All New New Honda Goldwing for 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: gman2304

Cool...then those same people can "cruise" at 90 to 95 mph at the same engine RPM's without sacrificing wear and tear and fuel mileage...
crazy.gif

exaclty!

when you exit Hwy 16 and get on I10 west. the very 1st sign you see is this:
SPEED
LIMIT

nobody drives just 85 when its over 550 miles till el paso
(i think there are only 3 other states (north/south california, east/west montana and alaska) where you can even see a mileage sign that shows a city in the same state over 500 miles away)

I think too many people get hung up on this whole 6th gear thing. The number of gears you have doesn't matter, the percentage of available RPMs you're running at highway speeds is what matters. My 5 speed Rocket turned the same RPM as my buddy's 6 speed Harley at 80 MPH, but the Rocket had a 1000 RPM higher redline than his Harley did, so that actually meant the Rocket turned a lower percentage of the available RPMs at highway speeds...

Originally Posted By: grampi
I think too many people get hung up on this whole 6th gear thing. The number of gears you have doesn't matter, the percentage of available RPMs you're running at highway speeds is what matters. My 5 speed Rocket turned the same RPM as my buddy's 6 speed Harley at 80 MPH, but the Rocket had a 1000 RPM higher redline than his Harley did, so that actually meant the Rocket turned a lower percentage of the available RPMs at highway speeds...

So true. I have a 4 speed in my VT1100, and can cruise 85 mph all day. Heck, I don't even shift into 4th gear unless I am above 65.
The newer (starting in '95 till '07) Shadow 1100's had a 5 speed, and some gripe about wanting another gear.
My brother wishes his '95 883 had another gear (it is a 5 speed), and I agree. At 75 in 5th gear, I found I was always wanting to shift one more time.
One of the good things if you have a chain drive, you can do a sprocket swap and change the gearing some. Shaft and belt drives are pretty much out of luck.

As I suspected in my previous posts, Goldwing now has 6 speeds and a model with 7.

Its about time and only makes sense, no biker manufacturer in their right mind would introduce a 5 speed cruiser in the 1700 cc class or larger as a new model if they wanted to stay in business.

I like the base model Goldwings, I suspect the 17 in the base will have cruise too.
It will be interesting to see if the quality of the paint, plastics and hardware have been upgraded from the pre 17s which I did not like at all. I suspect they have since Yamaha is now in the game and Yamahas feel to me was always a step above Honda, to me Harley is the benchmark with paint, hardware and quality feel but for the right price of the others who knows... looking forward to seeing the new wing and no, Im not in the market for a new bike .... but it does look sharp, nice update

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: alarmguy
Originally Posted By: 02SE
There are a number of Goldwing owners who wish they had that 6th gear, for me an unacceptable compromise only having 5 speeds. One just needs to read the forums/ this is for people who cruise at GPS 80 MPH interstate speeds.
Those GW owners wish they had the extra gear and all will tell you in addition how MPG goes in the toilet at those speeds.

Click, just a tiny page of 6th gear talk out of thousands

Ok one more ...

Lets also keep in mind the GW exaggerates the speed the bike is going (like a lot of brands from Japan) and why important to use GPS speed.

The number of gears in the transmission, does not determine what the overall gear ratio (primary, transmission, final drive, tire diameter) is in a given bikes top gear. A bike with a three speed transmission could be designed with a taller overall gear ratio in it's top gear, than a "6-speed transmission". Of course that would make a for a very wide-ratio transmission.

We all know that, lets be real though. Less gears = cost savings and less satisfied customers. I knew I would get a response like this from someone. I had 2 - 5 speed bikes and its not enough for someone who rides primarily at GPS speeds of 80 MPH.
I had two criteria for a new bike, 6 speeds and ABS.

