Mobil 1 0w-40, 9k MI, '07 Infiniti G35x 2nd UOA

Status
Not open for further replies.
The first UOA is listed here. This has had a steady diet of M1 0w-40 since I bought it a few years ago with 45k miles. Filters have usually been the M1-108 except for a few PureOnes along the way - first UOA was a P1.

The last few runs have been the new "FS" formula. I'm glad it seems to perform about the same. Filter was an M1-108a. Note: this is the VQ35HR, not the "DE" they have listed.

I was in Fort Wayne for a couple days (for work) so I was able to drop this off in person yesterday. They finished it before EOB today!

OCI was approx 5 months and 9,588 miles, so obviously a lot of highway miles. I tend to drive a bit "spirited" with some WOT.

10 years old... Time to switch to a High Mileage synthetic oil. Any brand full synthetic HM 5w30 you see will do it. Keeps those seals flexible so leaks don't start happening.

Good report. I really think you'd get the same results using the OEM spec viscosity 5w30 or 0w30 oil though. And better MPG and peak power too.

This looks very good to me, 9588 miles and only 11 ppm iron and with a retained TBN of 4.0 shows a lot more life left in the oil and nice low wear numbers.

The oil looks good too with Ca at 2700 ppm, Boron at 155 ppm, Moly at 73 ppm and Zinc a strong 968 ppm. With a KV100 of 12.85 cSt it's still within it's viscosity grade, and at the thin end (typical of a 0W40), with 12.5 cSt being the J300 30 grade cut off.

With the long-life Euro spec M1 0W40 A3/B4 being this good, I still don't understand the point of M1 AP (apart from marketing).

Originally Posted By: SR5
With the long-life Euro spec M1 0W40 A3/B4 being this good, I still don't understand the point of M1 AP (apart from marketing).

Who's to say the 5w30 M1 AP isn't simply a 0w40 without as much VII, and with Mg substituting for all that Ca (for LSPI prevention)?
They could have easily done that.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies

Who's to say the 5w30 M1 AP isn't simply a 0w40 without as much VII, and with Mg substituting for all that Ca (for LSPI prevention)?
They could have easily done that.

Well to be Euro A3/B4 it is required to have a TBN above 10, with something like 11 to 12 being typical values. It's also common (but not strictly necessary) for Euro grades to have about 1000 ppm Zinc for strong wear protection over a long OCI. Don't forget in Europe a typical OCI on a synthetic A3/B4 oil would typically be 20,000 miles and 2 years.

M1 0W40 FS is listed as 1100 ppm zinc in Mobil documents with a 12.6 for the TBN .

Here is a VOA for M1 0W20 AP
https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/4401328/
It has a TBN of 7.8 with 520 ppm Zinc, much lower numbers.
Also the M1 0W20 AP has Ca at 785 ppm and Mg at 581 ppm to give a total Ca + Mg = 1366 ppm, while the UOA above for M1 0W40 A3/B4 shows 2732 ppm Ca which is about double, also the M1 0W40 has 155ppm Boron, again about double the 74ppm Boron for the M1 0W20 AP.

Not saying M1 AP is a bad oil, the opposite in fact, I'm sure it's a good oil like all M1 products. But I believe the M1 0W40 with Euro OEM specs like MB 229.5 and Porsche A40 is still their best oil and would still be my personal pick if I could only get one M1 product.

I agree with you SR5. Based upon specs the Mobil 1 0w40 is their best offering available. I do strongly suspect that the Mobil 1 annual protection has a lot of shall we say goodies in it that don't show up on a VOA. I also saw where an elemental analysis by Napa was a fair amount different than the ones by Blackstone. Makes one wonder a bit about that has well.

Originally Posted By: oil_film_movies
10 years old... Time to switch to a High Mileage synthetic oil. Any brand full synthetic HM 5w30 you see will do it. Keeps those seals flexible so leaks don't start happening

I usually have a good sarcasm detector. But I'm putting that one down to mental failure.

OP seems like a good run to me!

Being M1 AP is offered only in 20's and 30's seems that's another market. I would not think there are that many (outside a group like this) running a grade higher. Have already done so on my ecoboost - and M1 0w40 is the next oil I have on deck - paid $23/jug with free shipping...
My searches were defaulting local a few days back in Oz - that's where this one appeared:

Originally Posted By: 4WD
Being M1 AP is offered only in 20's and 30's seems that's another market.

Yeah, that makes sense. I personally would just step it up a grade, especially if DI and fuel dilution was a concern over a long OCI. But I can see many wanting to follow the book, which is fair enough. Still when did one year become a long oil change ? That is my standard.

Are you in Texas or Oz ?

Last edited:
Excellent run from what is arguably Mobil's best PCMO product
thumbsup2.gif
Keep doing what you are doing.

This looks very good to me, 9588 miles and only 11 ppm iron and with a retained TBN of 4.0 shows a lot more life left in the oil and nice low wear numbers.

The oil looks good too with Ca at 2700 ppm, Boron at 155 ppm, Moly at 73 ppm and Zinc a strong 968 ppm. With a KV100 of 12.85 cSt it's still within it's viscosity grade, and at the thin end (typical of a 0W40), with 12.5 cSt being the J300 30 grade cut off.

Marketing works.

Originally Posted By: 28oz
Very nice on the VQ! Wish Mobil 1 0W-40 held up that well against shear in my VG30DE.

Apparently my VQ was much easier on the oil than your VG! Wonder why that is. It looks like Blackstone chose the wrong engine code for yours too.

Thanks for the input everyone. I was mostly concerned if the "FS" version of 0w-40 would hold up the same - glad to see it does! I also felt a little bad going nearly 10k with an engine that's supposedly hard on oil. The M1-108 filter also seems super small compared to some other vehicles I've worked on. More M1 it is!

You can run the Mobil 1-110a filter if you want too. It is a bit larger. I agree with you that the 108 is very small. And like everyone else has said... Hard to beat Mobil 1 0w40.

Before the 92k change the Cruze was down a quart 1st time ever - and also 1st time to see oil on underside (none on concrete) - started it on M1 0w40. Unfortunately I'm missing the tip for Db meter - but it purred on that oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back