Recommend Trans fluid that meets Honda ATF-Z1

Status
Not open for further replies.
We own an 04 Acura RSX with just 40000 miles. When we were breaking it in, I had to add about a quart of ATF.

I used the Amsoil Universal ATF. Car shifts great, looking to do a ATF drain, for the next couple of engine ocis.

The car has not used any more oil, and is still red in color.

I will probably use either the Castrol Import ATF or Amsoil.

I do like Amsoil and Mobil One synthetics for ATF. I have heard a few good comments about the Castrol Import ATF, but not too many with the Mobil One.

the original trans on my integra was replaced at 90,000 miles due to failure, it seemed to have regular service intervals when i bought it based on the carfax, dealer reported maintenance all the way up until 2006 i believe, until i bought it. When i did the first tranny fluid change on it, the trans fluid was black and smelled terrible, and this was honda ATF fluid from the dealer oil changes. I use only royal purple max atf in mine, and ive had no problems whatsoever. The new trans now has almost another 100k on it, and it runs like new again with the new fluid.

I just finished changing my 2000 Accord ATF from Z1 to Maxlife. Car has 119k miles on the original transmission and it has never had any problems running Z1 with 20k changes (drain & refill), but I want to extend the life if possible. I held off switching from Z1 since this car was covered by the extended Honda transmission warranty, but thats expired now.
I did add a Magnefine filter in the cooling line previously.

This time I drained the trany and dumped in 3 quarts of Maxlife. I then removed the cooling hose and pumped out 2 more quarts (one at a time to check the color change). The result is I changed 5 of the 6+ quart capacity in one operation. It should be about 80% Maxlife now. I can not tell any difference in the shifts and hopefully it will stay that way.

Local Honda dealer here uses an atf replacement or "flush" machine, but does not add any chemicals or anything. When I asked service rep why they use something that Honda specifically recommends against, he said that it saves them time and gets out more of the old fluid without harming anything. He said the drain/fill/drive x4 procedure was for folks that want to try and do it themselves, but is too time-consuming in a shop situation.

I do the same as they do on all Hondas except I flush it at a cooler line connection without using one of those expensive, unnecessary machines that takes up valuable space in my shop.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
For those Accord owners changing the transmission fluid, do you change the filter at every fluid change?

Accords don't have a (changeable) filter unless a Magnafine was added.
When the A/T is rebuilt by Honda, (as many are) an inline filter is added which is usually not replaced when the fluid is changed.
I feel Honda should have added a filter and synthetic ATF at the factory to help prolong the life of their poorly designed transmissions. Z-1 fluid was nothing special and overpriced IMO.

Originally Posted By: pbm
Accords don't have a (changeable) filter unless a Magnafine was added.
When the A/T is rebuilt by Honda, (as many are) an inline filter is added which is usually not replaced when the fluid is changed.
I feel Honda should have added a filter and synthetic ATF at the factory to help prolong the life of their poorly designed transmissions. Z-1 fluid was nothing special and overpriced IMO.

Sure they do. I don’t know what Accord you’re taking about but the one’s I’ve had all come with filters. I just changed this transmission filter on my ’03 V6 along with the fluid. It’s like $12 at the Honda dealer.

standard.jpg

most of 5AT on K series and J Series engine between 2003-2008 has an external AT filter;. i am not sure if the K would still have it after 2009, but the external filter was removed on J series on 2009 model. the filter become "internal" that is not accessible during regular services, a disassemble is required. the 6AT on the Acura starting in 2010 again receive an external AT filter.

Not sure what you consider external but my filter in the picture above is a serviceable internal part, not like the inline filters that people splice in.

My 2001 Insight even has TWO internal filters you replace during a fluid change.

Last edited:
Hello BITOGers,

My name is Eric and I'm doing some research about ATF procedure for my 2010 Honda Odyssey LX.

I bought the van Certified Pre-Owned with 61,342 miles on it in April of 2014. I'm currently at 99,400 miles and I'm loving every mile.

As many of you know, Honda has a shaky reputation with the 5-speed automatic in these vans. I'm planning out my maintenance routine and was hoping for some insight. I've decided on aiming for every 15k miles to replace the ATF.