MANY people with a 5 speed bike will confirm this with you. Including countless Goldwing riders
5 speeds are cost saving measure OR its on a bike not designed for interstate cruising.

here we go with the 6-speed obsession again... lol

While an additional gear (ie. going from 5 speed to 6 speed) cannot generally be a bad thing (unless they are compromising strength and size to fit the extra gear in what is essentially a space previously designed to hold a five-speed), any engine with a powerband as broad as the Wing can surely do without a sixth gear, especially for relaxed street use. Bikes with narrow powerbands (large V-twins and peaky racebikes) need the close ratios as they are disadvantaged when trying to pull the gaps between gears but on a bike like the Wing (or FJR) with a mile-wide powerband and torque curve, it's as much a marketing gimmick as anything else...

case in point: have a look at the attached dyno (torque curves) and ask yourself if adding or subtracting @ 200 rpm in shift gap will really make a significant difference
galler..._DI_NOISSES_PMT

Now have a look here at a 2018 Milwaukee 8 and see why a 6-speed is critical (noticed how quickly teh torque drops off):
best_fltrxs_107.png

Pretty obvious why one engine NEEDS a six-speed whereas it is clearly optional on the other (two above)...

Originally Posted By: Mik
There are a number of Goldwing owners who wish they had that 6th gear, for me an unacceptable compromise only having 5 speeds. One just needs to read the forums/ this is for people who cruise at GPS 80 MPH interstate speeds.
Those GW owners wish they had the extra gear and all will tell you in addition how MPG goes in the toilet at those speeds.

Click, just a tiny page of 6th gear talk out of thousands

Ok one more ...

Lets also keep in mind the GW exaggerates the speed the bike is going (like a lot of brands from Japan) and why important to use GPS speed.

The number of gears in the transmission, does not determine what the overall gear ratio (primary, transmission, final drive, tire diameter) is in a given bikes top gear. A bike with a three speed transmission could be designed with a taller overall gear ratio in it's top gear, than a "6-speed transmission". Of course that would make a for a very wide-ratio transmission.

We all know that, lets be real though. Less gears = cost savings and less satisfied customers. I knew I would get a response like this from someone. I had 2 - 5 speed bikes and its not enough for someone who rides primarily at GPS speeds of 80 MPH.

MANY people with a 5 speed bike will confirm this with you. Including countless Goldwing riders
5 speeds are cost saving measure OR its on a bike not designed for interstate cruising.

While an additional gear (ie. going from 5 speed to 6 speed) cannot generally be a bad thing (unless they are compromising strength and size to fit the extra gear in what is essentially a space previously designed to hold a five-speed), any engine with a powerband as broad as the Wing can surely do without a sixth gear, especially for relaxed street use. Bikes with narrow powerbands (large V-twins and peaky racebikes) need the close ratios as they are disadvantaged when trying to pull the gaps between gears but on a bike like the Wing (or FJR) with a mile-wide powerband and torque curve, it's as much a marketing gimmick as anything else...

case in point: have a look at the attached dyno (torque curves) and ask yourself if adding or subtracting @ 200 rpm in shift gap will really make a significant difference
galler..._DI_NOISSES_PMT

Now have a look here at a 2018 Milwaukee 8 and see why a 6-speed is critical (noticed how quickly teh torque drops off):
best_fltrxs_107.png

Pretty obvious why one engine NEEDS a six-speed whereas it is clearly optional on the other (two above)...

Your post is comical (ill refrain from posting any further no matter what you say)

Bottom line is the new Goldwing has stepped up up its game, just like Yamaha and updated their old outdated transmissions and engine drive trains. Imagine that, Harley beat them by a full decade!

ANY vehicle is designed with the transmission and engine to work as a unit, doesnt matter if a car, truck, bike, RV or boat.
Your dyno curves are something out of space comparing an engine with a 5 speed against an engine with a 6 speed.

Its not marketing, its upgrading vastly older design with new.
Love to see someone plunk down hard cash for a 4 or 5 speed Corvette, yeah, right.

For some people, all they do is ride in the 75 to 85 MPH range and I dont care what brand it is, you will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS see people wishing for that extra gear if they have a 5 speed bike. Just because you dont care for it, doesnt make the whole world wrong, my gosh, google is your friend go look at the Goldwing owners comments themselves wishing for the 6th speed.
Oh and by the way? Lets talk GPS speed, chances are your 5 speed bike speedometer is lying to you by up to 9% so if as was the case with my Yamaha 5 speed, when the speedo showed 75 my ACTUAL GPS speed was 68/69 MPH.

Anyway, before some people con-volute my comments as pro Harley let me say, I think that the new GOLDWING looks AWESOME and I cant wait to check one out in the showroom now that it has a 6 speed.

