did the first oil change, and I've done the rest since then, so I might guess the air filter has been leaking since that first oil change. Hopefully that changes now.

Now I too was worried running the oil out this long, but we made sure to do frequent highway runs on a regular basis, and it looks like it payed off in terms of keeping fuel dilution minimal.

With a new air filter installed, hopefully the next run shows better results.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back