Why do salesmen think if you test drive a car, you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I know someone that sold their loaded mint condition low mile Accord V6 to them. First they offered $9500. But were able to negotiate the price up to $12k. Then Carmax listed it on their lot for the no haggle price of $17k.

Originally Posted By: ;547557
I was offered 9500, low KBB as a trade in. I could've waited & sold it private party for 14K reasonably. I went with Carmax due to both price & speed. They gave me 12K & now they plan to sell it for 1K above retail. They do their own financing, so they might get it. I took the cash & found the MDX for 8300.

So you can haggle with those monsters.
smile.gif

You can haggle on the trade in, but most people report no luck on the purchase side. But I think they do drop their prices if it doesn't sell so you could always check back in later.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
That's funny, this reminds me of a post a few days back where a salesman wouldn't let someone test drive a vehicle if they weren't planning to buy it that day. I mean, how would he know he wanted the car without a test drive?

He could be sorting potential buyers from tire kickers. Or maybe another sales approach of making a product appear hard to get.

Claud.

I know someone that sold their loaded mint condition low mile Accord V6 to them. First they offered $9500. But were able to negotiate the price up to $12k. Then Carmax listed it on their lot for the no haggle price of $17k.

smile.gif

Yes, they plan to buy low and sell high, otherwise they would not be in business.

I bought my Liberty at Carmax back in 07 and it was a great deal, great condition.

However, it seems like now they buy vehicles that look good on paper but in below average condition so they can sell it a lower price and look like a better deal to a person that doesn't know about vehicles.

For example, say they have a 2015 Tahoe LT, for $40 grand, 50k miles, pretty beat up but they can spit shine it well enough. A normal dealer might have a similar one listed for $47 grand, but it's actually almost like new. 99% of people will go with the low price, no haggle one because they feel it's the same vehicle.

Originally Posted By: SeaJay

smile.gif

Yes, they plan to buy low and sell high, otherwise they would not be in business.

We marked most used cars up at least $5K some higher. That seemed to be the going rate at the 5 different dealerships I worked for. It was funny when someone came in and said they'd pay $14,500 for a car we had listed at $15,999. Watching their face when I said if you take it home today I'll do it, priceless........Not trying to work them higher. Almost all of them went home with a car that day. We even had people go $500 under the offer thinking they got over on us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back