junk in bottom of fresh oil containers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my son did an oil change on his 22RE this weekend, and my wife's car need one as well. Well after we were all done i was going to combine the left over oil in teh bottles for some oil for the snow blower or the generators.
well sure glad i looked in to containers, now i need the people here to tell me what my next move should be.

I wouldn't be too worried, that is just additive fallout. Bottle sometimes sit for a while.

You can gently mix/shake (think of a slow concrete mixer or paint shaker motion) these bottles a few days before your oil change. That'll mix the additives back up and a few days will allow any air bubbles from the mixing to dissipate.

Not a big deal, though you can warm up the jugs with hot water before shaking in order to avoid this. I typically do this with my old bottles of Pennzoil Ultra.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
Not a big deal, though you can warm up the jugs with hot water before shaking in order to avoid this. I typically do this with my old bottles of Pennzoil Ultra.

Good idea. Never thought of that. Thanks

"Drippies" - as we used to call them at the gas station - have the best oil as they are SUPER SUSPENDED with additives.

Cant beat it! Don't toss it!

And no it's not brand specific or cheep or expensive oil it seems common in all brands although I have not seen it yet in Valvoline Synpower synthetic.

Originally Posted By: mooferz
Originally Posted By: redhat
You can gently mix/shake (think of a slow concrete mixer or paint shaker motion) these bottles a few days before your oil change. That'll mix the additives back up and a few days will allow any air bubbles from the mixing to dissipate.
Shake it a few seconds just before pouring. I can't imagine worrying about bubbles or wasting hot water on it (you've got to be kidding, people!).

It's some of the additives.

"FlyNavyP3 "(on here) had a jug that had collected these additives, his oil analysis reports were OFF THE CHAIN!

Have a friend that worked at oil change facility. He would collect the discarded bottles and pour them into one container for himself. No one would ever empty them 100%. Now I truly understand what he was doing!

Respectfully,

Pajero!

Quote:
I wouldn't be too worried, that is just additive fallout. Bottle sometimes sit for a while.....

This. No worries.

Seen it before in PP qts and jugs. Just shake, shake, shake, and pour.

Originally Posted By: Killer223
well sure glad i looked in to containers, now i need the people here to tell me what my next move should be.

Collect all those additives and add it to your next oil change for a "super oil".
grin.gif
Just kidding.

Like the above posters, I've noticed this too; especially with Pennzoil synthetics. No reasonable amount of shaking has ever made a difference in my experience. Some have suggested turning the jug upside down the day before the oil change. I've never done that. You're good to go.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Quote:
I wouldn't be too worried, that is just additive fallout. Bottle sometimes sit for a while.

This. No worries.

Seen it in PP qts and jugs before. Just shake, shake, shake, and pour.

Bingo. I've seen it over the years in just about any brand of oil that sat for a while. As others stated, shake and pour.

Originally Posted By: Pajero
Have a friend that worked at oil change facility. He would collect the discarded bottles and pour them into one container for himself. No one would ever empty them 100%. Now I truly understand what he was doing!

I empty all mine in a jug to put in a squirt can for lubricating things. takes forever to get a 1/4 quart of oil out of it.

Two winos scrapped enough change to get split a bottle of wine 50-50. After they came out the store, the first wino popped the top, tipped the bottle up and drank it dry. The second wino said "WHY DID YOU DO THAT!! you were only supposed to drink half" The first wino said "thats right but my half was on the bottom."

Last edited:
I've seen this too. Yrs back I think I saw a spec for how much metal from the refining process
gets into new oil we buy!

So I tilt the bottles to the other side and drain it out the good drips and use it. The black stuff
stays in the bottles for recycling!!!

Originally Posted By: SilverFusion2010
Shake and pour. If it doesn't dissolve the filter will catch it

Oops! Sorry, filters 'may' catch 20 micron particles or bigger, but the stuff on the bottom of the oil bottles is way smaller
then that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back