I REALLY liked the FJ6 when it came out but was not impressed at all with fit, finish, paint and and materials, yet I could have bought new for a song and a dance, dealer had them so discounted, the real killer for me was also only 5 speeds and the reason was sound as I read all the negative comments by wing owners who ride at my speeds. (and please dont bother quoting speeds unless they are GPS speeds as most 5 speed brands lie to you on the speedometer)

Anyway, if they addressed the above issues and the 6 speed is a big plus I think they will have a great product and competition is good for all of us.

Last edited:
Available airbag, walking mode/reverse DCT...

Yeah, there is a video someplace on how the airbag works, think its for head on.
More complete, there are now airbag suits that you wear!

I never gave the 5 speed transmission in my Goldwing a second thought, from two lane roads to all day Interstate riding. I could roll on the throttle at 45 mph with nary a whimper all the way to 3 digit speeds, without having to "stir the cogs". My 6 speed Harley lugs terribly in 6th below 55 and there's lots of info out there about this. Harley even changed the sprocket ratios in 2010 to try to lessen the lugging. When I'm riding behind guys with 5 speeds, they're working the throttle, while I'm giving my left hand and left foot a workout. The 6 speed on the interstates when trying to get from point A to point B quickly is nice, but I personally avoid Interstate highways.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Mik

galler..._DI_NOISSES_PMT

best_fltrxs_107.png

Your post is comical (ill refrain from posting any further no matter what you say)

Bottom line is the new Goldwing has stepped up up its game, just like Yamaha and updated their old outdated transmissions and engine drive trains. Imagine that, Harley beat them by a full decade!

ANY vehicle is designed with the transmission and engine to work as a unit, doesnt matter if a car, truck, bike, RV or boat.
Your dyno curves are something out of space comparing an engine with a 5 speed against an engine with a 6 speed.

Its not marketing, its upgrading vastly older design with new.
Love to see someone plunk down hard cash for a 4 or 5 speed Corvette, yeah, right.

For some people, all they do is ride in the 75 to 85 MPH range and I dont care what brand it is, you will ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS see people wishing for that extra gear if they have a 5 speed bike. Just because you dont care for it, doesnt make the whole world wrong, my gosh, google is your friend go look at the Goldwing owners comments themselves wishing for the 6th speed.
Oh and by the way? Lets talk GPS speed, chances are your 5 speed bike speedometer is lying to you by up to 9% so if as was the case with my Yamaha 5 speed, when the speedo showed 75 my ACTUAL GPS speed was 68/69 MPH.

Anyway, before some people con-volute my comments as pro Harley let me say, I think that the new GOLDWING looks AWESOME and I cant wait to check one out in the showroom now that it has a 6 speed.

I REALLY liked the FJ6 when it came out but was not impressed at all with fit, finish, paint and and materials, yet I could have bought new for a song and a dance, dealer had them so discounted, the real killer for me was also only 5 speeds and the reason was sound as I read all the negative comments by wing owners who ride at my speeds. (and please dont bother quoting speeds unless they are GPS speeds as most 5 speed brands lie to you on the speedometer)

Anyway, if they addressed the above issues and the 6 speed is a big plus I think they will have a great product and competition is good for all of us.

logic is often perceived as comical by the misinformed and those brainwashed with marketing hype... shame you can't understand the whole principle of gear ratios from a mathematical instead of a marketing sense, but insight like yours keeps people employed in marketing depts....

anyhow, carry on, those with an open mind and powers of reason and observation know your shallow and ill-founded obsession with 6-speeds to be misguided... if you ever get around to buying/riding a bike whose powerband doesn't fall off a cliff at 2500 rpm, you will see what I mean....

P.S. I suspect you likely think the Milwaukee 8 is a giant leap forward in engine design too, lol

Speedometer error has nothing to do with the number of gears in the transmission. Harley DOES have pretty accurate speedometers by design. Most other manufacturers design their bike speedometers with intentionally optimistic speedometer error. Why? because by regulation they CANNOT read low, or the manufacturer can be penalized. So in order to avoid that possible penalty, they intentionally design them to read high.

There are several devices to correct speedometer error, by the end user: Yellow box, Speedohealer, etc., etc.

Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: grampi

So true. I have a 4 speed in my VT1100, and can cruise 85 mph all day. Heck, I don't even shift into 4th gear unless I am above 65.
The newer (starting in '95 till '07) Shadow 1100's had a 5 speed, and some gripe about wanting another gear.
My brother wishes his '95 883 had another gear (it is a 5 speed), and I agree. At 75 in 5th gear, I found I was always wanting to shift one more time.
One of the good things if you have a chain drive, you can do a sprocket swap and change the gearing some. Shaft and belt drives are pretty much out of luck.

Not always: if your brother wants a higher final drive on his 883 SPortster, he has do it by swapping to the primary chain and gears for a 1200.

... My 6 speed Harley lugs terribly in 6th below 55 and there's lots of info out there about this. Harley even changed the sprocket ratios in 2010 to try to lessen the lugging. When I'm riding behind guys with 5 speeds, they're working the throttle, while I'm giving my left hand and left foot a workout. The 6 speed on the interstates when trying to get from point A to point B quickly is nice, but I personally avoid Interstate highways.
wink.gif

Well, first we need to compare new models with new models, meaning the new bikes not decade old bikes, but with that said, I am not discounting a word you say, after all, any product, bike, car, truck should lug terribly if it has a 6th gear and you are doing 55MPH in that gear.

Purpose of my statement is for people looking to cruise at true GPS 75 to 85 + MPH interstate speeds for hours at a time and you will find many people, no matter the brand, who have 5 speeds wish for 6 just like they would if they had a 5 speed automobile and drove at those speeds. If I am spending $20,000 + on a motorcycle it better be able to keep up with my $20,000 automobile and cruise effortlessly and efficiently at 85 MPH.
Goldwing MPG at those speeds sinks down to 28 to 32 MPG and my wifes Mazda gets better MPG then that. :eek:)

(just discussing here) but its not me, I dont own many of these brands but I did own 2 Asian brands and I always wished for the 6th and in every forum on the internet there are those who do to and every respectable brand automobile with a gear shift will have that too and now, every respectable motorcycle maker does too, (in the higher cc)

Last edited:

Speedometer error has nothing to do with the number of gears in the transmission. Harley DOES have pretty accurate speedometers by design. Most other manufacturers design their bike speedometers with intentionally optimistic speedometer error. Why? because by regulation they CANNOT read low, or the manufacturer can be penalized. So in order to avoid that possible penalty, they intentionally design them to read high.

There are several devices to correct speedometer error, by the end user: Yellow box, Speedohealer, etc., etc.

Completely disagree with you, seems to always be the excuse for 5 speed Asian brand bikes to make you think you are going faster then you are so their speedometers dont read to low. Its really laughable and I read those excuses on the internet all day long, liability concerns, speedo CYA concerns.

I never said speedo error have anything to do with the number of gears, I say speedo error in Asian brands seem to be the norm with their 5 speed bikes, how VERY convenient to make the rider think he is going faster then he is in the VSTAR 1300 it is almost 10%, so those RPMs dont make him wish for that next gear.
Its almost dangerous, always used to wonder why cars were rushing by me on the interstate when I was doing 75 to 80 MPH, till I put a gps on the bike and found out I was doing 69 to 73 (+/- 1 mph)

But never mind that, you would think these "advanced" Asian brands would be able to match Harley Davidson and come out with a speedo that is accurate. :eek:) (just having fun here) I mean come on already, think about it, for gods sake, ALL these companies are so incompetent they they cant produce a bike with at speedometer that is accurate, if so, they are not as advanced as one thinks.

Last edited:
I never gave the 5 speed transmission in my Goldwing a second thought, from two lane roads to all day Interstate riding. I could roll on the throttle at 45 mph with nary a whimper all the way to 3 digit speeds, without having to "stir the cogs". My 6 speed Harley lugs terribly in 6th below 55 and there's lots of info out there about this. Harley even changed the sprocket ratios in 2010 to try to lessen the lugging. When I'm riding behind guys with 5 speeds, they're working the throttle, while I'm giving my left hand and left foot a workout. The 6 speed on the interstates when trying to get from point A to point B quickly is nice, but I personally avoid Interstate highways.
wink.gif

thanks for proving my point... don`t expect the Disillusioned One to believe or understand, however, Harley marketing got to him... lol Probably thinks a gear labelled Overdrive has special powers too, lol (despite the terms being a marketing expression with no factual meaning). Good thing Harley can depend on such learned folks to sell bikes.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back