I have the service records back to when this van was brand new. Here are the ATF change records-

11/22/2011 @ 29,906 miles
6/11/2015 @ 78,131 miles
6/14/2016 @ 89,434 miles

The first two times were at a Honda dealer using (I assume) Honda Z-1 or DW-1 ATF. The most recent time was at the Ford dealer where I work using some generic bulk ATF. I know for a fact that the two changes under my ownership were simply spill and fill- no "flush", no 3x drain and fill, just opening the drain plug for probably 10 mins and refilling.

My question is this- based on my service history, would you advise I do a drain and fill next time or a 3x drain and fill? I'm not comfortable removing hoses or draining with the engine running so those options are out. For a 3x procedure I would drain for 10 mins, refill, drive until torque converter lockup, drain and repeat. Whichever option I go with I plan on using Valvoline MaxLife ATF.

Thank you for any insight you can provide!

^^^^ Whatever ATF fluid used (first two listed in all likelihood Z1 or DW1) seems the like the trans has been serviced regularly and you note no issues. I'd just do a single d&f and then at 15k miles more (your call) do another the same way. Unless you just want to I don't see any need for the 3x procedure. Even more so with the planned 15k d&f interval.

As reference two Hondas maintained using ML since Z1 (also originally spec'd for topic Odyssey) discontinued doing 'only' single d&fs at 25-30k mile intervals. One a V6, and one an 01 Civic both original trans and shifting fine.

If it were mine, I would do the 3x change in order to get most of the old stuff out and end up with (mostly) a single product/chemistry in there. Max Life is relatively inexpensive. I would then follow up with single drain and fills if using the 15K OCI you mentioned.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
^^^^ Whatever ATF fluid used (first two listed in all likelihood Z1 or DW1) seems the like the trans has been serviced regularly and you note no issues. I'd just do a single d&f and then at 15k miles more (your call) do another the same way. Unless you just want to I don't see any need for the 3x procedure. Even more so with the planned 15k d&f interval.

As reference two Hondas maintained using ML since Z1 (also originally spec'd for topic Odyssey) discontinued doing 'only' single d&fs at 25-30k mile intervals. One a V6, and one an 01 Civic both original trans and shifting fine.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
If it were mine, I would do the 3x change in order to get most of the old stuff out and end up with (mostly) a single product/chemistry in there. Max Life is relatively inexpensive. I would then follow up with single drain and fills if using the 15K OCI you mentioned.

Both of you present an interesting argument. I certainly like the idea of clearing out the current cocktail of fluid and switching it over to MaxLife, then doing a single drain and fill every 15k. That sounds like a good plan to me.

Last edited:
If comfortable removing the ATF cooler line you could do it at all once, just make sure to pour at the rate it comes out until completely clean/color of what you are pouring in. Immediately shut it off and reconnect/top off the level as needed via the manuals level check instructions. Of course this method can be messy and it'd be a good idea to get some clear hose to route it into a large bucket/catch pan. I had a shop do this for me to convert from w/e fluid on my Fit over to Amsoil's ATL ATF. If I were driving a larger Honda I'd choose the universal but 40k miles later and great performance. Since I converted fully, I'm going to just d0 50k d&f considering it's Amsoil and not Honda ATF, which is more like 30k at most. You'll probably do just fine with MaxLife this way, but doing the severe 15k d&f for peace of mind.

49.gif

Last edited:
My 06 V6 Accord has a removable Trans filter - . Just below , to the left of the battery.
It's a pain but changeable.

Same engine and transmission as the Odyssey ? '05 and newer Odysseys do have a transmission filter but Honda doesn't recommend changing it and people (on other forums) who have changed them or inspected them, say they're 'clean' even at 100,000+ miles.

I would just leave it at that. The Ford dealer most likely used a compatible fluid (don't usually want liability when you are a dealer), and if you don't feel any shift problem then it is most likely ok.

If you are concerned from what I remember on my Honda / Acura days, they recommend 3 drains and refill (after a few minutes of driving in between), to dilute the old fluid enough to make it ok.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back